Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Ears!!!

myspecialboy

Lairian
Do any of you have good ear cleaning tips? My Chadwick absolutely HATES getting his ears cleaned, but it's a necessary evil. Do you have any ideas how to make this less of a chore for the both of us? I've tried those ear wipes from Petsmart and the ear cleaning solution you put in their ears from there, also (can't remember the brand).
Also, if you all have any tips for trimming claws, too! He hates that almost as much as the ears and I have little scars on my arms from where he gets mad. He just hates having his back feet touched!

PS. I'll try to get some pics of my special boy up soon! I am brand new to the site and am computer illiterate, but he's so beautiful!

streakin

Lairian
Xerxes HATES his ears cleaned too. I have a solution that the vet gave me, and he said I could use it everyday, but I now only really have to use it about every 2-3 weeks...I dont know how, but he seems to be getting less and less dirty in there over time!
For nail clipping and cleaning I have to wait till he's getting sleepy and ready to take a nap to be able to do them. I've tried when he was fully alert and active and he was having NONE of that! Since it takes quite a while for each nail (removing the wax buildup then clipping) I usually only get maybe 2 or 3 paws done at a time. I would suggest a lot of "feeling" of the paws without clipping so they get used to the feeling of handling the paws.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wrap him up in a towel or blanket then he won't be able to escape when your cleaning his ears. It may help with nail cutting if you can wrap it so you can get his feet out, one at a time.

Pbinky

Banned
Put a towel in the dryer for about 10 minutes so it's nice and toasty then wrap up little Chadwick (great name by the way) nice and tight and he will melt in your arms. they love the nice warm towel. first do the ears and then pull out one paw while keeping him nice and wrapped up and start cleaning and clipping. I use baby wipes and coconut oil to clean the build up of dirt and then clip the nails. Tuck that paw back in and pull out another. You might not get all 4 done and once but you can always try again later with a nice hot towel to finish the job. Also remember that you'll never get the job done perfectly so don't stress too much.
Enjoy your new baby boy and i can't wait to see the pics!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho never was much trouble with her ears, but I also use my finger tip to rub the inside of her ear while I"m petting her. That way she gets used to the movement and something in her ear. She loves it so much that she will sometimes move her head so my fingers will go in her ears if she doesn't think I'm rubbing them enough :LOL:

myspecialboy

Lairian
Thanks for the tips! I've had him for over a year, but the tasks of ear cleaning and nail clipping have become harder as he's gotten bigger. He's 17 months and 10.5lbs! He is so muscular and strong that it's almost a wrestling match to do these things and he always wins! I'll try the coconut oil and see if that helps, but is it okay if he eats it? I think I'm overprotective of him! Also, do you all prefer cat clippers or human nail clippers? What do you all think of those pedipaws things? I'd imagine he'd be afraid of those, but they seem easy enough.

Pbinky

Banned
As long as the coconut oil is natural/organic as well virgin oil is best, it's ok if he eats it. my 10 month old doesn't really lick it but my 4 month old loves it and licks it like crazy when i use it on him.
I use kitty nail clippers so i guess it doesn't make a difference, what ever is easier for you to use.

Brooke

Banned
My girl Mandy gives me trouble with the nail clipping, too. She growls the whole time, and wrapping her in a towel works like a charm!

Also, I've found that if I take each cat into the bathroom and shut the door and sit down in there with them to do the ears and nails, they seem to be more calm. Maybe because the other 3 aren't watching, but probably the change of scenery helps, too.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the tips! I've had him for over a year, but the tasks of ear cleaning and nail clipping have become harder as he's gotten bigger. He's 17 months and 10.5lbs! He is so muscular and strong that it's almost a wrestling match to do these things and he always wins! I'll try the coconut oil and see if that helps, but is it okay if he eats it? I think I'm overprotective of him! Also, do you all prefer cat clippers or human nail clippers? What do you all think of those pedipaws things? I'd imagine he'd be afraid of those, but they seem easy enough.

wow 10.5lbs :ThumbsUp:
For the nails I use human clippers I think it is easier but find whatever works for you!
As for petipaws I use that on my dogs but not on the cats, the cats have A outer shell on their nail and the petipaws can crack that and it is there to protect the nail so I would stick to just cutting them.
Find A spot that he is comfy in (I just sit on the couch and sit mine in my lap) Leo is good and Athena can be A bit tricky at times, also try to play with his feet alot this way when it is time to clip his nails he is used to his feet being touched!

Fountainrunner

Lairian
I do it as soon as my monster has fallen asleep and is too tired to fight me (seems to work). The towel idea works well too, so combine the two if your kitty is really difficult. As soon as it falls asleep, wrap it up tight and go at it! After a good ear cleaning I only need to clean his ears every other week.

I use Q-tips! Does any one know of any Q-tips with smaller slimmer cotton heads, which would maneuver better in the small crevices of a cat's ear? The regular ones in stores are usually so big.

English Dave

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I do it as soon as my monster has fallen asleep and is too tired to fight me (seems to work). The towel idea works well too, so combine the two if your kitty is really difficult. As soon as it falls asleep, wrap it up tight and go at it! After a good ear cleaning I only need to clean his ears every other week.

I use Q-tips! Does any one know of any Q-tips with smaller slimmer cotton heads, which would maneuver better in the small crevices of a cat's ear? The regular ones in stores are usually so big.

I got some long handled slim single ended ones from my vets office; I don't know what they are called as they gave them to me for free but it might be worth you asking at yours.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Do any of you have good ear cleaning tips? My Chadwick absolutely HATES getting his ears cleaned, but it's a necessary evil. Do you have any ideas how to make this less of a chore for the both of us? I've tried those ear wipes from Petsmart and the ear cleaning solution you put in their ears from there, also (can't remember the brand).
Also, if you all have any tips for trimming claws, too! He hates that almost as much as the ears and I have little scars on my arms from where he gets mad. He just hates having his back feet touched!

PS. I'll try to get some pics of my special boy up soon! I am brand new to the site and am computer illiterate, but he's so beautiful!

I use woman's yeast infection cream to clean George's ears.(embarrassed) The vet actually recommended it because cats tend to get yeast infections in their ears. I use a Q-tip or toilet paper to clean them. When trimming a kitty's nails ALWAYS trim them from the side. They will never bleed then! I also do not recommend the guillotine clippers. They are dangerous!

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Did you just get Chadwick? If so, was your breeder regularly trimming his nails and cleaning his ears. I have a feeling George is going to be 10 pounds soon and hes not even 5 months old!

Brooke

Banned
I use woman's yeast infection cream to clean George's ears.(embarrassed) The vet actually recommended it because cats tend to get yeast infections in their ears. I use a Q-tip or toilet paper to clean them.

Interesting!! Really, the only embarrassing part is when you have to buy it...:Whistle:

lilybella

Lairian

I suggest you make sure the q-tips you are using are good ones...nice and soft. I just used some cheaper ones last weekend and my little girls were not too happy about it. I use Johnson & Johnson brand.

myspecialboy

Lairian
Did you just get Chadwick? If so, was your breeder regularly trimming his nails and cleaning his ears. I have a feeling George is going to be 10 pounds soon and hes not even 5 months old!

Nope, I've had him since he was about 14 weeks, but I just found the site recently. It's been a battle the whole time, but I got the ear thing down. As for the nails, I've given up and I take him to a groomer. I use the J&J Q-tips and this ear solution that was recommended to me on this site. I have to straddle him on the floor to do it, but as long as I talk to him and rub his chin, he'll let me finish the job. I never go farther than what I can see, but that solution that I put in there helps bring out the wax that's deeper.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mo quite enjoys being 'pampered' he likes being wraped up in a fleece blanket or my dressing gown and when he is relaxed and sleepy he isnt bothered about me cleaning or messing about with his ears. Hes good having his nails done too. I usually use dry q-tips to clean his ears as far as I can see and q-tips with a bit of warm water to clean his nails then trim them with cat nail clippers. Its much easier to clean his front paws than his back though, back feet must be more sensative coz he sometimes wiggles them about when I'm trying to clip them!

Back