Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Droncit poss reaction? Will post pic

Hurleylj

Lairian
Hi everybody.
Hope this is ok to post.
I took my newest boy Loki to the vet Mon, they sent us home with 2 x 20mg of Droncit solution and told to put on the back of his neck and another 20mg in a weeks time.
However when I did he cried so bad, he was in agony! Staight away be wet himself , he started foaming at the mouth and after going crazy he just stayed still staring into space, honestly he looked mentally scarred. I immediately called the vet to which receptionist told me foaming is normal if he licked it and as long as he isn’t fitting or fainted just keep an eye for next 30 mins but all sounds fine. Anyway his skin just was so red in that area and looked like it was bunt and peeling. I will post pics of anybody can tell me if it’s normal? I am too worried to try wash the area incase it is his skin. But it came up straight after. I have told the vet there is no way I am putting another one on him in 1 weeks time and asked if it was possible to perhaps give him a pill and I would return the 20mg of solution I’m not going to use. She said this is not possible to return as they do not know how I have stored it but can buy pills from them. Am
I In the wrong for feeing unhappy with the service provided or is this normal?
The pics posted will be shortly after applying the solution and the next day.
Thank you for reading

Loretta, Loki and Dobby xxx

Attachments

• EE37AD94-A38A-4FFA-AAE5-45A7A38EB865.jpeg
    EE37AD94-A38A-4FFA-AAE5-45A7A38EB865.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 18
  • E8484364-F064-4862-9A7A-138B1235749F.jpeg
    E8484364-F064-4862-9A7A-138B1235749F.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 17
  • CF09329D-4140-4012-BF46-C334E3274C6A.jpeg
    CF09329D-4140-4012-BF46-C334E3274C6A.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 18

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Hurleylj oh my... I would NOT apply again personally. fill me in, droncit is a dewormer. are they treating Loki for skin issue or giving for deworming?

poor baby. I would not have been happy either with the service. did you sent them the pics? did they give any medications or creams? do you have or can get any vetericyn spray in your area? my heart... poor Loki.

1593650980943.png

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
That is NOT normal. It looks like he got a chemical burn from it. I would definitely go with something else. I would also gently wash the area to get any leftover off of his skin so it can heal. It may still be doing damage.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Oh gosh...no I would not administer again. This is very scary. Contact your vet. If they had this adverse reaction from it being applied to skin, I’d greatly fear reaction if they tried to clean themselves and ingested this.

Hurleylj

Lairian
I can’t thank you all enough for your replies! I feel awful and the fact the vet is making out it’s nothing and expects me to do it again, which I reassure you I definitely will not. I have only had Loki 3 weeks, and he is the sweetest happiest boy. It broke my heart and I was in a major panic. I have registered him and Dobby at a different vets as I really am not happy . They were treating him for deworming (not that he definitely has them just incase) I will look into getting a cream or the spray mentioned above. And will gently wash the area now. I will be going to the vets today where he was given it and show the pictures but I won’t hold my breath! Thanks again, I am so glad to have found this site x

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Kudos to you for trusting your gut. I am assuming the vet will be shocked that the reaction was a severe as it was. Yes, Sphynx are cats, but the lack of fur does in some ways make them a bit different when it comes to skin sensitivities, especially topical applications/things. Let us know how you make out and how the new vet is. @Hurleylj

Back