Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dry eyes / meibomian gland dysfunction

Izidora

Lairian
Updates...actually no updates :( Our ophtalmologist went to another country so we're nowhere again. The cyclosporine drops started to irritate Silvio (making him drool on the mouth whenever I put drops in his eyes) so we're back to artificial tears only...not much more we can do :( Still waiting for a response from one vet but I guess he forgot about us. Our first doctor also told us we could try with this:
Artelac® Lipids
but it is only artificial tears product, not a solution to make the glands work. His eyes do seem a bit more opened (see pictures) sometimes, but on the other times they look the same. We did Schirmer's test again and the results were bad/low again so the glands aren't doing any better. In the meantime we also switched to raw diet and started with more omega 3 intake (sardines)...he's not fond of them but I mix it in meat so he eats some of it.

Attachments

• DSCN3120.JPG
    DSCN3120.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN3180.JPG
    DSCN3180.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN3184.JPG
    DSCN3184.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 13

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Try green lipped mussels/green lipped mussel powder for the Omega 3, most cat like the taste of that even if they don't like fish and the freeze-dried powder is easier to hide in food.. apparently they also naturally include a bunch of other stuff that sounds useful for lubrication issues

"
  • Omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids to support joint health, immune system function and skin health, and to help regulate metabolic functions* • Naturally occurring glucosamine to support the production of GAGs and integrity of the synovial fluid* • • Chondroitin Sulfates and Protein Factors that work synergistically to regulate the immune response and to neutralize the effects of destructive proteolytic enzymes*
  • • Chondroitin Sulfates to support comfort, improve joint lubrication, elasticity and vasculature* • Hyaluronic Acid to enhance the production of proteoglycans, support synovial fluid, lubricate connective tissue cells, and function as a lubricant between the connective tissues of the skin to retain moisture*"

Back