Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Good Juju

Lairian
Hi everyone!

My little 8 month girl has had itchy ears with wax going all over the place as she scratches her ears with her nails. Sometimes she causes red marks to her face, and most of the time, she has wax on and around her ears and neck. I clean them every few days or once a week. I used to use epi-otic and have recently started rubbing a tiny bit of coconut oil on a cotton ball in and around as it takes the wax off nicely. I make sure no water gets in her ears at bath time as well.

My question is whether this is normal for the breed? My breeder specifically stated that they produce a lot of dark wax and that it is NOT ear mites. However she seems to be bothered by her ears pretty often. She doesn't tilt her ears or shake her head but mostly scratches all the time. She eats Friskies wet food and royal canin dry kibbles and Im wondering if the Friskies is causing yeast overgrowth as I hear Friskies is not the greatest quality of food. I've just been following the breeders orders and she said not to switch the food.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. She does well with her food and everything else so not sure if I should switch her off of that or not as I know that can wreak havok on the stomach. Also not sure if cleaning the ears too often is also bothersome. Just don't want to ignore it too long and cause her a life of chronic ear infections which is what my last sharpei went through with all those wrinkles in his ears.

Thanks in advance fellow sphynx friends!! much love

Attachments

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi everyone!

My little 8 month girl has had itchy ears with wax going all over the place as she scratches her ears with her nails. Sometimes she causes red marks to her face, and most of the time, she has wax on and around her ears and neck. I clean them every few days or once a week. I used to use epi-otic and have recently started rubbing a tiny bit of coconut oil on a cotton ball in and around as it takes the wax off nicely. I make sure no water gets in her ears at bath time as well.

My question is whether this is normal for the breed? My breeder specifically stated that they produce a lot of dark wax and that it is NOT ear mites. However she seems to be bothered by her ears pretty often. She doesn't tilt her ears or shake her head but mostly scratches all the time. She eats Friskies wet food and royal canin dry kibbles and Im wondering if the Friskies is causing yeast overgrowth as I hear Friskies is not the greatest quality of food. I've just been following the breeders orders and she said not to switch the food.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. She does well with her food and everything else so not sure if I should switch her off of that or not as I know that can wreak havok on the stomach. Also not sure if cleaning the ears too often is also bothersome. Just don't want to ignore it too long and cause her a life of chronic ear infections which is what my last sharpei went through with all those wrinkles in his ears.

Thanks in advance fellow sphynx friends!! much love
My opinion purely, but I would definitely start with switching food to something better quality. Gradual change is the key to avoiding upset stomach.

If you think the ears smell yeasty, you can try some Vetrycin ear wash daily for a week or so and it will probably clear up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My kitty also is very waxy. She has been scratching at her ears. I took her to the vet and she gave Raphael's ears a good cleaning with long Q-tips. My vet said not to be scared of cleaning her ears with q-tips. She said because of the shape of the inside of their ears you don't have to worry about hurting their eardrums.

I haven't had yeast issues with my kitty. Not sure if the food makes a difference but I feed her Royal Canin.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I’d have the vet swab the ears and take a look. Yes dark wax build up is normal, but if there is constant itchy, shaking of the head and and or scratching, it can be a strong indicator there could be an infection or mites. Our boy recently had an infection and was shaking his ears. If it is an infection it usually is painful just like in humans. Keep us updated.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Best is to go to the vet and let the esr wax test.
My boys have a lot of ear wax. But they never scratch or shake their head. My vet told me that scrachting or shaking would be the sign there something going on.