Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Eat, Poop pure water within 15 minutes, repeat. PLEASE HELP!

HClower

Lairian
So I brought in an unaltered, 2 year old female sphynx back in April. I already had a year and a half old altered male. I knew she wasn't utd on her vax, but was told she was healthy and there were no issues. Got her home, bringing iams kitten food along from the original owner as she said this was what she fed all of her cats, so I could slowly switch her. First trip to the litter box, very loose diarrhea. Figured ok, stress, didn't start feeding new food for first few days to let her settle in. Few days passed, same thing, bad diarrhea. Took to vet, got shots and wormed, was told give her more time to adjust. Contacted the previous owner again and was assured that was never an issue with her. Started switching food to Purina one sensitive skin and stomach that my male thrives on. Same story. Added the pumpkin tummy topper that helped my male, she wasn't a fan and no changes. Had probiotic powder I had from the male, vet recommended trying that, nothing changed. The male can also eat the iams sensitive skin and stomach, so thought let's try that so both are on the same food. Same story. Eats, within 15 minutes, diarrhea. And yes, food was changed slowly. I got an anti-diarrrhea otc med from chewy, no change. Tried a hemp supplement that said it could help if it was stress related, again, no luck. Contacted vet again and she prescribed the Purina One Vet hydrolyzed HA food, which is not cheap! Switched to that slowly, started her on it a week ago now, and believe it or not, it's worse now! She went from bad diarrhea to legit pure water! She eats and and within 15 minutes shoots pure poop water out. It's awful! Then she gets it on her feet and tail, and then it's strung all through the house. I have ran out of ideas. Vet wants me to try this entire 8 lb bag of the HA before we deem it unsuccessful, but I am desperate. We need help. She can't feel good and I feel she needs some weight which, if she could retain food it would sure help. Please, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can't stand the poop string through the house anymore. We are changing our bed sheets so many times because of the poop. It's on our floors, the walls, anything she touches. Please help Feme, and ME!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@HClower ,oh my heart. I am so sorry sweet Feme is having poo issues.

*** were you able to drop off a poo sample for vet check, rule out *Coccidia (sign can be watery stool),, T.Foetus some members have shared results of, giardia ,crypto, tritri?

some vets will treat for giardia with metronidazole in case of a false negative. tri tri takes calls for a different med.

from my experience, food trials can take up to 12 weeks for tummies and GI to settle. I went thru it with one of my kitties. it took my Macie over 2 months for food to settle. (sharing I use online discounts for rx food for my Macie for years. my vet has discounts thru their website for rx thru vetsource . I often get discounts too on chewy rx code, 800petmeds code etc. I juggle between the best deals and set reminders to cancel autoships as soon as food arrives so next purchase I can search for other discounts).

did vet mention doing a pcr test?
I know you must be exhausted, hang in there, we are here for you.
I would recommend talking with vet about dropping off a stool sample to check to rule out the things I mentioned. it is about 15-20 dollars at my vet for stool sample check. (stool sample must be fresh, you can refrigerate it in a sealed container and double ziplock bag.

( side note , have you asked vet about getting her spayed? you may already know but wanted to share, intact females can get pyometra. (you can check for any discharge /pus vulva are and other signs. confirm NO ketamine anesthesia or mix of as it can have a rebound effect on heart if unknown underlying heart conditions. my vet uses isoflurane gas anesthesia or others she uses on exotics.)

members will surely chime in. hugs n positive vibe head smooches . following closely for updates
**is she staying hydrated? drinking enough water? Mine will drink more water from a bowl kept several feet away from food dish. sharing :

Last edited:

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can understand you must feel so stressed and tired. If your vet hasn't done so already, definitely agree with the advice about asking them to do a stool sample if possible . I know these things can take time to treat/ settle down. Would it be possible to keep her in a more enclosed area for a while after her feed for now so she doesn't go zooming around the house spreading her poo trails ? Wishing you all the best and sending good vibes for a positive outcome x

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with getting a poop sample done. Because your other cat is not showing any signs in their stool, there probably aren’t parasites/something contagious, but you never know. Did your vet float that it could be IBD? You might also seek another opinion as well. They might find the missing piece as to what is going on. What probiotic powder did you use and for how long? Psyllium husk and FortiFlora are what our vet has recommended with tummy issues.

HClower

Lairian
Nothing. Good as can be. It has now been 2 weeks in the food and she still just shoots the stinkiest poop water every time. I called the vet today and they said by 2-3 weeks I should see something improved, so they added something called Fast Balance GI Pro Paste twice a day to see if that helps. Praying for some relief because I'm literally going through a big bucket of tidy cat a week to keep things clean.
No change in your other cat’s poop since this new baby came in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HClower

Lairian
If I don't see improvement in a few days with this new GI paste we picked up today, that's about all I will have left to try. The only reason we haven't was because the vet said with what we wormed her with, all should be clear. I've been secluding her to our bedroom mostly where their litter boxes are in our attached bathroom. I may have to start secluding to just the bathroom while gone for work and such though because I'm changing sheets multiple times a week.
I can understand you must feel so stressed and tired. If your vet hasn't done so already, definitely agree with the advice about asking them to do a stool sample if possible . I know these things can take time to treat/ settle down. Would it be possible to keep her in a more enclosed area for a while after her feed for now so she doesn't go zooming around the house spreading her poo trails ? Wishing you all the best and sending good vibes for a positive outcome x

HClower

Lairian
If I don't see improvement in a few days with this new GI paste we picked up today, that's about all I will have left to try. The only reason we haven't was because the vet said with what we wormed her with, all should be clear. I've been secluding her to our bedroom mostly where their litter boxes are in our attached bathroom. I may have to start secluding to just the bathroom while gone for work and such though because I'm changing sheets multiple times a week.

HClower

Lairian
I have heard about the fortiflora, another friend with a sphynx has used it and had great success so I may have to try that as well.
I agree with getting a poop sample done. Because your other cat is not showing any signs in their stool, there probably aren’t parasites/something contagious, but you never know. Did your vet float that it could be IBD? You might also seek another opinion as well. They might find the missing piece as to what is going on. What probiotic powder did you use and for how long? Psyllium husk and FortiFlora are what our vet has recommended with tummy issues.

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sending positive vibes that you get to the bottom of this and hopefully manage to eliminate the problem. Hoping the fortiflora helps but if not maybe press the vet for further tests as the situation for both you and her can't go on indefinitely x

HClower

Lairian
Sending positive vibes that you get to the bottom of this and hopefully manage to eliminate the problem. Hoping the fortiflora helps but if not maybe press the vet for further tests as the situation for both you and her can't go on indefinitely x

You're right! Thank you so much, ordering the flora now and praying between it, the last, and the $73 a bag food, something helps. I'd love to breed her next month but definitely not until this is under control.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@HClower , were you able to drop off the stool sample to rule out coccidia, tritri, giardia?

we have had members share went thru many food trials then finally discovered a diagnosis and treatment. one member in particular mentioned coccidia (which can have loose stool symptoms).

personally stool sample test would be my first thing and to make sure all good there and move on with the food trials
. my vet only charges about $20 to drop off sample check ( it needs to be fresh, can put in a sealed container, refrigerate before going, it needs to be tested within a certain time frame).

food is definitely expensive. I definitely have a system for savings checking autoship discounts etc ( I set a reminder to cancel anytime and shop for next discount).

perhaps a stool sample check and if any results , some meds . some of the meds were free or discounted too thru local food pharmacy like Publix that has a list. if there is an underlying unknown thing going on in stool then food alone will probably not improve things alone.

hugs n positive vibe head smooches. following closely for updates.

HClower

Lairian
Ok so little update here.

My family and I went on vacation Monday the 17, and we are currently on our way back now on Thursday, the 20.

We dropped them off at the vet for boarding on Saturday, the 15. We took her HA food and she still had a few doses of the GI paste left. I asked for them to run a fecal on her while she was there. I just called and got confirmation that everything came back clear and negative, but they did prescribe another tube of the GI paste. I have ordered the flora stuff to add to her feed upon returning home and picking them up tomorrow. What else is there? I mean she can just have IBD and I get that, but there has to be SOMETHING out there that can solid up her poop!
A note was left for the vet which will be there tomorrow when we pick her up, so the goal is to see if she can maybe Rx something else? I have no idea left.
@HClower , were you able to drop off the stool sample to rule out coccidia, tritri, giardia?

we have had members share went thru many food trials then finally discovered a diagnosis and treatment. one member in particular mentioned coccidia (which can have loose stool symptoms).

personally stool sample test would be my first thing and to make sure all good there and move on with the food trials
. my vet only charges about $20 to drop off sample check ( it needs to be fresh, can put in a sealed container, refrigerate before going, it needs to be tested within a certain time frame).

food is definitely expensive. I definitely have a system for savings checking autoship discounts etc ( I set a reminder to cancel anytime and shop for next discount).

perhaps a stool sample check and if any results , some meds . some of the meds were free or discounted too thru local food pharmacy like Publix that has a list. if there is an underlying unknown thing going on in stool then food alone will probably not improve things alone.

hugs n positive vibe head smooches. following closely for updates.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@HClower , glad stool sample came back negative. did they mention how her stool has been while being boarded?
keep in mind when you bring Feme home, and your boy (did I miss his name?) they can have some stress from being boarding, loose stool.
glad the stool sample check came back negative.

what is the name of the GI paste? glad you will be bringing some home and have ordered the forti flora.
It takes my pups a few days to settle back in when they were boarded, so I expected some stress related loose stool.

hopeful being back home, her H/A food , GI paste and forti flora will help. slow and steady wins the race, you may not see instant results. give it some time. took my Macie Mae several weeks. now all good.

I keep on hand 100% pure canned pumpkin, libbys or great value brand (when libbys out of stock) (always double check ingredients labels as the cans look similiar and make sure 100 % pumpkin ingredients, no spiices. I slightly warm a teaspoon of it in the microwave for a few seconds as Toby seems to like it better warmed a litte. my pups get a little daily out of the can. ,( finger check temperature) . You can use silicone molds (I got on amazon cheap and freeze the pumpkin and put freezer bags, I double wrap them). you don't want to leave a whole can of pumpkin in the refrigerator because it will spoil, so freezing it and taking out as needed helps. you can use icecube trays and put in freeze bags too .

I personally would bring home, stay with the routine and ask vet about adding a little canned 100% pure canned pumpkin if needed. you don't want to make too many changes at once to let tummy settle.

keep us updated often. you got this! hugs n head smooches to Feme and your boy (love to see pics/names) all paws are family.

1718901468333.png

Attachments

• canned pumpkin.jpeg
    canned pumpkin.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

HClower

Lairian
I tried the tiki cat tummy topper for her like I do my boy, whose name is Smudge by the way ☺️ he loves it and it worked wonders for him, but she's not a fan and didn't help anyway. I'll try the pure pumpkin though and see. The tiki cat has wheatgrass in it, maybe she don't like that. Smudge wouldn't eat the pure pumpkin though, so he gets it. Go figure, couldn't be easy I'm hoping with a second dose of the GI paste and adding flora to her HA food will start solidifying her up. I'll add a picture taken by my friend who works at the vet office where they're being boarded smudge is the colorful one and twice the size of the dark blue solid one which is Feme.
received_1141103407098800.jpeg

@HClower , glad stool sample came back negative. did they mention how her stool has been while being boarded?
keep in mind when you bring Feme home, and your boy (did I miss his name?) they can have some stress from being boarding, loose stool.
glad the stool sample check came back negative.

what is the name of the GI paste? glad you will be bringing some home and have ordered the forti flora.
It takes my pups a few days to settle back in when they were boarded, so I expected some stress related loose stool.

hopeful being back home, her H/A food , GI paste and forti flora will help. slow and steady wins the race, you may not see instant results. give it some time. took my Macie Mae several weeks. now all good.

I keep on hand 100% pure canned pumpkin, libbys or great value brand (when libbys out of stock) (always double check ingredients labels as the cans look similiar and make sure 100 % pumpkin ingredients, no spiices. I slightly warm a teaspoon of it in the microwave for a few seconds as Toby seems to like it better warmed a litte. my pups get a little daily out of the can. ,( finger check temperature) . You can use silicone molds (I got on amazon cheap and freeze the pumpkin and put freezer bags, I double wrap them). you don't want to leave a whole can of pumpkin in the refrigerator because it will spoil, so freezing it and taking out as needed helps. you can use icecube trays and put in freeze bags too .

I personally would bring home, stay with the routine and ask vet about adding a little canned 100% pure canned pumpkin if needed. you don't want to make too many changes at once to let tummy settle.

keep us updated often. you got this! hugs n head smooches to Feme and your boy (love to see pics/names) all paws are family.

View attachment 115401

Yoda mom

Staff member
@HClower , melt my heart, so special your friend works at the vets office where boarded and took an adorable photo of gorgeous Feme and handsome Smudge.
all paws crossed for good news updates! hugs n head smooches.
btw, I have an adoptee bengal ( with IBD) and truly know the food trial... patience love and care, finally found a food that settled great for her and my sphynx crew who are all seniors now.
oh btw, I dont give treats to my Macie Mae or any table scraps even if she gives me that yowl and look!
bet Feme and Smudge happy to be be home

my claire bare is tiny petite compared to my boys.

HClower

Lairian
Little update

I picked up my babies from boarding this morning and as expected, she had diarrhea the whole time. At least they seen first hand what I'm dealing with. They did run the fecal, all of which was clear, but they did say being it was so liquidy, they admitted there was a chance something went undetected. To be sure, they went ahead and prescribed Feme 5 days of panecur, just to cover all bases. They also gave us a prescription for Prednisone. Not entirely sure on what the reasoning was, but I trust them. They wanted us to administer another syringe of the GI paste as well, I guess it's mainly probiotics and such. They want me to stay the course with the AH food for a full 3 months to ensure her system is fully cleaned out and healed. They were definitely happy to see their mama though! And, I did notice they weighed both of them when they took them in, and the week I got Feme, she weighed 5 lbs 5 oz and she's up to 6 lbs even. Makes me think I'm doing something right at least with all this diarrhea. At least she's not losing. And pudgy Smudge, we was over 12 lbs at his last appt in I think January he's down to 11 something now, so I was happy about that.

Unfortunately, on the way home, it happened in the carrier with both Feme and Smudge in it. It was awful! We pulled over and in 95 degrees heat, we did our best to clean them up. Fortunately, thanks to my job, I had gloves and wipes and stuff in my car. We both gloved up and hubby held smudge while I did my best to while him off good, then set him in the back hatch if my SUV, then wiped out the carrier as best as possible, put him back in, got Feme out, and cleaned her up. They told me they had to bath then both once while there, too because of her poop being slung around by her tail and feet. They both shared a kennel so they were both a mess. So, as soon as we got home, I drew a bath, and both got a good cleansing.

Sooooo here's to hoping and praying that something....anything....works for her. I really had planned to breed her in July, but that's not on my priority list right now until I know she's 100% healthy.

HClower

Lairian
@HClower , checkung in for updates. Hugs n positive vibes
No changes
Finished the 5 days of panecur, down to once a day on Prednisone, half way through second tube of GI paste, on our second bag of hydrolyzed feed, and been sprinkling that flora stuff on her food once a day.
A vet tech told me we could take in another sample and have sent out for further testing that they can't do in house, but it's about $100. Not that it's undoable, it's just I have so much invested right now and just spent over $200 on their boarding, another bag of food of $75, it's adding up so fast and I can't find answers for her

Yoda mom

Staff member
@HClower ,((hugs))) continued positive vibes your way for the remaining meds to kick in and help.

(oh,how I can relate to how fast it all adds up. my one pup diabetic, other was epileptic, tests, meds, food etc. )

I had an honest chat with my vet that I would have to wait a couple of weeks to recover from the bills before going ahead with further testing.
I got a carecredit card for my crew ( charges over $200 get a 6 mos promo to pay it off in full but have to make a minimum payment that does not pay off the total in 6 mos. soo I divide the amount by 6 and pay that monthly. ( it can be used for my dental too ) .

Carecredit has outrageous compounding interest if I cannot stay on top of diligently. with that said, it has saved me several times with all the pet related medical bills and my own dental bill. I have never paid a dime of interest. Carecredit is not for everyone , however wanted to share an option).
tips I learned with Carecredit was if the bill was near 200, like 185, I would add a bottle of earcleaner, or something vet sells to add onto the bill to get to the 200 6 month promo. my vet will also let me combine their wellness checks done on the same day if I have to run home and get the other pup, on the same carecredit bill if I take them in the same day so I get the promo). I just sign a piece of paper when I go home to get the other pup.

Care credit "revolving" charges under 200 have to paid in full on that due date usually within 21 days or huge interest.
tip I learned, if I have a revolving charge , I look up the closing date of carecredit and make followup appointments for a day or two after. this way it does not go on the same bill due that month. I know alot of info, but wanted to share how I creatively use care credit (and my regular credit card) with my vet bill.

if after the course of meds, food, fortiflora you are not seeing improvement , I would consider planning for the out of office stool sample check the vet tech mentioned. it has helped get a diagnosis for others in group after trying soo many things.

remind me if she ever had metronidazole? some vets will treat for giardia in case of a false negative test result.

we are here for you, hugs n head smooches. please keep us updated often. all paws are family.

Last edited:

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
wow you have been going through a lot with all of this.

I agree that the HA can take 3mos to fully switch and see if it is working. I know it isn't cheap by any means. I had a 75# dog on it for several years he had IBD and was always having poo issues. He was on steroids and metronidazole. I am surprised they haven't recommended that at this point? Metronidazole has antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and antiprotozoal properties and helps with diarrhea. Some cats from my understanding can have loss of appetite. Fortiflora is also good for tummies as is plain pumpkin as was recommended above.

There are other Rx diets that may be better for her than the HA. Is this the soy based one by chance?
Perhaps the HA is the problem. I would look into other brands possibly or a novel protein diet.
Royal Canin HP, Gastroinstinal, or Ultamino. (My girl was on the ultamino it also helps with allergies and GI stuff)
Hills brand is z/d
You can get most of them through Chewy with a prescription and they can be a little less expensive that way if this is something that she will be on long term.

Hopefully you are able to get to the bottom of her tummy troubles. I can't imagine the stress that you both are going through.

keep us posted on her hopeful progress

Back