Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Eagle Pack problems?

Shauntay

Banned
Hi all, for the past few months, I have been having serious problems with my 5 year old Great Dane. All of his life he has been on Eagle Pack, we have never deviated from this brand. The past 4 months or so, he has developed a serious skin condition. It started off as bumps all over his body. I was able to monitor this very closely as I wash him weekly at my grooming shop, with the same oatmeal shampoo I have also been using for 5 years, and since he was two months old he has been receiving these baths and nail grinding and ear cleaning. Im a stickler for routine. I am very confident it is not the frequent baths as he has never had dandruff, itchy skin or any other skin condition since I have had him. We do not introduce new treats and I never change my laundry detergent just incase someone in the house might develop a reaction to such a change. I am very anal, and figure, if I stick to such an extreme routine, with never a change, if bychance something does go wrong, I would know where and what and when. Anyways...so the first time the skin condition started he was immediately brought to the vet and given antibiotics for one month, 6 pills a day (he is a heavy dog). these antibiotics can sometimes cause vommiting or upset stomach. He had no issues with it but after one month the skin did not clear up, it gradualy got worst. The past month it has gotten to the point where I am seriously concerned. I have been showing Berlin frequently and worried she might have brought home ringworm, because the pimples on Muffin started to become big red scabby bald spots, very circular. I had him tested for ringworm... working in a grooming salon it would be imperative we all go on antibiotics if we ever came into contact with ringworm. I myself am susceptible and have contracted ringworm in the past. The test came back negative, he was put on the same antibiotics as last time, once again. This time he was on them for one week and then started vommiting profusely, every meal came up. He lost 5 lbs in 5 days. Back to the vet. The vet is completely at a loss as to what is ailing him, and she has consulted with another vet, we tested for funguses and parasites, he is clean. Now we are washing him bi-weekly with a vet shampoo (pro seb) and have stopped the antibiotics as per the vet. The scabby spots heal, but remain bald, and new ones develop every day. He has maybe 30 right now, old and new. They look like azcema. Also, his paws are now swollen and getting slightly red. The vet attributes this to the skin irritation getting more severe. Our next step after this is a full biopsy of a sore, and seeing a dermatologist.
Now, it has been brought to my attention that eagle Pack has been bought out a while ago, and through googling, I have found out the ingredients are less then wonderful and have read about numerous other dog owners having similar problems as me, at relatively the same time. Has anyone else had issues with this food? I am switching Muffin off it to a different brand this week, Im contemplating Wellness Core, Innova or Innova Evo as of now, I am still researching. Also, he through up again today, his entire meal...so Im not sure its the antibiotics after all since he has been off them for a while now.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sounds to me like you might be feeding the same kind of food but its possible that the food itself has changed since being bought out? I know that happened recently with one of the cat food brands. Personally, I'd have the biopsy done and see if it can give you some clues and in the meantime would consult with the vet and hopefully come up with a good hypo-allergenic food?

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I wish you luck in figuring this out. I know how frustrating skin issues can be. I have a yellow lab that has had chronic issues since we rescued her 4 years ago. I recently switched my dogs to a grain and gluten free formula and my yellow lab is finally starting to grow hair back on her belly again.

Back