Eats everything

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by Gisele, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Gisele

GiseleLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $681.63
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi all, so our 2 year old Sasha is obsessed with eating.
    Initially when we rescued her she had diarrhoea, We now have her on a veterinary prescribed diet which has solved this problem. The food that she gets is weighed out properly and she is getting more than her daily requirement according to the packaging. She get's fed 2 times a day and she will sit at her bowl and eat the lot without stopping.
    BUT my problem is that she is obsessed with eating and this is what we are currently dealing with; she jumps on the counters and licks any crumbs that may be left over, she will try to get on the oven and eat what we are cooking (we have to lock her out of the kitchen now and she cries the entire time), she has managed to steal lettuce, potatoes, she goes in the food waste bin (we now have a weight on top of it) and takes banana skins, i've caught her eating mushrooms, licking spread off of toast, she tried to eat a vitamin tablet when I dropped it, i've caught her licking avocado off of an avocado stone, and I found her in our sink licking oil out of it.
    Now even though all of these things mean that we keep our kitchen very clean, it's slightly concerning as the behaviour is obsessive and as you may have noticed, none of these things should be appetising to cats.
    The most concerning thing is that she has chewed up and eaten hair ties/elastic bands and yesterday I found her trying to eat a plastic strip from a bottle of oil.

So i'm just here to ask;
    Firstly is this a sphynx thing, or is it a behavioural issue that I need to get addressed at my vets? I'm a veterinary nurse and I have mentioned this at work but no one can give me a definite answer, so I thought it might be best to speak to the sphynx community to see if this is 'normal' sphynx behaviour.
    Secondly, do any of your cats do this and how did you address this problem?

If anyone has any ideas I would be super grateful.
    xx

I forgot to mention that she is the correct weight and her weight hasn't changed since we've had her, despite the diet change.

• Hugs Hugs x 2

• Yoda mom

Yoda momModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $104,640.44
      Ratings:
      +11,186
      • Skull potion!
      • Jack o' lantern
      • Black bat
      • Pumkin
      Hi, surely other members will chime in that have experienced the same issues
      ( I have to keep haribands in a lidded jar ) put up kitties when I cook Etc ) but not to the extreme as Sasha-

Was she hand raised at her previous home? She sounds like a 2 yr old old cut loose to see what mischief is out there ((hugs)))
      It's a whole new world for her

Yes, sphynx are like no t her breed thar ever owned me
      They are like cat monkey dog all in one

@Xandria , may have some helpful advice as well as other members I am sure will chime in

Head smooches sent

• Like Like x 1
      • Gisele

GiseleLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $681.63
        Ratings:
        +46
        Not that i'm aware of, all I know about her previous home is that she was very loved and the reason they gave her up is because the owners broke up and weren't allowed to take cats to their new home.
        She's definitely mischief, I've always wanted a Sphynx because they are like dogs in the way that they want to be around you, What I hadn't accounted for is the labradors appetite lol! I wouldn't give her up though, despite all of the naughty behaviours, I just need to figure out what the best way to deal with this is, or at least have a plan of action in place at home, if it's something behavioural that I can't improve.

I've ordered her an automatic feeder to spread out her meals throughout the day as many times as possible, in hopes that it might help distract her. If anything it will at least stop her from waking us up for food early hours of the morning. I got a feeder ball to see if that would help but she didn't understand it at all, The other thing i'm thinking is maybe a kong wobbler, or something like that?

I'm also wondering if it could be boredom? I play with her for at least 30 minutes straight a day, I've ordered a big cat tree for her to play on.

• Like Like x 1
        • Catzzzmeow

CatzzzmeowModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
          $441,371.25
          Ratings:
          +33,473
          • Scary sphynx
          I like all of the things you are going to try...feeder dish, slow feeder bowl and a cat tree are super ideas. Please update us.

• Yoda mom

Sphynx Bucks:
          $104,640.44
          Ratings:
          +11,186
          • Skull potion!
          • Jack o' lantern
          • Black bat
          • Pumkin
          Keep us updated on her feeders
          I have no doubt she will looooove the tall cat tree

We want pics!

A Dabird pole toy is a popular interactive toy to wear them out ( put away in a closet when not im supervised use- they will chew on the string !)
          Just be sure to kitty proof all toys and your home for life

• Like Like x 1
          • Staceyxxx

StaceyxxxSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
            $5,270.38
            Ratings:
            +761
            Binky loves to lick things not necessary eat..! Have you had her poop tested incase there an underlying problem! The vet changed Binky’s food to royal canine GI but it never made her feel full as the ingredients is easy on there digestive system but the ingredients isn’t that great! I had to stop feeding her due to breaking out in spots n put her back on applaws kitten! Good luck

• Like Like x 1
            • Hugs Hugs x 1
            • Gisele

GiseleLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
              $681.63
              Ratings:
              +46
              She's on hills I/D which is basically the same thing as the RC GI, I tried her with a spoonful of applaws yesterday as a treat post-bathtime, and we immediately had diarrhoea, so I think we may be stuck on the I/D. I haven't had her poo tested because she has responded to the ID which makes me think she has malabsorption. Although it definitely is something to consider if she carries on being so food crazy. The other thing we have discussed are blood tests to check her liver, just in case. But as i've only had her since February, I don't want to put her through too much so soon.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
              • Gisele

GiseleLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                $681.63
                Ratings:
                +46
                Ok so, the cat tree has arrived and has been built, hopefully she likes it! So far so good, she was climbing all over it as I was trying to build it and she has been on it quite a lot already today.
                IMG_9312.JPG

The timed feeder arrived yesterday and I can already tell that it is going to be a godsend. The hopper on it holds around 3-4kg of food, it has a 'frequent feed' setting which appears to be working wonders. I've timed it so that she gets 6 feeds between the hours of 6am and 6pm. She is supposed to eat 60g a day and each feed is 1 unit which is 10g per feed, so it works out perfectly.
                This morning she didn't wake us up at 7am crying for food as she usually does, my partner said that he saw her pawing and licking at the feed nozzle lol! As soon as she hears it going she darts from wherever she is in the house, It's been 24 hours and i'm already pretty sure it's one of the best purchases i've made!

IMG_9303.JPG

• Like Like x 6
                • Zab

ZabV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                  $44,903.54
                  Ratings:
                  +5,016
                  • Blue Sphynx
                  That feeder dispenser is something I should try too! My girl Fisen is one of those eaters too, she eats like crazy and then she pukes. We've been feeding her less every time and more frequent throughout the day instead. The puking has stopped. But, she steals food, human food, and jumps on kitchen counters and looks around... Oh these little monsters!

• Like Like x 4
                  • Gisele

GiseleLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                    $681.63
                    Ratings:
                    +46
                    I'll keep you updated, but so far i've made breakfast and lunch and she's left me alone. I have still seen her sniffing around for food but its not as obsessive and she isn't crying for food like she usually does. I wonder if its because we aren't the ones feeding her so she stops associating us with food time, that paired with the frequent small meals. I also figured that its good peace of mind for me to know she's getting fed regularly when i'm out.

The feeder we got is the catmate c3000, so far I would recommend it! It cost me around £65 and it takes 4x C batteries that you have to get separately, they say with constant use the batteries last up to 3 months. The smallest portions of biscuits it gives per meal is 10g (which is 1 unit) and that works perfectly for us. To set it up I found the paper instructions a bit vague so I youtube'd it and it was pretty straight forward.

• Like Like x 4
                    • Toa and Ross

Toa and RossGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
                      $220,117.63
                      Ratings:
                      +19,877
                      Great cattree. And that feeders looks like to be the erfect solution!

• Like Like x 1
                      • Yoda mom

Sphynx Bucks:
                        $104,640.44
                        Ratings:
                        +11,186
                        • Skull potion!
                        • Jack o' lantern
                        • Black bat
                        • Pumkin
                        @Gisele , great cat tree and feeder ! Thanks for sharing the feeder brand model number-
                        Very helpful to members

Keep us updated !

• Like Like x 1
                        • Staceyxxx

StaceyxxxSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                          $5,270.38
                          Ratings:
                          +761
                          Bless, yeah best just sticking to the food that’s stopping the poops! Yeah I would consider bloods and poop tests if the behaviour continues, she’s gorgeous! Oh these babies don’t come cheap, love the cat tree! Xx

• Like Like x 1
                          • Hugs Hugs x 1
                          • kauna

kaunaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                            $5,002.74
                            Ratings:
                            +340
                            • Orange Sphynx
                            I love the cat tree!

I also had to get an automatic feeder for my girl and it works wonders. She was always hungry!!

I was going to ask if the calorie count in the prescription diet food is lower. One of my dogs was on Hills Z/D and he was fed more than the bag recommended as the calorie count wasn't enough for him at their recommended feeding. just a thought as sphynx have a higher metabolism.

• Like Like x 2
                            • Hugs Hugs x 1
                            • evsgarden

evsgardenLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                              $890.29
                              Ratings:
                              +36
                              You are doing all the right things .my two definitely try to get into everything. Including chewing wires . hair elastics, any elastics, string, they will chew . avocados i eat everyday they try to llick those too. I have sphynx proof my house as much as. Possible . every once in a while they will still get into something. Its like living with a 2 year old forever. Lol

• Like Like x 2
                              • PetitePuce

PetitePuceLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                                $2,183.38
                                Ratings:
                                +208
                                • Fish
                                My Kojak is totally obsessed with food. I have had to work around his obsession in several ways; 1 - I now use my freezer as a trashcan. All "food" or containers that once had food in it goes in the freezer until trash day. He has found his way into my trashcan no matter what I put on it to secure the lid. 2 - I use my microwave as a "food safe" - I now store bread or anything that doesn't need to be refrigerated in the microwave. Thank goodness I live on my own so I don't need to keep too much in the food safe.

Like you, I have caught Kojak eating things that in no way should be appealing to a cat. The worst case I can think of is that he ate an ENTIRE avocado (skin and all... all that was left was the avocado seed) - I can no longer leave avocados out in my fruit bowl like I used to. I don't even understand how he digested the skin of the avocado - it's like plastic so I'm totally confused by that. I called the vet to find out if it's okay for a cat to eat avocado and apparently it's not good for cats. He told me to watch him carefully and to bring him in if I noticed anything that would indicate he was having problems. Luckily he was fine.

This weekend I caught him dragging an entire bag of bagels into my bedroom - it was comical watching him trying to walk while straddling the bag of bagels between his legs.

I found out the hard way that when he steals food, he tends to hide under my bed while he eats his stolen loot. I noticed this when I was cleaning the house and found chewed up plastic bags and leftover food under the bed.

I feed Kojak a raw food diet so I can't use the auto feeder system. I feed him twice a day and try to keep him occupied as much as possible to keep him out of trouble.

He also loves to chew on straws - that cat will steal a straw out my glass and run off with it like a thief in the night. He also tends to have a sweet tooth - he loves to eat marshmallows, lollipops and anything he sees me eating! Sometimes he will steal the food right from my hand as it is going into my mouth. He can "jump-fly" around corners and steal food as he flies past me. It's amazing, I wish I could catch him on tape when he does a fly-by like that!

I'm not sure if it's a Sphynx characteristic or not, but I've never had a cat act like this before and Kojak is my first Sphynx so I tend to say it's something about the breed. But you just have to love them - they are just the best companions!

• LOL LOL x 3
                                • Hugs Hugs x 1
                                • Gisele

GiseleLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                                  $681.63
                                  Ratings:
                                  +46
                                  The recommended amount is slightly low I think, So i have increased her daily amount by 10g (so from the recommended 50g to 60g). We had her on Z/D in case it was allergy related and there was no improvement. But the Hills I/D seems to be working really well and she loves it.
                                  We did try something different as a post-bathtime treat, we gave her a teaspoon of fish and she immediately had explosive diarrhoea, So i've resigned to her being on I/D for a while. Her stools are still a bit soft but it's nothing compared to before. I'm thinking of getting a faecal workup done on her. She's been wormed, she's had an ultrasound to check her liver and intestines for any abnormalities. (liver problems can cause them to eat non edible things). Everything appeared ok, I think next step is to get a faecal sample sent off for analysing.
                                  I don't know if I would go as far as to put her under general anaesthesia for an intestinal biopsy, I feel like that's too invasive for an otherwise happy cat.

The timed feeder seems to have done the trick!
                                  She no longer pesters us for food, especially in the morning. When cooking she leaves us alone most of the time, she still occasionally tries her luck with things like butter if theres an open tub on the counter and we aren't looking, but its a lot less obsessive. Eating random objects has also improved to my knowledge! Also this past week, I have seen her leave some food in the bowl and come back to it. Which was unheard of!

I was also wondering if anyone has one of those Open Air self-cleaning litter boxes? and if so, how well does it work with softer stools?

• Like Like x 2
                                  • Hugs Hugs x 1
                                  • Yoda mom

Sphynx Bucks:
                                    $104,640.44
                                    Ratings:
                                    +11,186
                                    • Skull potion!
                                    • Jack o' lantern
                                    • Black bat
                                    • Pumkin
                                    @Gisele , thanks for the update will be following for more

Btw, you can post a separate new Thread about open air self cleaning litter boxes so all can see it amd chime in

Head smooches sent!