Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Eating cleaning and bathing question

SyphixMacka

Lairian
Hey guys.
What ear cleaning solution do you guys recommend? My kitties ears get dirty fast.
Also, how often do you bathe yours? Mine gets so mucky. Her eyes water and there’s ickies all over her.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SyphixMacka , hi, forgot to ask you what is your baby girl's name? all paws are family.

will tag other members for products they get in Canada. @Annejo12 , @Xandria , and others will surely chime in.

you said her eyes are watery? is she sneezing? is any eye discharge green?

sometimes newly homed kitties can get a stress related URI so just wanted to share.

can you share a photo of your baby?

**note coconut oil can clog pores so I personally do not use anymore**

SyphixMacka

Lairian
She is sneezing, but the water coming from her eyes is slightly pinkish. She’s such a friendly, super loving kitty. She demands love and (it seems) comfortable with us the day we brought her home.
Her name is Mača “Ma’ce’a. It means kitty in my language and it stuck because that’s what my son calls her instead of Petra which we wanted.
81EB72F7-4E6F-4B2E-8C62-1953095982FB.jpeg

Attachments

• BDE3CAEF-2AB1-4936-93D5-D4959D8B8034.jpeg
    BDE3CAEF-2AB1-4936-93D5-D4959D8B8034.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 9

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I never use solutions in my cats ears. I don’t like the feel in my ears so I think the same for my kitty. LOL. I just use qtips and carefully clean them. I wash her face every day and clean her ears at the same time. My vet said that with the shape of their ears it would be hard to damage them.

I bathe my kitty about once a month. When she starts to feel greasy I put her in the tub. Otherwise I wash her neck, face, and ears daily or every other day. She sits on the vanity and I use a facecloth with warm water.

SyphixMacka

Lairian
@SyphixMacka , oh my heart, she is stunning!!! love her name. they are certainly velcro kitties!
do you scented cat litter? fabric softeners? some can have reactions to.

@Catzzzmeow
I use tide pods and they have softener in them I believe. The cat litter is the little cylinder pine.
She is such a sweetie. I love her so much and want the best for her. I’ll switch to regular wash if that’s what it takes!

SyphixMacka

Lairian
I never use solutions in my cats ears. I don’t like the feel in my ears so I think the same for my kitty. LOL. I just use qtips and carefully clean them. I wash her face every day and clean her ears at the same time. My vet said that with the shape of their ears it would be hard to damage them.

I bathe my kitty about once a month. When she starts to feel greasy I put her in the tub. Otherwise I wash her neck, face, and ears daily or every other day. She sits on the vanity and I use a facecloth with warm water.
I wasn’t sure if I could wash her face everyday/second day. I’ll definitely do that. Her ears are so gross. I tried with baby wipes, and I wet them as well. She doesn’t mind, but in two days her ears are back to being icky! Thank you for the advice. This really is a wonderful community.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SyphixMacka , Do you have a wellness check scheduled?

always good for peace of mind to rule out if a uri is brewing I ask vet to do a good listen to the heart for any murmurs. wellness check gives a good baseline. it is not uncommon for URI from stress in newly homed kitties. my adoptee got one. got him checked, meds and all good. never an issue again.

I use trizultra w/keto for over 15 yrs with my crew. I just wet swissper cotton rounds and qtips and gently wipe ears out 2-3 times a week. I personally do not flush ears. my vet carries it and I get on line. I also use trizultra wetted on square cotton rounds for wiping chin, belly , legs, taiil. I dont use it on the face, for face I gently wipe with warm wash cloth 100% cotton baby face cloth as needed.

I can go quite awhile between full baths with using bi weekly wipe downs, bi weekly ear cleaning and nail/check trims weekly

some are allergic to fabric softeners. I dont use any or any of the fabric drying sheets. often trial and error with laundry products.

@Bailey21 , @Annejo12 what do you clean ears with?

SyphixMacka

Lairian
@SyphixMacka , Do you have a wellness check scheduled?

always good for peace of mind to rule out if a uri is brewing I ask vet to do a good listen to the heart for any murmurs. wellness check gives a good baseline. it is not uncommon for URI from stress in newly homed kitties. my adoptee got one. got him checked, meds and all good. never an issue again.

I use trizultra w/keto for over 15 yrs with my crew. I just wet swissper cotton rounds and qtips and gently wipe ears out 2-3 times a week. I personally do not flush ears. my vet carries it and I get on line. I also use trizultra wetted on square cotton rounds for wiping chin, belly , legs, taiil. I dont use it on the face, for face I gently wipe with warm wash cloth 100% cotton baby face cloth as needed.

I can go quite awhile between full baths with using bi weekly wipe downs, bi weekly ear cleaning and nail/check trims weekly

some are allergic to fabric softeners. I dont use any or any of the fabric drying sheets. often trial and error with laundry products.

@Bailey21 , @Annejo12 what do you clean ears with?
Oh, a wellness check is a vet appointment. We have one scheduled for Monday morning. The vet is familiar with sphinx’ so I’m really happy to have found him.
I’ll clean her ears twice a week and wipe her down twice a week.
Is there an moisturizing cream I should buy as well?
I did my research on sphinx’ before I bought one, but now that I have her, I feel pretty lost.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SyphixMacka ,glad you have a vet appt monday.. keep us updated. agree with bringing a stool sample.
nice to have a vet with sphynx experience too :)

I do not use any moisturizing creams or coconut oil as it can clog pores . i dont use creams as I dont want them licking and ingesting.
a good shampoo (many use earthbath unscented) and weekly maintenance. overbathing can cause issues too.

lots of info on the sphynx journey, we are here for you.. we all started in the same place. never hesitate to ask questions. hugs n head smooches.

the information center has lots of great threads. I also use the top right search box when looking for other specifics.

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When I first brought my Sphynx home I was scared to death! She seemed so small and vulnerable. I also have a vet familiar with Sphynx and I asked many questions on this site. Everyone is always so helpful and positive. My Sphynx is five years old now. They definitely are a special breed!

Yana and Osiris

Lairian
Welcoming your gorgeous baby {=. Osiris is 3 months old and been with us for 3 weeks now. I'm a young cat-mom myself, so here, sharing my experience.

We use Opiotic ear cleaner, our breeder recommended not to clean their ears too often, thought, only when they get super waxy, which goes hand in hand with how your place clean is. Before bringing Osiris home we had cleaned up the entire flat, except under a couch, so our black piggy turned brownish within a couple of days. After wiping every single and unreachable corner we forgot about this issues. Giving him spa procedures once in 2-3 weeks. Plus, if it's still warm at your place and she is already wearing clothes then this would result in kitty sweating and collecting more dirt as well.

They get wet eyes, again, due to dust mainly as they have been deprived of eyelashes. I use tea solution to wipe them once a day, tea is a natural disinfectant.

Shampoo, we bought Johnson's baby wash, was a sightless choice because all products had mixed reviews, buying a human baby shampoo seemed to be the most reasonable approach. He got like a few bumps on his skin after his first bath, but hasn't been happening again, I reckon it was the first skin reaction.

Trimming claws only when he starts getting stuck, even on the wooden floor :0 I'm still shocked he loves his claws being trimmed, touching wood not to jinx it LMAO.

Feeding 3 times a day, 60-70 gr of food per day (started with Canin, because our breeder advertised it, but now switching to JoseraKitten and later to VetConcept as our vet told us), our local pet store gives free measuring cups :) (plus spoiling him with 2-4 snacks sometimes). Mixed feeding, he lives on raw(this includes wet cat food and raw meat/yolk) and dry food, no allergies/poop problems at all.