Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dust Free Litters?

Neph

Lairian
Hello everyone!

I tried to look and see if there were any mentions of this topic already but I was unable to find them.

I'm wondering what is a good dust free litter? Currently I'm using a walnut litter, which is dark brown and I find that the dust really gets stuck on Nefertari's underbelly/creases. I briefly tried a corn litter that my mom uses for her furry cats, but that one was scented and I absolutely hated the smell. I was considering trying Yesterday's News (made of recycled paper), but I could only find a 30 lbs bag and didn't want to try that much of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for litter that won't leave so much dust that sticks to her?

Thanks!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Neph I have tried just about every kitty litter out there (almost all) and the one I've been using now is 100% dust-free! It's Clump & Seal Lightweight Kitty Litter. It's 50% lighter than regular litters.

I like the smell. It makes my house smell fresher and it never irritated the kitties. It's not landing up on my sphynx cats, it's not making my blinds or furniture dusty at all which I LOVE!

I personally wasn't crazy about Dr. Elsey's. The bag was too heavy for me and awkward. The Clump & Seal comes in a box with a handle and I have no problems with it.

Red box is for multi-cat. Blue box is for single cat.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Neph , Many use the dr elseys unscented in the blue bag - ( I pour it in a container in the garage with a scoop to freshen litter , top off after scooping boxes )

My back up is the Cats pride fragrance free litter in the smaller easy carry jug
I used before I had 4 adoptees :)

My first sphynx came to me using yesterday's news you mentioned -
The pellets got stuck in her little feet :(

I tired crystals but got stuck in paws too and had blue dots all over the floor

I think there are some other good brands our Canadian members will chime in on too

Let us know feedback on which litter you try -
Ps: love your avatar pic !

Attachments

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Neph I forgot to mention a few things in my reply to you above:

Newspaper pellet litter is gross. LOL You will be changing the litter very often because it's just going to absorb all the urine and smell bad. It's not scoop-able, so you can't remove the urine unless you dump out the litter and wash out the litter pan.

I've tried a handful of kitty litters that make claims like, "99% Dust-Free, 99.9% Dust-Free" etc. and I found them to be extremely dusty.

@Xandria and @Nicolemorgan are using a kitty litter called Odour Lock (or something like that). Hopefully they will chime in and tell you all about it and if it has any claims on being dust-free.

Neph

Lairian
Good to know, thank you! I had been wondering about the crystals too.

And thanks, it's one of my favourite pictures of her - I call it her glamour shot! :)

@Neph , Many use the dr elseys unscented in the blue bag - ( I pour it in a container in the garage with a scoop to freshen litter , top off after scooping boxes )

My back up is the Cats pride fragrance free litter in the smaller easy carry jug
I used before I had 4 adoptees :)

My first sphynx came to me using yesterday's news you mentioned -
The pellets got stuck in her little feet :(

I tired crystals but got stuck in paws too and had blue dots all over the floor

I think there are some other good brands our Canadian members will chime in on too

Let us know feedback on which litter you try -
Ps: love your avatar pic !

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Neph, Nefetari definitely has the glamour shot look down purrfectly!
Hope you jump in this fun bunch and share pics and stories! She is gorgeous!

jlynrobert

Lairian
We use Clump & Seal multi cat (regular not lightweight) with no issues
I have been wanting to try the Odour Lock but unable to locate near me or even a US website to buy from :(

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes, the Intersand OdourLock is what we starting using a few months ago. We switched to it from Worlds Best corn litter.
We love it so much and thank @Xandria often for recommending it to us!!!
It is very dust free, easy to use, and clumps amazingly well!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We use Clump & Seal multi cat (regular not lightweight) with no issues
I have been wanting to try the Odour Lock but unable to locate near me or even a US website to buy from :(
Have you tried contacting the customer service??
We contacted them, and through a few other phone calls, we were able to be directed to a store who dealt with a rep. And that store now orders it in for us. Maybe that is an option and they might be able to tell you of a store nearby that carries it, they were super helpful!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, the Intersand OdourLock is what we starting using a few months ago. We switched to it from Worlds Best corn litter.
We love it so much and thank @Xandria often for recommending it to us!!!
It is very dust free, easy to use, and clumps amazingly well!
@Nicolemorgan how little dust do you notice?

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

@Nicolemorgan how little dust do you notice?
Hmmm... I'm not sure how to describe, haha. @GoldHazel
I remember a looooooonnnng time ago back when I lived at home and my mom would just buy the cheap costco stuff for our furry cats. When you pour the litter int he box, there would be a cloud of dust.

I've never seen anything like that. I can pour in the litter, and no dust at all.
Plus, with the Litter Robot, everytime they go to the bathroom, it rotates the litter around to clean and sifts through the litter. There is never any cloud with that either.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Hmmm... I'm not sure how to describe, haha. @GoldHazel
I remember a looooooonnnng time ago back when I lived at home and my mom would just buy the cheap costco stuff for our furry cats. When you pour the litter int he box, there would be a cloud of dust.

I've never seen anything like that. I can pour in the litter, and no dust at all.
Plus, with the Litter Robot, everytime they go to the bathroom, it rotates the litter around to clean and sifts through the litter. There is never any cloud with that either.
@Nicolemorgan LOL, years ago when I only had furry cats, my husband used to buy the kitty litter at Costco as well. My daughter's job was to scoop out the litter box in the basement and every single time she refilled the litter box with that clay litter, the dust and smell came all the way upstairs into the kitchen. UGH! I suppose it didn't help that she didn't bend hers knees while refilling. LOL

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

@Nicolemorgan LOL, years ago when I only had furry cats, my husband used to buy the kitty litter at Costco as well. My daughter's job was to scoop out the litter box in the basement and every single time she refilled the litter box with that clay litter, the dust and smell came all the way upstairs into the kitchen. UGH! I suppose it didn't help that she didn't bend hers knees while refilling. LOL
Yeah that stuff is just so bad!!!! I don't know how anyone can breathe with that type of litter.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Yeah that stuff is just so bad!!!! I don't know how anyone can breathe with that type of litter.
@Nicolemorgan yes, I totally agree. A few years ago I went with my daughter to a woman's house that was fostering many kittens and cats. My daughter went there to look for a kitten to add to her furry family. There was no place in that woman's house that wasn't covered with cheap, clay litter dust. I tried to just stand in the middle of the room while trying hard not to touch or bump into her dusty furniture. I felt like I wanted to put my shirt over my nose as not to breath in clumping litter dust!

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

@Nicolemorgan yes, I totally agree. A few years ago I went with my daughter to a woman's house that was fostering many kittens and cats. My daughter went there to look for a kitten to add to her furry family. There was no place in that woman's house that wasn't covered with cheap, clay litter dust. I tried to just stand in the middle of the room while trying hard not to touch or bump into her dusty furniture. I felt like I wanted to put my shirt over my nose as not to breath in clumping litter dust!
Oh wow I bet! Fostering many cats with multiple litters of that would be hard to handle!

jlynrobert

Lairian

Have you tried contacting the customer service??
We contacted them, and through a few other phone calls, we were able to be directed to a store who dealt with a rep. And that store now orders it in for us. Maybe that is an option and they might be able to tell you of a store nearby that carries it, they were super helpful!
I sent an email to customer service but have not tried calling yet, I will put it on my list for today
I would gladly special order in bulk if its as good as everyone claims especially with my Litter Robot

Thanks

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I sent an email to customer service but have not tried calling yet, I will put it on my list for today
I would gladly special order in bulk if its as good as everyone claims especially with my Litter Robot

Thanks
We just got a Litter Robot too :)
The litter works really well with it as it clumps fast!
Good luck with the search, I hope they get back to you soon.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use wood pellets. Hardly any dust, and you can flush the puffed up loose sawdust down the toilet, or burn in a woodburner.

mms1972

Lairian
I LOVE SmartCat litter! I have tried soooooo many litters and finally found this and it's perfect. Made from grass and is all natural. Clumps great. I also found a very similar litter at my Meijer.... It's also 100 grass!

SmartCat All Natural Clumping Litter, 20-Pound

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I LOVE SmartCat litter! I have tried soooooo many litters and finally found this and it's perfect. Made from grass and is all natural. Clumps great. I also found a very similar litter at my Meijer.... It's also 100 grass!

SmartCat All Natural Clumping Litter, 20-Pound
@mms1972 never heard of this litter before. Interesting made from grass. How's the dust?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
There is None at all!! Seriously it's amazing!!!!!
@mms1972 thank you. I went to their website, can't figure out yet where it's available in my area, but I'll find out more. It says that it's 99% dust free. But you don't notice ANY dust at all? Have you ever tried World's Best? That was very dusty in my opinion. Thanks again. :)