Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Elf?... just curious

Hey Everyone!
So before I had picked out my little girl, I shopped around for breeders and found one that had ELFS!.... wtf are elves I was thinking.. anyway, the breeder showed me and although they were just as cute there was just something not right.....
So, now im just curious to see what everyones opinion on them are..:Dizzy:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Elfs are a hybrid breed, a cross that retains the hairlessness of the sphynx and the curled ears of the American Curl. So you end up with a hairless, curly eared kitty. I've seen pictures of them and they look cute.

I'm not so sure about them otherwise, my reservation is that sphynx tend to have gunky ears and I suspect that having curled ears might make them even harder to clean, possibly. But that's only a theory and I haven't heard anything to contradict it. Bloodline wise, Curls have a diverse foundation base and would probably blend well with Sphynx.

Little unimportant factoid: Ohio's first American Curl was imported by me back in 1990. Was a sealpoint girl named Cocoa. But she was the cat from hell and I ended up returning her to her breeder.

I think they are very cute... but I do not know much about the American Curl and the (possible) difficulties (?) with the breed. OK... that sounds confusing. We all know that sphynxes have some certain "challenges". From bathing, ears, oily nails, higher incidence of allergies, HCM, digestive issues, dental issues... etc. So if there are "challenges" like this with the american curl, what is the result when you cross the two?? Just curious.... But they are cute and silly looking... :Smile:

I have also run across them when I was researching sphynx and they are adorable! I would be curious to know more about them(genetics, problems,etc.), but they seem to be a new breed. I have a link to them if anyone wants it (just PM me) - I didn't think I could post it on here, but it tells the history of the elf cat....kinda interesting :Wink:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think they're very cute... but Gizzy'smom has a point. Medically/breed wise, i don't know much of the breed and can't speak on that. But i think they're cute. I actually think the elfed hairy kitties are cuter, but that's just my opinion.
There was a lady i had on my facebook who breed some... but i ended up having to delete her. she seemed to be pushing literes out left and right and that's not something i agree with.

Elfs are a hybrid breed, a cross that retains the hairlessness of the sphynx and the curled ears of the American Curl. So you end up with a hairless, curly eared kitty. I've seen pictures of them and they look cute.

I'm not so sure about them otherwise, my reservation is that sphynx tend to have gunky ears and I suspect that having curled ears might make them even harder to clean, possibly. But that's only a theory and I haven't heard anything to contradict it. Bloodline wise, Curls have a diverse foundation base and would probably blend well with Sphynx.

Little unimportant factoid: Ohio's first American Curl was imported by me back in 1990. Was a sealpoint girl named Cocoa. But she was the cat from hell and I ended up returning her to her breeder.
Wow! How cool of importing the first American Curl in Ohio! I do wonder tho, what made her such a "hell cat"? You know we love stories! lol

I have also run across them when I was researching sphynx and they are adorable! I would be curious to know more about them(genetics, problems,etc.), but they seem to be a new breed. I have a link to them if anyone wants it (just PM me) - I didn't think I could post it on here, but it tells the history of the elf cat....kinda interesting :Wink:
I did a little reasearch, the actual American Curl is a very strong sturdy cat, only requires daily grooming if they have long hair. I'm sure that isn't a problem with the hairless version!:LOL: I've seen them before on a few breeder sites, I'm curious to meet one some day but I am sort of smitten on the regular long ears of the Sphynx, I hate the curls in my hair,,not sure I'd dig them too much on a cats ears. . I'm sure they are just as sweet and kind hearted tho.

I agree with Candys I like the Sphynx the way it is. All though we wouldnt be here without crossing somewhere down the line. They are cute but doesnt add to the breed. Seems to me to take away from it. Maybe I just dont know but Id like to see the benefit from it as well or the repercussions if any.

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I can't imagine having to clean a curly ear. I like everything about the sphynx so I will stick my huge eared cat.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I know American Curl breeders.
In fact there we be one at our cat club holiday party on Tues.
The Elf breed is very controversial and many of the sphynx breeders will not work with breeders that are breeding them.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow! How cool of importing the first American Curl in Ohio! I do wonder tho, what made her such a "hell cat"? You know we love stories! lol
She was just meaner than a snake. Was constantly terrorizing the other kitties and didn't seem to like people much either. She'd as soon try to take a bite out of me as look at me. I'll put up with a lot from an animal but I won't tolerate an animal that bites for the sheer joy of biting. So back she went.

She was just meaner than a snake. Was constantly terrorizing the other kitties and didn't seem to like people much either. She'd as soon try to take a bite out of me as look at me. I'll put up with a lot from an animal but I won't tolerate an animal that bites for the sheer joy of biting. So back she went.
aww too bad. I've had my share of grumpy kitties. One was an all white DSH, she constantly attacked my daughter when she was about 3 yrs old. My daughter was always good with animals and never bothered her or provoked her but this cat would out right try to attack my daughter and she often had scratches all the way down her legs where the cat would chase her and scratch her. We ended up having to rehome her.

I was looking at them while researching the Sphynx and there seems to be two trains of thought on them and some "controversy" as to where the breed should go and where it came from. Who was the originator, which breed should it be bred to, etc. :Question:

To me the ears don't look right on the Sphynx head (standard). Maybe if the nose was less predominant or the head was rounder or the base of the ears narrower so the “elf” ears looked proportionate to the rest of the head….

…but then it wouldn’t look like a Sphynx then would it :Wink: other than the “hairlessness”. And personally I like the Gizmo look. But personal opinions are just that… personal.​

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meh- I can care less about breed snobbiness. I'm very 'over' breeders who think they are better then anyone else. My issue with new breeds is...

1. Health
You shouldn't just think 'this breed will look good bred to that breed'. You really need to look at the health and any issues inherent in the two breeds you are crossing. I am betting American Curls are a pretty healthy breed- so that's a positive mark in my book. But I believe cleaning curly ears is a very hard job- harder then cleaning a normal Sphynx ear and I do have to think about that issue

2. Purpose
If you are just breeding to create a new fashionable breed, but are unwilling to get out to the show rings and do the WORK INVOLVED in creating a new breed through a registry, then I think you need to step back and think about where you are going with your 'breed'. It isn't a breed, but a hybrid if you are unwilling to work towards a standard and get out there in the Preliminary New Breed rings.

JMHO :)

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This is a really tough one. Yes they are very cute, but I like sphynx the way that they are. If this was a natural mutation that had occurred, like the sphynx, then fine. Preserve it. However, this seems to me like breeding out of greed, a common thing with "designer breeds". The other problem I have with "designer breeds" is that too often people impulse buy the latest thing and then these cats end up in shelters. I know this as my very good friend works at a local shelter and sees these "beloved queens" dumped off on a regular basis. If the people who are developing this breed are truly dedicated and go through all the work to ensure ethical breeding practices and such, then who is to say no? But like I said, I like the sphynx just they way they are....I don't want stubby legs, folded ears, no tail.....I think they should stay just as they are. It is a tough one for sure. JMHO.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know alot about breeds or breeding but I don't really care for the Elfs. I like the sphynx the way they are:BigSmile:

I have an elf eared sphynx. In fact I think Im the only one on this site who has one. Their ears are very easy to clean because the ears are much more open than the long and pointy ears. As far as I know there is not much of a difference between regular ears and curled except the fact that they are curled. Zero is super sweet natured and he constantly is riding around on my shoulder or snuggling up with me at bed time. He is about ten lbs now and is only 8 months. Also he is a stud :BigSmile:
Any questions about him I would be happy to answer. I also have pictures up.
I think the curled ears just make my sphynx look that much more unique. I love him just the way he is.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My breeder had a couple of dwelfs. They have the curly ears and short stubby legs. Half dwarf/half elf/hairless.

Well, let me start by saying that I think that American Curls are gorgeous. And, I think that Sphynx cats are gorgeous! Yes, I think that Elf kittens are adorable with their ears. But, I personally much prefer the overall look of the Sphynx. Who knows...Maybe in the future I'll own an Elf, once the breed has developed more fully. But, for the moment, I am anxiously awaiting for a little Sphynx kitten.

There is also what is called a "Dwelf" if I am correct. They are hairless, with curled ears, and short legs. I don't think it's recognized by the TICA or CFA yet, but I may be wrong.

hmmm I dunno I dont like the look of the curly ears, i think one of the most adorable thing about the sphynx is its massive ears, i wouldnt change my nakied baby for the world, he's as hansome as its possible for any cat to be :) I might be a bit bias tho :ThumbsUp:

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just wanted to comment on those who thought the Elves don't look like Sphynxes- IF they were to move forward as a breed, they would have to develop their own type and own standard. They can't simply be 'Sphynx with curly ears'. Unfortunately, at this juncture, they have yet to develop any other type besides that of curly eared Sphynxes!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
IF they were to move forward as a breed, they would have to develop their own type and own standard. They can't simply be 'Sphynx with curly ears'.
Well stated.
For me when it comes to developing a new breed, it all boils down to the intention behind it, and hope that "health" rates higher than "novelty".

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just wanted to comment on those who thought the Elves don't look like Sphynxes- IF they were to move forward as a breed, they would have to develop their own type and own standard. They can't simply be 'Sphynx with curly ears'. Unfortunately, at this juncture, they have yet to develop any other type besides that of curly eared Sphynxes!
Well stated.
For me when it comes to developing a new breed, it all boils down to the intention behind it, and hope that "health" rates higher than "novelty".

I agree.