Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

ear cleaning HELP!

oslosphynx

Lairian
Anyone have great tips about cleaning ears? Im going out of my mind!!! I have tried q-tips, wet napkins, cotton pads, ear drops... Problem is I can't get in. I get to clean the part of the ear where my finger can get to, but I see the black sh** in there and I can't get to it. o_O Tokyo is tossing and moving and shaking her head.
HOW DO YOU DO IT??? Aaah!

She falls asleep when I trim her claws, but this is torture for her AND me. :bored:

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Get cat eat cleaner, epi optic...I get it from the vet. Its about 10 dollars. Squirt some right in the cats ear and rub the base of tge ear really well to get all that gunk free. The wipe out as much as you can. Might wanna make sure there isn't an infection as well. Good luck :)

oslosphynx

Lairian
I have Epi-Otic. Used it now. I cleaned all i could. But it is still impossible to get to the gunk in the center. Do you put things all the way in? Will some come out by it self? I really dont think there is an infection.

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I squirt it in the ear canal..the vet told me it was safe to do that at least once a week. Once I started doing that gizmos ears were way less gunky. It may not get it all the first time. I think some sphynxs just get the dirty ear gene. I know giz has it lol

oslosphynx

Lairian
Yes, but does it come out by it self? The stuff you can't reach? Thank you for answering btw. :rolleyes: Im pretty out right now.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I use the epi-optic. Put some into one ear massage the ear and let her shake her head.
Do the next ear. Take a wash cloth and put your pinky finger into it and clean all you can that way.
Then, get a q tip and clean the places you just couldn't get. But, only where you see.
Do this twice a week and there will be less gunk. Wrap her in a towel so she can't move around.

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
To make it easier you can actually ask the vet to do a deep cleaning of her ears to make it easier just so you can keep it cleaned up easier after that. What we did was make sure after massaging the ear cleaner that she shakes her head it should loosen some of the gunk up and then go in with a q-tip and a cotton ball with more cleaner on it. If you do this at least once a week she should learn to tolerate it, and it should become easier. Pippin was a pain when we started but after 3 weeks of doing this she's become a trooper. Just make sure to give treats afterwards! Good luck!

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lots of good advice here :) the only bits I can add are, if she doesn't shake her head when you let go, you didn't put enough in. Zoa is more tolerant if I warm the bottle first under hot water and if saturate a cotton ball with it. Also, turn your head away before you let her shake, otherwise you're likely to get it on your face and mouth. Tastes real bad, btw. Lesson learned.

Yoda mom

Staff member
I set up ear spa treatment..

Several cotton pads, small round ones. And qtips. I put the pads on a clean wash cloth and put the qtips on the pads.

I squirt Triz Ultra with Keto ear cleaner on the qtips which also wets the pads

A bag of treats

- sit on the toilet lid and put kitty on a towel on my lap .. I say clean ears and put treats on my lap..
- put the web of my hand by the base of the neck / shoulder and move the ear with my thumb / fingers gently .
-use my other hand to gently wipe the inside of the ear with the cotton pad .. More treats :)
-keep the same hand positioning and gently wipe only where I can see.. Holding a firm gently grip you really can see a lot inside the little folds..

I have not had any head shaking. Fortunately have not had to flush routine but if I do need to.. I will soak a regular cotton ball and squeeze it a little in the ear and massage.

I use trizultra with Keto ear cleaner 12 oz

Keep us posted on the ear spa treatment :)

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We use Epiotic too, squirt some on a cotton ball and massage in ear, then wipe around. It takes a few swipes. Then a few q- tips for folds, but that is not as well tolerated. Do you have an extra pair of hands to help and hold kitty? I find it helps to hold them snugly and cup a hand under their chin. Ollie hated when we squirted it in his ear, the cotton ball swish seems to be better tolerated. Some days are easier than others, just go with it and give treats!

Back