Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dry Skin

Deannalyn

Lairian
My little Spud has scratches on his chest and by his eye. I think our house might be a little dry. Is there anything out there that can be applied to his skin to soothe the scratches and keep his skin moist. I put a little Aquaphor ointment which is like vasoline on the scrapes by his eye and he seems content. Wonder what's safe to use and if there's a better solution.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My little Spud has scratches on his chest and by his eye. I think our house might be a little dry. Is there anything out there that can be applied to his skin to soothe the scratches and keep his skin moist. I put a little Aquaphor ointment which is like vasoline on the scrapes by his eye and he seems content. Wonder what's safe to use and if there's a better solution.
Many people here use Pure Virgin Coconut oil to moisturise dry patches. It has to have nothing added though. It's safe for them if they lick it.

Deannalyn

Lairian
Many people here use Pure Virgin Coconut oil to moisturise dry patches. It has to have nothing added though. It's safe for them if they lick it.
I'll check out the local Heath food store for some. I was starting to wonder if he had gotten to much sun. He's got some areas on the back of his head and neck that are peeling a little. He also has allergies and was put on a low allergen wet and dry food. Now I'm contending with liquidy poop. Any suggestions on how to firm it up? I got him a few months ago and he hasn't had normal poop at all. Vet checked for the usual suspects but there were none. He did say his allergies could trigger the loose poop. I'm starting to think with this breed their systems are pretty fragile.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'll check out the local Heath food store for some. I was starting to wonder if he had gotten to much sun. He's got some areas on the back of his head and neck that are peeling a little. He also has allergies and was put on a low allergen wet and dry food. Now I'm contending with liquidy poop. Any suggestions on how to firm it up? I got him a few months ago and he hasn't had normal poop at all. Vet checked for the usual suspects but there were none. He did say his allergies could trigger the loose poop. I'm starting to think with this breed their systems are pretty fragile.
Yeah, some sphynx have big issues with allergies. There is much advice already in the forum about firming up poop, have a browse or do a search, guaranteed you will find something! :)

RandE

Lairian
I'm new to Sphynx, but if your kitty has food allergies there is a chance that could be contributing to his skin issues as well.