Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Eating each other's food, getting SICK!

carly gail

Lairian
Help! I am at such a loss. My roommate's kitty and my sphynx kitten are great friends, however they keep eating each other's food. My roommate buys really bad dollar-store cat food, and Baldwin ofcourse is eating special food for sensitive digestive systems. He vomits atleast once a week now, and doesn't seem to have a huge appetite for his own food during feeding times anymore. I am worried about him. We both work full time, so the cat's are alone together during the day. My roommate is refusing to leave her cat without food for that time (about 10 hours max a day). I said, feed them before work and remove bowl, and feed them again in evening and they will get used to eating on a schedule. But she thinks that is starvation. I'm not sure who's right in this scenario, but I am absolutely freaking out for my Baldwin's health, and I am not sure what the solution to this problem is. Definitely causing major tension in our living situation.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There are computerized feeding devices that can recognize different cats and will only feed the right cat the right food. Otherwise, the solution may be to keep the separated during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Is it possibe to get automatic feeders that open by chip?

Or another idea is to feed the cat of your roommate the same food as Baldwin. You could offer to pay the difference between the price of the cheap food and Baldwin's food.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello there my name is Anita
If you couldn't get your friend to buy the same brand of food , your at a loss in that. Situation , if you have your own room perhaps buy your naked baby loads and loads of toys and put litter tray one side of your room food the other side ,
It is common knowledge that cheap pet foods are made up of mainly water with some vitamins in and a few other additives ,
It is also well know that naked baby don't like to be alone for long periods of time
I would follow one of the ladies above advice tell your flat mate to share food cost , she sounds like a very loving kitty mum as she doesn't like the idea of her kitty going long periods without food ,,
Fix a date with your flat mate cook a nice meal and I am sure from the pure love you both have for your babies you will come to a solution
Kind Regards
Anita & Cleo
Ps explain there is something in the cheaper dried food that expands in the kitties tummy this could be a reason your kitty isn't eating their own. Cause their tummy full make sure there is ample water available xxx