Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dry eyes / meibomian gland dysfunction

Izidora

Lairian
llo everyone, I wanted to ask about a certain condition and have any of you had experience with it. My cat is squinting from his birth. On our first vet check up and after Schirmer's test, they found out his eyes are dry and do not produce enough moisture. we were given artificial tears. we also did the tests for chlamydia, any physical damage to the eye etc., it was all negative.
After months of treatments, tests and eye drops(sometimes artificial tears, sometimes antibiotics because his eyes often catch inflamations), the new ophtalmologist discovered that my sphynx's meibomian glands(the glands on the edge of the eyelid that moisten the eye) look strange. Squeezing the eyelids showed no discharge from the glands, normally it should. The ophtalmologist suspected that the glands might be clogged but after that test with squeezing, he says he thinks they are not active at all :( Last week we got a cream of some sort and new artificial tears, but he developed an allergy reaction to the cream so I stopped using it. Still don't know what to do. Today we visited the ophtalmologist again, he took the pics of my sphynx's eyes and said he will consult someone else. It would be helpful to know if there are other cats like this or are we a rare case?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Izidora , welcome to the lair family
Awh....Healing vibes sent amd head smooches
My kitty had Terramycin for her eyes

Did the vet they rule out entropian or ectropian?

@NourKotze , amd other members may have some eye info to share

Please keep us updated often

Izidora

Lairian
Thank you :)
Yes, they said it's not entropion. That was actually his first diagnosis but I went to 4 other vets later and they all said it is not that thing. I will keep you updated. Sphynx is not really common or popular in my country but nevermind that, this is a state that any cat could get into.

Sheldon13

Staff member
There is a laser procedure done in humans for the same condition in the States. I don't know about other countries or on cats, but it's out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Staff member
Yes it is a laser directly to the glands that opens them up. Lemme go look it up hang on...

Izidora

Lairian
@Sheldon13 Thank you! :cat: I will check with my ophtalmologist, does something like that even exist in my country..for people, maybe it does but I am not so sure about animals..

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Did your vet talk about entropian. Do a search here in the community about it. We have seen several with this condition.

Izidora

Lairian
Yes they did, it is not entropion. 1 vet thought it was, while 4 others said it is not. After the test for eye moisture, it was clear that his eyes are dry but they did not know why. The latest ophthalmologist we went to did the gland test, squeezed them and nothing came out. He also did the same thing on another cat to show me how they should secrete something and most obvious, the appearance of that cat's eyelids and my cat's eyelids, it looks nothing similar. Mine seems to have small dots on both his eyelids and when magnified, it appears as if every gland is blocked/closed.
The only thing we can do is clean the eyes and apply hot compresses and I assure you, it's virtually impossible even when I wrap him up in a blanket like a burrito...he squeals and wriggles whenever I put it to his eye.:(

Sheldon13

Staff member
Another treatment is increasing omega oils in the diet. You could try that? I think what really needs to happen though is for those glands to open up. Warm compresses help immensely so it's a bummer he won't let you.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
llo everyone, I wanted to ask about a certain condition and have any of you had experience with it. My cat is squinting from his birth. On our first vet check up and after Schirmer's test, they found out his eyes are dry and do not produce enough moisture. we were given artificial tears. we also did the tests for chlamydia, any physical damage to the eye etc., it was all negative.
After months of treatments, tests and eye drops(sometimes artificial tears, sometimes antibiotics because his eyes often catch inflamations), the new ophtalmologist discovered that my sphynx's meibomian glands(the glands on the edge of the eyelid that moisten the eye) look strange. Squeezing the eyelids showed no discharge from the glands, normally it should. The ophtalmologist suspected that the glands might be clogged but after that test with squeezing, he says he thinks they are not active at all :( Last week we got a cream of some sort and new artificial tears, but he developed an allergy reaction to the cream so I stopped using it. Still don't know what to do. Today we visited the ophtalmologist again, he took the pics of my sphynx's eyes and said he will consult someone else. It would be helpful to know if there are other cats like this or are we a rare case?
Sorry to hear of this, please look thru these posts, there may be some useful info - Search Results for Query: entropion | Sphynxlair :)

Izidora

Lairian
Another treatment is increasing omega oils in the diet. You could try that?

I will but how? The only thing that comes in mind is bringing fresh fish which he won't eat. He ate only kibble at his breeder's so now I'm having a difficult time to make him eat anything else, he even isn't a big fan of wet food. But I will try with fresh sardines. I guess the omega 3 pills for humans aren't really the best option, huh?

Izidora

Lairian
oh nevermind I found it! admin can delete my previous post :D

So this is Silvio....I know it may look like entropion but FOUR vets said it is not! I am SUPER confused and freaked out and I just want the poor boy to be healthy. Schirmer's test showed dry eyes and that's what my usual vet discovered but I was not completely satisfied with his service so I went to the other guy who is an ophthalmologist. The last thing that my vet gave Silvio was cyclosporine drops but nothing seemed to be better. Right now we are only cleaning the eyes and applying artificial tears as I wait for the ophthalmologist to check up on those meibomian glands.

On the pics I uploaded, we are recovering from this allergic reaction to this Opticorn cream, his eyes are usually not this red/swollen, he is only squinting. The last two pics is his eyes being "good" and "sort of opened". As I said before, when we play, his eyes are fully opened, but all other times he's in a squint-mode.

Attachments

• 16507573_794102170744530_698324790_n.jpg
    16507573_794102170744530_698324790_n.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 16521602_794091827412231_1653157908_n.jpg
    16521602_794091827412231_1653157908_n.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 16650544_796992093788871_1916855827_n.jpg
    16650544_796992093788871_1916855827_n.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 15878749_768399716648109_1057941212_n.jpg
    15878749_768399716648109_1057941212_n.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN3028.jpg
    DSCN3028.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

NourKotze

Lairian
My boy just went through an entropian operation in January, its not easy rather difficult to deal with but really very worth it. You are describing more of a dry eye issue which is quite different than what we experienced. I must add that our vet immediately diagnosed entropian although he did add that he always only dealt with it in dogs ie Saint Bernard, Great Danes ect that are more suseptable to develop it and it was the first time he personally saw a cat with it but he knew enough to recognise it and the subsequent eye drops and creams he gave us aleviated the situation abit although he DID say it is a condition and it would be best if we considered rectifying the rootcause (inturned eyelids) as it can cause blindness in the future due to scratches/damage to the cornea of the eye. We never experienced dryness in his eyes infact we had the opposite, his eyes were overproducing mucus to try and rid his eyes from the foreign (eyelashes) scratching his eyes, they were always red, swollen and pussing but but remember most vets know about entropian in animals although mostly in dogs so it is not something they expect to see in cats. Prayers to u and ur baby do let us know what happens

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Izidora , we are here for you ..
Silvio is soooo cute!

Positve vibes semt
So sorry he had an allergic reaction to the cream

I found this product with a positive review by many for dry eye
Puralube Vet Ointment Sterile Ocular Lubricant for Dogs & Cats, 3.5g tube
You could ask vet about

I am dealing with my dog with severe sensitivities to medications.
This week i started using Vetericyn eye wash and vetericyn opthalmic gel on him and it is working well.
Just wanted to pass it on

Vetericyn Plus Eye Wash for Pets, 4-oz bottle

Not sure if vetericyn is available at your vet or online -
Many of us use Vetericyn products
Non toxic amd no prescription needed

I don't have experience with dry eye and hopeful others will chime in-
I did see you noted Several vets ruled out entropion.

All paws crossed adorable Silvio gets relief

Looking forward to positive updates
(((Hugs)))

Last edited:

Izidora

Lairian
Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome :):cat:
Right now his eyes are no more red/irritated from that cream, they're "back to normal" which means dry and squint. I am cleaning them as much as I can, put artificial tears but the hot compresses are still a no-no :(
How do I increase omega 3, except for trying with fresh sardines which I doubt he will want to eat? :(

Sheldon13

Staff member
Here is a supplement chart. You can give fish oil from the pharmacy. Also salmon oil is high. You can buy sardine oil straight and won't have to feed the fish. Hare-today sells both salmon and sardine oil in a pump bottle.

3f083113d658c6ad63b2f701864683dd.jpg

Izidora

Lairian
As I understand, the converter told me Silvio is now 10 pounds - 4,5 kg. I will check on the chart and see about the oil in pharmacy, I will mix it into his food, hope he won't mind it :D It will surely be easier than to feed him fish because he is not a big fan of raw meat. Last week we tried with a little chicken breast and he ate it but his face was hilarious, as if he hates it but still wants to eat it because of Joshira (she's a meat eater).

Izidora

Lairian
Here's a pic - Silvio chilling last night :)
On the other pic he is with Joshira.

Attachments

• 16736669_798737873614293_1525302684_n.jpg
    16736669_798737873614293_1525302684_n.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN3073.JPG
    DSCN3073.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 40

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Izidora , yah! So very very Happy for Silvio's clear HCM scan! Purrfect News!

Love the pics you shared of Silvio and Joshira :)
Head smooches sent

Back