Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Moezesucks

Lairian
ive been having crazy problems with my kitties and bloody stools. 13000$ and 5 vet visits later i found out pumpkin is the cure. My baby margaret will not eat wet food and so ive been feeding her the pumpkin through a syringe. But i want to make the switch so i can just add it to her food instead of force feeding. Does anyone have any tricks to make the switch? Also wondering if i should just go raw with the whole thing. Thoughts/ideas?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You could try a sample of raw (a couple of days worth), and mash the pumpkin into the raw. Adding 1/3 to 1/3 packet of Fortiflora (which is like crack for cats) may help the transition. Also, if doing raw, you may want to gently warm the raw & pumpkin mixture (place bowl of food in slightly larger bowl of hot water and stir the food for a minute to soak of the heat from the water below.

I'm sure others may weigh in what causes bloody stools.

Wishing your kittie well!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Has your cat been constipated, hard stools, or diarrhea?
Have you tried different can foods, for the one that won't eat canned?
According of course, if nothing health wise is wrong.
A low fat- medium fiber content food will help.
If she likes the pumpkin, she should just eat it by it's self.
If not, just continue giving it like you are. If it works, that's what matters.

Moezesucks

Lairian
well she had giardia for months which was the inital problem. she seems to be in fine health but just messy bloody poops. shes on a prescription diet of hills w-d dry food, but ive been trying to get her to go to the wet so i dont have to force feed her the pumpkin. she doesnt seem to mind the taste she just wont eat wet food. although i have been putting warm water in with her kibble to give it that wet food approach. and honestly pumpkin is the only this that has helped, so i really need to get her on a wet food diet so i dont have to "bottle feed" her every meal.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
If she is having problems with bloody poo all the time, something
is wrong. I would take her to the Vet.

I agree with @Hairless Blessing - if there is no other changes like a food change that can cause bloody stool, I would be concerned. A vet visit is surly in line sooner then later. Also, Giardia is a pest to get rid of, has it been verified its cleared up by your vet? A bit of tuna juice (human canned tuna) has been known to entice kitties to try different types/ kinds of food.

Here some other useful tips/ tricks for bad eating or stubborn habits:

Warm the Food - warm smelly food is more enticing!

Tuna Fish Juice - as mentioned above in my thread. The smellier the better!

Open the Can of cat wet food Front of your sphynx - get them excited at feeding time as well as you getting excited! Sit on the floor and encourage a fun eating time with them!

Spoon Feed me MA -Ma
- I know it sounds ridiculous, but some cats need this to get the process flowing!

NO left overs please! - yes, sphynx can be choosy! Some cats know its refrigerated left overs. Mix some new freshly opened food with the refrigerated food. heat it up a bit to lose its "coolness."

Last edited:
Back