Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Ear cleaning, and earning back their affection

NapsAndDreams

Lairian
Fuzzbutt, my newly adopted 4yr old female sphynx, showed up with an ear infection. I'm giving her the ear meds twice a day, but I feel like a monster (and she definitely treats me like a monster) every time I do.

The first two days after I adopted her, she was very snuggly and loving. Now she won't sit near me, and flinches every time I try to pet her! +possibly cries+ I'm worried that:

a) I'm doing it wrong
b) she's never going to forgive me
c) that this problem is going to never go away because I have to clean their ears on the regular.

Help!

(Also, I could have sworn I saw a video on ear cleaning somewhere on the site and now I can't find it)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@NapsAndDreams , I have adult adoptees. 3 were were not crazy about ear cleaning or nail trimming.

to help desensitize them, I put a small chair in my bathroom , towel on my lap and practiced just touching ears with praise and a little high value treat on the towel. I had to do the same for nails on 3 of my adoptees.

I switched ear cleaner to Trizultra w/keto. my vet got me hooked on it nearly 20 yrs ago. never an ear issue again. use on my pups and kitties.
they don't mind it as much either as it does not have a strong scent like some products.
I actually don't flush ears. I wet cotton swissper rounds and brand name qtips with trizultra and gently wipe ears. in the beginning I wore a little head lamp so I could see the skin folds and canal. their is a little round like skin flap near the outer ear edge that holds gunk. I gently swirl with a wetted trizultra qtip not inserting deep** same with canal , only where I can see.

I havent had any ear issues with my crew since switching to trizultra w/keto and they actually are soo much better now and got used to the routine.
glad you are asking questions! all paws are family! *** see the earcleaning link catzzzmeow shared above.

sharing the products. Trizultra can also be used a skin flush. I have been using it for years to clean ears and do weekly wipe downs using the larger swissper pads. really gets the brown off armpits, chins, necks, bellies, bumm, tail, legs. *** I just do NOT use it on face. just a warm water wash cloth for faces.

you will get into a routine and products . we are here for you.

side note, I really like the inexpensive Chi nail trimmer. stil sharp and cuts clean , it has been my favorite. I wore a little headlamp in the beginning so I could see the quik. if you accidentally cut the quick , you can use quick stop or a little cornstarch to stop any little bleeding. I put on the cotton round and apply pressure to the nail tip.

my adoptees did not like nail trimming. I desenstized them same way with towel on my lap praise and treat. in the beginning clipped one nail a day for a week sometimes not every nail needs to be trimmed back as some nails get shorter using scratching pads/posts. *be sure to check the little "thumb like nail that can grow quickly and start to curl .
now I can do all ear cleaning and nail trimming at one sit down on my little bathroom chair.

sharing video on nail trimming.

Attachments

• trizultra new.jpeg
    trizultra new.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 9
  • swisspers.jpeg
    swisspers.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 7
  • swisspers.jpg
    swisspers.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 4
  • chi nail trimmer.jpeg
    chi nail trimmer.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I will suggest that you can often earn back love and faction by wrapping them up in a blanket fresh out of the dryer. We often suggest doing this to members when their baby’s are not really cuddly or when they first get them. It helps them learn you are a trusty safe place. being consistent like doing it at night when you watch TV is a great time. Our boys sleep with us. When I go to make the bed and move them out, I often coax them into their cube bed in another room with a fresh hot blanket. They hear the dryer door open and then come a running LOL.

NapsAndDreams

Lairian
Update:

Trying to bribe her with treats didn't work (and she glared me the entire time like she knew what I was trying to do), and then she started being destructive, so I thought maybe the problem was she didn't have enough enrichment options.

Turns out she really loves playing with jingly balls! I think I could even teach her to play fetch. And after bringing some more jingly balls for her to play with, she is back to her cuddlesome self! The ear is looking better too!

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bless - yeah my baby hates ear cleaning.

She usually naps after it, then when she wakes I will make a fuss by playing with her as a reward.

She is non-compliant with most personal care tasks, although the older she has gotten she has started to be more tolerable. I wrap her in a blanket to complete ear cleaning. Throughout the cleaning I will shower her with kisses n head rubs.

Back