Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
i took my little one for ear cleaning at the vets this morning, just checked and his ears are filthy again! Except now he won't let me go near them unlike before when I would regulary clean his ears with no problem..I was hoping this would last a it longer! Does anyone else's baby ears build up this quick?? And does it mean anything? TIA

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Amy31 I am assuming the vet did a deep cleaning and it probably just irritated your baby. If a lot of cleaner is poured in the ear it brings the gunk that was deep down in the canal out so if your baby keeps shaking their ears it is bringing even more out.

Patti

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Amy31 I am assuming the vet did a deep cleaning and it probably just irritated your baby. If a lot of cleaner is poured in the ear it brings the gunk that was deep down in the canal out so if your baby keeps shaking their ears it is bringing even more out.

Patti
I did think it would be that, I was just getting about worried! Haha, is it normal for them to have quite a lot? It doesn't mean there's any problems or anything?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I do what I feel is a pretty thorough ear cleaning. I do use Cleanser and Q-tips etc. Another vet who usually does not help us at the veterinary hospital stood in one day and he said boy your ears are dirty as he talked to our baby. I was almost insulted...lol He smelled the swab assuming it might be yeast/mites as he is not as familiar with the breed. I explained and he nodded in agreement it is just dirt and not yeast or mites. He was looking deep inside. He said be more generous with the cleanser. The next spa day I used more and for 2 days her ears were throwing gook again. There must be lots of gunk down there...lol. See how the week goes and maybe by next spa day it levels out.

Patti

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I do what I feel is a pretty thorough ear cleaning. I do use Cleanser and Q-tips etc. Another vet who usually does not help us at the veterinary hospital stood in one day and he said boy your ears are dirty as he talked to our baby. I was almost insulted...lol He smelled the swab assuming it might be yeast/mites as he is not as familiar with the breed. I explained and he nodded in agreement it is just dirt and not yeast or mites. He was looking deep inside. He said be more generous with the cleanser. The next spa day I used more and for 2 days her ears were throwing gook again. There must be lots of gunk down there...lol. See how the week goes and maybe by next spa day it levels out.

Patti
Yes as this is his first thorough clean I'm sure he has tons to come out! I bought the cleanser my vet used so I can do it myself :) I just wanted to make sure it was nothing to worry about health wise, thank you for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurie Roberge

Lairian
Hi,
I just read your discussion and I wanna know if my cat's ears are okay, I'm feeling like i do not clean them enough. I've looked some videos and my vet shown me how to clean them, but the inside always looks dirty. I'm scared that August can develop an otitis, I don't know if somebody can send me a picture of the ear of his sphynx (weird request ahah) just to be sure that August and me are on the right way.

Thank you :)
August & Laurie

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi,
I just read your discussion and I wanna know if my cat's ears are okay, I'm feeling like i do not clean them enough. I've looked some videos and my vet shown me how to clean them, but the inside always looks dirty. I'm scared that August can develop an otitis, I don't know if somebody can send me a picture of the ear of his sphynx (weird request ahah) just to be sure that August and me are on the right way.

Thank you :)
August & Laurie
Bless you! My Lucifers ears get horrific! I clean them with a flannel and cotton buds, (only outside area) twice a week, but obviously that's not a good deep clean, so I bought some ear cleaner from the vet which I was recommended to use once a week, I'll have a look if I have any pictures but I don't think I do! And he's being neutered today so the vet is cleaning his ears for me haha, but they do get really dirty and very fast!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Amy31 ,sending speedy recovery thoughts and we'll wishes for his neuter today!

3 of my 4 get dirty ears fast- I clean all ears twice a week
On as cotton flat pad with ear cleaner on it wiping inside the ears and precision q tips wetted with ear cleaner for soft light twirls inside skin folds and visible areas
I don't directly flush ears- my two adoptees had very dirty ears and protested-

I use Trizultra with Keto or epi optic advanced
I lay out all the wetted cotton pads and precision tips on the Bath sink counter-
Put as towel on my lap with a few treats and wipe inside of ears with flat pads-
They like that- I always end with as flat pad massage ears wipe and praise and a few treats when I let them down-
I don't give treats If they struggle or it reinforces it-

If they struggle and complain hold firm and finish- then put them down when I decide we are done and give some treats- it took a couple of weeks and now they are so much better at ear spa days!

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Like @Catzzzmeow I get the "your baby has a infection or mites" every time I go to the vet. I have to explain it's neither it's Sphynx goop. They try to argue (every time)! This last time I told the vet ok I'll make a deal with you... You can swab Fuzzy's ears and if you find nothing I don't pay for the swab. They agreed and I paid nothing. When we first took Violet to the vet she called me saying she had mites and then when I went to pick her up (se went in for a dental) they charged me for a ear swab. I made them take it off the bill.

I clean our babies ears with Bactine (spelling) once a week.

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Amy31 ,sending speedy recovery thoughts and we'll wishes for his neuter today!

3 of my 4 get dirty ears fast- I clean all ears twice a week
On as cotton flat pad with ear cleaner on it wiping inside the ears and precision q tips wetted with ear cleaner for soft light twirls inside skin folds and visible areas
I don't directly flush ears- my two adoptees had very dirty ears and protested-

I use Trizultra with Keto or epi optic advanced
I lay out all the wetted cotton pads and precision tips on the Bath sink counter-
Put as towel on my lap with a few treats and wipe inside of ears with flat pads-
They like that- I always end with as flat pad massage ears wipe and praise and a few treats when I let them down-
I don't give treats If they struggle or it reinforces it-

If they struggle and complain hold firm and finish- then put them down when I decide we are done and give some treats- it took a couple of weeks and now they are so much better at ear spa days!
Thank you! It feels like I'm waiting an eternity haha, just want him home!

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Like @Catzzzmeow I get the "your baby has a infection or mites" every time I go to the vet. I have to explain it's neither it's Sphynx goop. They try to argue (every time)! This last time I told the vet ok I'll make a deal with you... You can swab Fuzzy's ears and if you find nothing I don't pay for the swab. They agreed and I paid nothing. When we first took Violet to the vet she called me saying she had mites and then when I went to pick her up (se went in for a dental) they charged me for a ear swab. I made them take it off the bill.

I clean our babies ears with Bactine (spelling) once a week.
Oh boy how annoying it is, they look at you like you don't look after your baby! I could clean Lucifers ears and on the trip to the vets they could be dirty again! I feel rude for showing them my research on things but they just don't seem to know! I think I may be a pushy parent :p

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh boy how annoying it is, they look at you like you don't look after your baby! I could clean Lucifers ears and on the trip to the vets they could be dirty again! I feel rude for showing them my research on things but they just don't seem to know! I think I may be a pushy parent :p

I know I think we all have to do the ear battle. I managed a vet hospital back in Cali so I know both sides of the fence and I am not afraid to argue and ask questions. The normal vet who sees the babies got a new vet in the office so I thought I would give her a whirl. I started with the "Have you ever treated a Sphynx before" she looked at me like a deer in the headlights and said "YES". I thought to myself..... hhmmmm lady I am going to eat you alive! It was a good visit after we established I actually knew what I was talking about. I have to say my normal vet knows me pretty well and he will even give me enough meds for all the nakeds if I need them.

I can clean all there ears and in less then 6 hours they are nasty again.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow, do I feel lucky. Max's ears stay pretty clean for five days.

I use epi otic on a Sherpa pad to wipe and then round and cosmetic/pointed q tips soaked in the cleaner to carefully swirl at the gunk in their crevasses. A head lamp helps me see better. I follow with another Sherpa pad wipe.

I bundle max in a dryer heated swaddling blanket and he's happy to sit on my lap and be pampered... He even purrs.

His nails are another matter... Ha ha

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm lucky with Dexter - his ears are hardly dirty, but he has some hair... I guess I'm concerned now though - should I do the deep cleaning anyway? The ear flush sounds scary to me. My little girl who will be coming home in February is totally hairless so I'll see how her ears are. So you guys just pour the cleaner in their ears and the gunk comes out? Eek.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ear flushes freak me out. Lol.

Oh, and here's a pic of max five days after ear spa.

full

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Fuzzy's were always clean when he was a kitten and then he hit that magical 1yr age and then came the gunk

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know I think we all have to do the ear battle. I managed a vet hospital back in Cali so I know both sides of the fence and I am not afraid to argue and ask questions. The normal vet who sees the babies got a new vet in the office so I thought I would give her a whirl. I started with the "Have you ever treated a Sphynx before" she looked at me like a deer in the headlights and said "YES". I thought to myself..... hhmmmm lady I am going to eat you alive! It was a good visit after we established I actually knew what I was talking about. I have to say my normal vet knows me pretty well and he will even give me enough meds for all the nakeds if I need them.

I can clean all there ears and in less then 6 hours they are nasty again.
Haha, I feel bad cause I've no clue other than what I've read, but for my own peace of mind at least if I memtion it I know I've done everything, I mean I don't think any vet I've been to has had a regular sphynx client so theres nothing to compare with I guess!

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow, do I feel lucky. Max's ears stay pretty clean for five days.

I use epi otic on a Sherpa pad to wipe and then round and cosmetic/pointed q tips soaked in the cleaner to carefully swirl at the gunk in their crevasses. A head lamp helps me see better. I follow with another Sherpa pad wipe.

I bundle max in a dryer heated swaddling blanket and he's happy to sit on my lap and be pampered... He even purrs.

His nails are another matter... Ha ha
Aw my lucifer purrs to! They must enjoy it somehow haha

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm lucky with Dexter - his ears are hardly dirty, but he has some hair... I guess I'm concerned now though - should I do the deep cleaning anyway? The ear flush sounds scary to me. My little girl who will be coming home in February is totally hairless so I'll see how her ears are. So you guys just pour the cleaner in their ears and the gunk comes out? Eek.
I like to keep some cotton pads on hand to wipe up as it can get a little messy, usually I'll put the cleaner in and then the next day do a cotton bud clean :) I mean if your baby doesn't have issues with ears possibly do it every month? It's only cause Lucifers ears get so dirty quickly I do it so often :)

Back