Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Ear zits?

lisamk

Lairian
Our female, Sati, gets really nasty abscess-like ear zits. :Dizzy:

I used to leave them alone, but if I don't "pop" them they seem to keep growing. :Surprise: She seems to have "problem areas" and no matter how often I clean her ears they don't stop returning. :(

Does anyone else have this same problem? Is there any way to stop them from forming?

susi794

Staff member
Where are they? On the front, back or inside the ears? They could be sebaceous cysts, and if so popping them can cause infection in the surrounding tissues, so you might want the vet to check them the next time you go. If they truly are zits, you might try something like stridex pads--I think mews2much uses them for toe nail cleaning, so hopefully they are safe to use, or try switching what you bathe her with to something that cuts more of the oil.

lisamk

Lairian
They are inside of her ears, blackhead-looking ones.

I'll try to get a picture of them.

"Sebaceous" I'll have to look that up. :Surprise:

lisamk

Lairian
Oh! I'm glad I looked it up to make sure - the new pads do not have salicylate in them! Yay!

Stridex is a common acne treatment and prevention medicine. It comes in the form of pads contained in a plastic tub of fifty-five to seventy-five pads. Most products in the Stridex line contain as the active ingredient Salicylic Acid (0.5-2.5%); Stridex "Power Pads", however, contain instead Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%), and are the first acne treatment pads to do so without requiring a prescription for purchase.

Lulu Bird

Lairian
I have noticed this bump inside one of Peaches ears... it looks like dark blue or black. She doesn't mind when I touch it... but I was wondering if it was full of icky stuff cause I didn't know what else it would be! Also she has teeny black or blue dots inside her ears. I was wondering if I should take her in to have the vet look at it. I bet it's an ear pimple like you guys are talking about. I would have never thought I could use stridex pads on her! I bet that would take the grimey wax off the inside of her ears lickity split! Thanks guys!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
They are very common, and hormones cause them just like a teenage person, if they are small and just blackheads clean clean clean and if you have a tough tummy you can pop them. If they are large and cyst like I would have them checked by a vet.

Back