Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Early morning vet trip for Early

gunstreetgirl

Lairian
So a while ago I was so sure Early had Herpes... Well we did a culture and it turns out its Mycoplasma Felis PCR. I can't find much online about it, and my vet didn't know much about it either.
So I went home and reserched stuff, with the promise of returing with some information. We both gathered some ideas and I took Early in yesterday to get his prescription. Well the vet still wasn't confident with dosage and wanted to call a fellow vet friend for insight and asked me to return Wed.

When I arrived home (I live in another town than my vet) I let Early out of his carrier and he went right to my boyfriend and jumped on him. Drew immediatley noticed blood coming from his anus, enough to drip down to his little cat balls! Fortunatley I have my vet's mobile number and called in a panic. it was 8:30 at this point and he asked me to collect a stool sample and if he doesnt bleed anymore tonight to drive him in this morning.
So I took him in this morning, stool sample in hand, and delived him to the vet. Well he was de-wormed and given a shot. I had nothing more to do but take him home after that.... He seemed totally healthy!

I'm feeling pretty helpless here, it seems like this kitten can't catch a break! He's got a ton of energy and seems healthy as could be, aside from these weird flare ups.
I'm at my wits end!

susi794

Staff member
I am of no help with this one at all--haven't heard of it before. Yet another thing to be scared of!
Get well little sweety!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor Early. Fortunately it sounds like a not-so-serious case o the worms.

My question is: Who had to clean his little cat balls? hahehaheeh

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hope he's feeling better soon. Does the vet think the bleeding is a side effect of the meds?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope he feels better.
You can always ask UC Davis what they think or I can ask my vet for advice for you.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Seeing that blood had to be horribly frightening - I know I would have been panicked. I don't have any ideas or advice but did want to say that I hope it gets figured out and Early gets better.

gunstreetgirl

Lairian
The vet was hoping it was worms or maybe a dye in his catfood. I switched to all canned and was using Newmans organic but he ran out and Drew picked up friskies on the way home from work.... Now he feels terrible haha. And to answer the cleaning question... My bf wiped his bum while I was frantically calling the emergency vet in my town and harassing my current vet on his cell :LOL:.
It's really frustrating making early morning runs to the vet and then working all day, wondering about my cat.... I wish he just looked as halthy as he acts!

And M2M I would totally appreciate anything your vet has to say about treating mycoplasma. I can't find much at all online, what I could find I printed for my vet. So hopefully between that and the guy he's gunna call Monday we'll work something out. A third opinion would be wonderful to contribute! I'll be taking him back over on wed barring anymore butt scares

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I will ask her Thurs when Coco gioes for more blood test.
She is very sick right now.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow - I have never heard about mycoplasma in a cat. 5 years ago we bought 2000 head of sheep from a south Texas ranch. Those sheep developed mycoplasma and we lost a lot of them. It was like pneumonia. It was probably in the soil and these sheep picked it up through foraging. It sounds like you may need a second opinion due to the fact that your kitty does not have signs of pneumonia. Hope everything is fine and the wormer and shot does the trick.:Smile:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm so glad your vet found a cause. Hopefully Early will make a full recovery soon. Soothing thoughts being sent out to you while you get through this.