Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dry ear?

KushielsTart

Lairian
My poor little Loki has been scratching in one ear constantly, enough that he's made the outer ear bleed. We cleaned it today and found that rather than being full of wax like wen suspected, it was completely dry. What little wax is in there is all crumbly. Is there anything you guys know of that we can do to make his ear moist?

ShadyLaine

Lairian
Are you using Epi-Otic for ear cleaning? If so, it has been known to dry out the ears too much for regular cleaning - there is a drying agent in it, and it is normally used in breeds with constant waxy buildup. However, in cats I have found in practice that it dries the ears out too much and can cause aggitation. You can get gentler cleansers, ask your veterinarian or check pet product shops such as petsmart.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
A sphynx pretty much always has ear wax more so because of the lack of hair in the ear to push it out. If the ear is so dry inside that your kitty is scratching there sounds to be something wrong could be a infection or something stuck in the ear canal preventing wax to come out. Ear infections are very painful and if the itching keeps up with no sign of wax I would see the vet on Monday to be sure.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree, anything irritating your cat enough to scratch to the point of making the outer pinna bleed needs to be checked out. Sounds like a bigger problem than just dry skin in the ear. Would get it checked out by the vet Monday.
While you are waiting for your vet visit you may want to try a couple of drops of coconut oil in the ear to break the crumbly wax up. You would have to warm your coconut oil to liquid consistancy.
I know with human ears and dry wax buildup I have used a few drops of baby oil in the ears and it helps get stuff out. However with sphynx I would use coconut oil instead.

Adventures of A Naked Cat

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Are you using Epi-Otic for ear cleaning? If so, it has been known to dry out the ears too much for regular cleaning - there is a drying agent in it, and it is normally used in breeds with constant waxy buildup. However, in cats I have found in practice that it dries the ears out too much and can cause aggitation. You can get gentler cleansers, ask your veterinarian or check pet product shops such as petsmart.
Exactly what ShadyLaine said. I was just going to add that if the kitty is scratching that much then you should probably have your vet check it.