Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Easily Burnt?

Mr Electrical

Lairian
Hello!

I am looking at getting a sphynx but my breeder told me something that worries me. She said that sphynx don't have the ability to know when hot is too hot. She said that if you don't watch them very carefully, they'll walk right into a lit fireplace, an oven, curl up around a hot stove top, ect.

What concerns me is that I have electric baseboard heating in my home that gets quite hot; my infrared thermometer clocked it at ~170F. If what the breeder says is true, I am worried that the cat might try to sleep up against it and get terrible burns when it kicks on because it doesn't know to move.

Can anyone confirm or refute my worries? I absolutely love the breed and would love to have a sphynx in my home, but I don't want to get a kitty if she wouldn't be safe.

Thank you in advanced for your thoughts and advice!
-Mr Electrical

Crinkuls

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
One of mine got sores/ burns on her front legs from laying on our very hot radiators. She bends her front legs under . I now have radiator shelves fitted to all of our radiators that are wide enough for them to lay on. I had previously just covered them with folded towels thinking that would do the job but she would dig at the towels to lay directly on the hot radiators. The other silly sphynx still puts her paws in candle flames after burning herself many times. I no longer have candles. Usually they learn ( like children ) but she is just daft. She also tries to hook out teabags from a mug of boiling water when we are making a pot of tea!! The burns did heal eventually on Princess's legs. Silly silly Sphynx's!!

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think there is some truth to what your breeder is saying, some sphynx are so curious and need to touch everything! But there is always a way to put safety measures on to these hot things :)

Get a baseboard heater cover or make something DIY yourself that will stop a cat from being able to touch the hot part.

A tip is to search "<thing> how to child proof" on google -- there are always people looking to do these sorts of things when having a baby.

I think it is a simple thing to fix and you should definitely not let it put you off getting a cat :)

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mine have never gotten burned. I had open flame candles on the coffee table just last night and they knew not to go too close. They could feel the heat and then backed away.

I can't see a sphynx walking into an open fireplace - that sounds like nonsense to me. Yes, they are heat seekers, but they also have nerve endings. You would see many horror stories on here of people's cats cooking themselves.

I think it is the same as a human turning up a heating pad too high and getting a burn. It can happen occasionally, but it is the exception and not the rule.

I would just keep the heaters free of any blankets or things that a sphynx would cuddle up in. And look for ways to babyproof them - there must be something for parents who have kids crawling around.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We also have hot radiators, some with covers, some not, they seem to be smart enough to know the difference. The house always has candles lit as well with no issues. There pretty smart creatures! :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Like the others have said. Just child proof your home and you will
be fine. It's not as bad as you've heard or think. Always be safe of course
But, you need to do that with anything. Don't let that keep you from
getting one, if you really want one. You won't regret getting a sphynx.

BrianT

Lairian
I Have 6 Sphynxs, 2 space heaters running 24/7 , candles burning, furnace exhaust pipes exposed. Never had one problem. Cats are dang smart about not wanting to get hurt, and if anything, I would say a bald cat is LESS likely to get into trouble than furred cats when it comes to hot stuff. Their skin is just as sensitive as our skin, I would say.