Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dry cat food?

marilyn

Lairian
So im currently using science diet for sophia's dry food. Everybody i talk to and all the feed back online recommands that this is one of the best dry foods. Then i went into a pet store and she totally disagreed and gave me samples to try of what she sells in her store. Its called (sojo's), and its a European style cat food mix. What you do is mix fresh chicken or beef in this cat food and it almost looks like oat meal mix with barley flakes, ground pecans, kelp, ect. It's suppost to be good stuff. I'm going to try it tonight for her dinner. What does everybody think, and what dry food do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
IMO Science Diet is not that good of food.
I have never heard of the stuff the pet store told you to use.
Sounds like they get something for pushing it.
I feed Royal Canin to Polar Bare because he breeder said to.
Cleo and Wrinkles get N/B Duck and Green Pea.
That is the only food that Wrinkles can eat without getting hives all over.
I also use Blue Spa,Taste of the Wild and Chicken Soup for the cat lovers soul.
I do not feed raw but that is your choice.
Ty would have lived longer if he had not been on raw.
It was in the necropsy report.

marilyn

Lairian

I make steamed chicken breast for sophia. I dont give it to her raw. I make sure it's cooked all the way though. She seems to love it, and her breeder had her on it before i got her. :Smile:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Many of the breeders feed cooked chicken at the show.
I give the baby food with nothing added.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
We feed science diet dry and wet to our 3 and our kittens and love this food. We have never had any problems. Our one cat was re homed to us and made the switch easily the other 2 are from 2 different breeders and both of them suggested science diet so that is what we went with.

I have not heard of the food you mentioned but it sounds like they are just pushing their brand, anyway if you choose to switch remember to do it slowly because a quick food switch can cause an upset belly and some very yucky poop.

Last edited by a moderator:

susi794

Staff member

What???? This is the first time I ever heard something bad about feeding raw--if it's done properly. What did the necropsy report say was wrong with feeding raw and how would that have prolonged Ty's life? I'm really interested in what they said as I would prefer to feed raw, but can't keep up with all the meat I need to get and store.
So lately we eat mostly Taste of the Wild with some Little Friskies wet thrown in here and there.

holly_savage

Banned
I too am interested in the info about the raw. I have fed raw to Hibou, but it really is a lot more involved than prepared foods.
Hibou eats NOW! brand grain free (a Canadian food) or Taste of the wild. And for wet its a mish mash of Blue, Fancy Feast or Science Diet (whichever of them I can get my hands on at the time that comes in a "SLICED" format since that is all she will eat! It doesn't seem to bother her to switch them around from day to day.

The new kitten is on Royal Canin so I guess I will have to get some to start transitioning her to the same as Hibou.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They found a liver shunt in Ty but it said on the report that feeding raw made him worse and destroyed his insides so I am afraid to feed raw to any of the cats.
They said he had salmonia bad spelling from the raw also.
Holly all cats from Cleos breeder are fed Royal Canin.
Cleo was also and it made her sick.
She would have blood when she went to the bathroom when I switched from the kitten food to the RC 33 and she got hives right before a show.
Polar eats the RC with no problem.
The raw Ty had was prepacked raw.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I feed Blue Buffalo Duck formula for dry to Snuffie, took her a month or so to decide she liked it but she gobbles it up now. We tried the canned BB Duck and she would turn her nose up at it and make horrible faces eating it, most of the time she never ate it all and to add it smelled awful and ughhh it turned my stomach just giving it to her so I give her one can of meow mix for soft food a day. I don't recommend Meow Mix dry food but after doing research on their canned its pretty high in protein and has very little additives.

Bella07

Banned
I have never been "in-the-know" when it comes to cat/dog foods and what is better over the other. All I know is that my cat lived to be 20 years old with a diet of Fancy Feast (wet and dry) so to this day, that remains to be my favorite food! Currently though, my two cats prefer to eat Indoor Cat Formula over Fancy Feast, so that's their dry food for now!

Anyone know if Indoor cat formula is a good brand of food?

I We tried the canned BB Duck and she would turn her nose up at it and make horrible faces eating it, most of the time she never ate it all and to add it smelled awful and ughhh it turned my stomach just giving it to her so I give her one can of meow mix for soft food a day.

:LOL::LOL:
I just gave the canned BB Duck to mine this week and had the same response! They were not at all impressed.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
:LOL::LOL:
I just gave the canned BB Duck to mine this week and had the same response! They were not at all impressed.

Yeah,,I was even mixing her Iams (at that time) in with it which she always scarfed down and she wouldnt hardly touch it at all,,she just looked as me as if I had ruined her Iams. lol

I'm glad I decided to take her off of that tho since they just recently had a recall..whew,,close call!

I just went to the store and found all the catfoods I was willing to try, wrote them down, came back home, got online and did research and weighed the pros and cons and finally decided on meow mix canned. I didn't try to transition her onto it because I already had her all screwed up with the BB canned duck so I just did a cold switch and within 3 days or so she was having normal litter box habits so she is happy and I'm happy so I'm sticking with it!! lol

Finding a food you and your kitty are both happy with is hard to do sometimes.

Inferno12

Banned
ahhh the food saga.....I have had so many problems with Johnny and his tummy. He was raised on RC and I tried to switch him because he had loose stools and I tried so many fancy expensive brands. I then tried RC special 33 which is for sensitive stomachs and it firmed up his poops a little bit and we have just stuck to that. My breeder informed me the other day that her cats all started breaking out and getting weird rashes and loosing patches of hair (the little hair that they had). She found out that RC had changed their formula and she had another breeder recommend purina one to her and she felt wierd trying it because it wasnt a fancy food. Well all of the problems with her cats cleared up. Bareghi, who is one of Johnnys sons is exactly like him including the stomach problems and all of those problems have stopped since she switched the food. I think I am going to try it but I also feel bad because I want to feed Johnny the best I can but who doesnt have a cat that has lived a long time on friskies type food!

holly_savage

Banned
I hear ya on the Friskies (mine was Meow-Mix - but same difference). Heck our barn cats were fed dog kibble...and household leftovers. That way they always had something to fall back onto, but they were more keen on hunting the mice and such they were there to do.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I always fed my DSH kitties Meow Mix and I lived and died by it. I didn't get food concious until Snuffie came into my life and I learned Sphynx needed something more healthy.

AmaTsuKami

Lairian
I've fed my cats different brands of dry kibble for a long time, until I started feeding them raw several years ago. I never had any problems with raw, I wean my kittens on raw, and my dogs and puppies get raw too. We do have complete raw food, so no need to mix in anything else. I know that dogs can not get salmonella, because the acid in their stomach is so much stronger than ours. Don't know about cats?

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've never heard of that one you mentioned either?! Maybe it's a new one that they are encouraging people to try out? I have Mo on Hills Prescription diet - Low Allergen Z/D which has been the best food suited to him since I got him. We've tried a few different ones, but since the vet put him on this at Christmas we've had less problems with his bowels! Still not perfection, but the best option for him! We have 2 or 3 soft stools a day since christmas on this diet as apposed to 5 - 6 watery stools on anything else before! He has the odd bit of Applaws chicken and pumpkin for a treat.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My two cents worth - when I got my Abby kitten the:Laugh: breeder recommended Iams. When at home the other cats were eating Purina Cat Chow and the new kitten WOULD NOT eat the Iams but went straight for the cat chow. I do feed all my felines cooked meats such as chicken, fish, venison and some beef. I have never had any issues with this formula. (knock-on-wood).

Dogs and cats do not have any nutritional requirement for carbohydrates whatsoever. Amylase is what breaks down carbohydrates and while dogs may have a very small amount secreted in their saliva, cats do not. They have short digestive tracts that are unable to process carbohydrates and grains. So all in all, you're wasting your money on Science Diet, Iams, Purina cat chow(which WILL give your cat bladder infections, crystals and stones), etc. They physically are unable to digest any of the corn, wheat, soy, rice and any other grains that are in the foods. These grains promote allergies, IBS, dental disease, poor skin and coat quality, poor urinary tract health, diabetes... I could keep naming many known disease processes caused by grain usage in dog and cat food.

Just because they seem to be doing well on a certain food, doesn't mean they are internally. All of these poor quality foods add fiber to combat the high amounts of grains and by-products they use, which prevents the uncontrollable diarrhea from happening because the cat is just trying to get the unprocessed food out as quickly as possible.

All of the carbs in the food turn to sugar and sugar creates yeast; on the body and in the ears creating skin infections, allergies, ear infections. Sugar from the carbs creates poor dental health, cavities, tartar and calculus build-up. These sugars also predispose the cats to obesity and diabetes since sugars are used up quickly and therefore the cats feel they need to eat more to get their energy requirements.

When you feed grain-free, high quality foods without by-products, corn, wheat or soy, you will see how good your cats will look and feel. It may take a few weeks for them to detox from these highly processed, high-grain diets, but as long as you push through it, their bodies will relearn how to digest properly and the IBS will disappear, the allergies will disappear, they will control their weight, their teeth will look good and breath will smell better, they use the litterbox much less and you will be feeding much less food. The end result is you will be spending alot less money on vet bills trying to find the cause of the diarrhea, the vomiting, why the cat has gained two pounds in the last year, fixing ear infections, dental cleanings and extractions and lord knows what else. You'll also be spending less money on cat food since they will be eating less.

TruthaboutPetFood.com

Oh, and don't buy EVO... They just sold out to Proctor & Gamble, who promote abusive animal testing. There are much better foods out there.

Shauntay

Banned
Thank you Bare for the information regarding Evo, I agree with your post 100%. And thank goodness for this forum or I might not have found out about the buyout for some time! My cats are all on Evo. I am a strong believer in raw cat foods, but I just dont have the time or tools or knowledge to grind down my own raw. I attended a pet food seminar late last year and Innova was commended for its high quality proteins and little to no grains. I also dont want to have anything to do with P&G, let alone a company associated with Iams. Expect nutura pet foods prices to go up and quality go down. I think I will make the switch to Wellness. my youngest sphynx has a possible chicken allergy, so I will need to find a duck or fish based formula.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am guilty of mixing in a random grocery store brand in with the blue buffalo. Not often. Sometimes other things. I think it must be boring to eat the same flavored food all the time. I have mixed in Nutro, Iams, Meow mix, royal canin, ect. They have been on the blue buffalo alone for 2 months. The only reason I haven't mixed something in is because of all the poop issues. They all have solid poop now though! When I mix it in, its a small bag of the other and the biggest bag of blue buffalo.

Back