Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Early murmur in 3yo Sphynx

Ruth

Lairian
Hi all,

I am very confused and disappointed. I have a 3.5 yo Sphynx. No health issues up to this point, have been using the same trustworthy vet for 6 years. Took my Stitch in to just do a quick skin check (he has been seen yearly by this vet), and the vet heard what he thinks is a heart murmur.

He did a chest x ray and 2 different cardiac blood tests.

All good except one aspect being high - his CK level. The vet explained it has to do with muscle - not necessarily heart but can be due to stress as well.

I am taking him in for a re -do next week to see if it goes down.

His breeder confirmed his parents never had any issues.

Anyone have any experience with any of this? Hope not but just figured maybe someone can enlighten me on this.

He acts fine - plays with his dog brother and very active and happy. I’m so confused!!

Last edited:

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi.
This is not 100% related but kind of is.
My 7year old Ozzie has been diagnosed with RCM, before hand no issues what so ever, no signs of anything maybe something from him being younger who knows! But anyway it's all hit reality now and it started to show after he had some episodes of his lungs filling with fluid and 3 times he has been into ICU.
When I got Ozzie his parents had tested negative for heart conditions ect, the devastating thing is it's not just hereditary and can occur at any point.
Definitely a ultrasound will give you all the peace of mind you need, I live in the UK so over here vet Bill's are very high and it's scary when it gets critical the price of everything.
I know its not 100% related but similar in a way and hope helps a little❤

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ozzie also eats as he usually does, he never has been a big player since getting older he likes to relax and sleep, but his eating is brilliant still to this point now and before any symptoms came out he was then.
I must admit I have noticed he fears anyone jumping on him like my other cats or dog now maybe as he knows will cause him stress again maybe age or his condition I wish they could talk and tell us everything.
A ultrasound will certainly give answers and good to catch something early if possible❤

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Thought this might be interesting

Murmurs can be harmless. Around 50% with murmurs ever even have/develop heart disease, the other half are simply just murmurs. We had a kitten with a grade 2 murmur all of his life and we had 13 wonderful years with him. The best way to truly know is through an echocardiogram. The cardio-bloodwork you mention is most likely a proBNP text does that ring a bell? Here’s an older link on that as well. proBNP Blood test

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My dog also lived till the age of 13 bless her she had a heart murmur also and lived with it but she was very spoilt with food and obese and sadly we lost her also to heart failure but the murmur never bothered her we was just cruel in spoiling her with what we shouldn't of❤

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Ruth, hugs and positive vibes for Stitches re-check. I know how scary it is.

When I took my boy on a vet visit for an eye issue a few years ago, the vet detected what she believed to be a grade 3 heart murmur. she even let me listen... I was scared... she told me to keep in mind that the vets grading listening is subjective.

he is now 9 years old, no issues, no medication.
the other 2 have grade 1 and 2 murmurs... now age 6 and 9, no issues no meds.

all paws crossed or good news. Be sure to check out the threads Catzzzmeow shared.

keep us updated (((hugs))) and head smooches.

Back