Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

ear wax removal

Nudegent

Lairian
My cat Stan is 6 years old. I am his 3rd home and he is doing great. Yesterday the vet said he has wax plugs on the ear drum. I take him every 6 weeks for nails and his ears. This time the vet said he would have to put him under anesthesia to get the wax out as Stan is only good for about 4 min with cleaning the ears then he gets very upset. am concerned as he has no infection etc. I just take him every six weeks for feet and ear check up. I do not want him to be going to have to be put under if this would be a long tern event. Does anyone have any adive on this matter. meow and purrs to all

Attachments

• 20160706_070646.jpg
    20160706_070646.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20160621_102100.jpg
    20160621_102100.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 59

Sheldon13

Staff member
I have 2 thoughts:

1) Ask the vet if this would be a one-time occurrence. I think if it was to deep clean and then the expectation was to maintain the ears from then on, anesthesia would be ok. I would not advise using anesthesia every time and ear cleaning is needed.

2) Many ear solutions will gradually break down the wax if used regularly. It would take time, but eventually would lead to cleaner ears. Ask the vet if they think the plugs could gradually dissolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nudegent

Lairian
The vet said it is a ball of wax on the ear drum. I do have a vet tec fried that is a man and he does come over and do nails, clean ft,and ears and Stan is fairly good with him. I spoke with him today and he can get the wax cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nudegent

Lairian
I have 2 thoughts:

1) Ask the vet if this would be a one-time occurrence. I think if it was to deep clean and then the expectation was to maintain the ears from then on, anesthesia would be ok. I would not advise using anesthesia every time and ear cleaning is needed.

2) Many ear solutions will gradually break down the wax if used regularly. It would take time, but eventually would lead to cleaner ears. Ask the vet if they think the plugs could gradually dissolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
thank you so much

Yoda mom

Staff member
Bless you for all the love and care of this sweet boy
So happy you have a friend that can assist

I swear when I got my adoptees I had to wear a coat to give spa day!

Following closely for good news updates

I know I always talk with my vet to try the least intrusive treatments first
Especially with my heart murmur kitties

Nudegent

Lairian
Bless you for all the love and care of this sweet boy
So happy you have a friend that can assist

I swear when I got my adoptees I had to wear a coat to give spa day!

Following closely for good news updates

I know I always talk with my vet to try the least intrusive treatments first
Especially with my heart murmur kitties
will do that, and I know my vet tec will help...I want the best for Stan because he had a very hard life put he is prince of his home now

Nudegent

Lairian
Meow, Stan is enjoying his long winters nap. I am going to get the ears drops and will not have anesthesia unless it is really needed. he was excellent at the vet as the vet tec was experienced and he caused no problem. I told the office I do not want the tec assistant ever with Stan as she is unable to hold him and I think he can notice the fear in her.
The dr did say that I am the only person that is consistent with the ears and feet and maybe getting his ears cleaned every 6 weeks is causing the wax to be pushed down but I don't know if that is true. He will let my vet tec friend do his nails, clean feet and ears. So i think I will try that for a while. He does like men as he was with a man for 4 years and he gave him up because the girlfriend did not like him. In fact at his first vet apt. when he had a bowl movement one of those bracelets the kids have that is material plus a large piece of flowered material came out of him the size of a napkin. So may be he was being dressed up and did not like it or just ate maternal because he was hungry. Then in his next home the cats did not like him and he was kept in a bathroom and he was all scraped up and had to get antibiotic shots from being abused by the other cats. He is close with my oriental longhair and coexists with my spca cats. He is my boy and I love him. nudegent

Attachments

• 20181205_112153.jpg
    20181205_112153.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 43

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Nudegent awhhhh so glad Stan has his his most deserving forever home on your heart and home . Kudos to you for expressing your wishes at the vets too.
Great to have a good working relationship and everyone is om the same page for the comfort of your Stan.

He looks so loved and content :)
Hope you can share pics and names of your babies - all paws are lair family :)
Head smooches to all paws ! Following for updates

Nudegent

Lairian
Here is Stan's feline family retired oriental long hair...Little Julie N and Stans best friend....Inka Agape...and Ying Yang Bashert

Attachments

• 10398685_10153068860902052_8110009667072740166_n.jpg
    10398685_10153068860902052_8110009667072740166_n.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Alice's_Pictures_214.jpg
    Alice's_Pictures_214.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 26
  • img168.jpg
    img168.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 32

Nudegent

Lairian
Stan is enjoying the sun and bird watching...he goes in the beginning of Jan for his ears and nails will keep you posted

Attachments

• 20181219_082905.jpg
    20181219_082905.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20181219_082949.jpg
    20181219_082949.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 18

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My cat Stan is 6 years old. I am his 3rd home and he is doing great. Yesterday the vet said he has wax plugs on the ear drum. I take him every 6 weeks for nails and his ears. This time the vet said he would have to put him under anesthesia to get the wax out as Stan is only good for about 4 min with cleaning the ears then he gets very upset. am concerned as he has no infection etc. I just take him every six weeks for feet and ear check up. I do not want him to be going to have to be put under if this would be a long tern event. Does anyone have any adive on this matter. meow and purrs to all
Hi there hope your well !
My niece comes once a month to bath my two and she does their nails and ears for me , it’s really easy to clean their ears ( I mean normally not the condition your little one has ) we wrap them in a blanket one paw brought out at a time , then the ears cleaned with a solution I purchased from amazon . And cotton wool balls . We put the solution onto the cotton wool then insert into the ear and massage around the out side of the ear , we do this a few times until the ear is clean , I wouldn’t put it into the ear we also use Q tips but as with our own ears don’t go down into the ear canal
I am not really good with health advice on our little ones . That is just how we clean Cleo and Bagins ears . And the nail clippers are really good we bought ours from Pets At Home
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Back