Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Ear Flush, or Not??

k9guy

Lairian
So we are taking Gimli to the vets to get his teeth cleaned. They are not that dirty but we did notice some tarter buildup on some of his back teeth.

My question is do you think I should ask the vet to do a routine flushing of his ears while he is under anesthesia? His ears have been fine, just your typical dark goop we get out of them when we clean them at home several times a week.

Just wanted some experienced advice on this. Thanks....

CathyO

Lairian
Never heard of ear flushing, although I do clean my kitties' ears with Epi-otic followed by ear powder to lengthen time between ear cleaning sessions. I don't see why not unless your cat has sensitive skin, etc...likely not as helpful but maybe see what your vet says

Yoda mom

Staff member
@k9guy be sure to confirm NO Ketamine anesthesia as it can have a rebound effect on the heart .
I personally do not flush ears... I wet flat cotton rounds and qtips , precision qtips, with trizultra my vet got me hooked on 15 plus years ago...
you can call your vet ahead of time and see what they suggest..
please keep us updated
hugs n head smooches

Yoda mom

Staff member
@k9guy
toby gets gunkier ears ... before using Trizultra i wipe his ears out with OtiRinse a member suggested.
I added to my chewy order

it really loosens up any gunk. I wet flat cotton rounds and precision qtips with Otirinse once a week to clean ears.
the main ear cleaner I use is Trizultra with Keto , I wipe out ears every other day.

I use trizultra with Keto to wipe chins and nail beds too