Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Elfie update .. Again ....

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor thing is having a string of bad luck like you wouldn't believe lately!

She finally started to come around after a few days; was getting back to her old self and then I noticed two spots on the back of her neck, the pigmentation was off. Waited a day and then decided to give her a bath. Gave her a bath and noticed that it caused the spots to sort of crust over.

I have a lotion I put on her after a bath it's called Nature's Aid, it helps with all sorts of skin issues so I doubled up and made sure to get it all nice and rubbed in.

Next morning the spots are bigger and redder! I started to wonder about a fungus ..

Next day the spots are starting to sink in like the skin is eating itself!

So off to the vets we go because I'm sure that it is related to her dental surgery. The vet agreed.

So they wen't back through her surgical log and sure enough the subque dose of pain meds they gave her went sub derma and it's killed the skin.

The spots on her back are necrotic tissue!!!
The pain meds (Metacam) actually KILLED the tissue!!

There isn't really a treatment other then cutting out the tissue which would require more of the same meds and cause the same problem so the only option is to give it the time it needs to heal itself from the inside out!

A process that could take up to 6 months!!

So just keep an eye on your babies if they go for surgery!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear about this. I am sending you lots of healing vibes. I never knew that this could happen. Thank you for sharing, and again, I am so sorry and sending lots of positive vibrations. Hugs.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You know we are here for you. Keep a log and update this thread so it stays in one place. Also don't be shy in sharing pics of the progress...kudos for not waiting and knowing something was off.

Patti

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
image.jpg

This is today's photos, I've been taking one every day.

The vet's office is being very supportive, they told me that they will she Elfie free of charge as often as I think is needed until this is healed.

I just highly caution everyone out there to share this information with their doctor if their baby is going to be having a procedure!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
What a difference a day makes in the condition of your baby. Thank goodness vets are all over this and again thanks for logging/sharing. Hoping healing starts NOW!!

Patti

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@assibassi it doesn't seem to hurt (from what I can tell) but it does seem to be getting itchy!
And of course stopping a cat from licking and nibbling on something that itches is almost impossible! She has never worn a shirt and I tried putting one on her yesterday; :wideyed:. It did not go well.
I don't want to stress her out anymore but if she is going to keep trying to nibble at it, she's going to have to ware one! :sorry:

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh my gosh - poor Elfie!!!
Dex and Gemma send their hugs :)
Thanks for the info - never knew something like that could happen.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you so much for this info. I am sad that it has happened to your girl. Thinking of you both

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have been very distracted at work all day; I've spent most of my day trying to hunt down anything I can online about this and I cant find anything helpful!

There is a disturbing lack of information! It's incredibly frustrating! :banghead:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Poor Queen Elfie and poor you! All the things she has to go through:grumpy:. On the photo it looks like getting worse but maybe the spots are "drying"?

I searched on Dutch internet sides but also here there is a disturbing lack of information about this problem:rage:.

I hope the spots will heal soon! Hugs from the boys and me

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yikes! I hope they don't get much worse before they get better! So glad your vet is helping out by not charging for any visits to treat. Do keep us updated!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know I'm a bit of a worry wort but honestly!

I'm heading back to the vets with Elfie tomorrow!

It's starting to spread out and it's turning a nasty colour!
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm freaking out guys!!!

Sphynx Asylum Dad

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh the poor baby!!!! It looks pretty bad, but I know the wound healing process often gets pretty ugly before it starts looking any better. I'd bet Elfie is on the road to healing, but as long as the vet agrees to keep checking progress- that helps YOUR sanity and I say take her in!!! I hope they tell you it's actually healing fine, and she's doing great (under the circumstances). We are sending healing hugs and purrs along with hope for a speedy recovery!!!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Toa and Ross thank you for checking up on us!
This is her 3rd day off the pain meds from her dental surgery and now that there is nothing dulling the feeling in her back she is trying to chew at the spots.

I'm going to be measuring her for a tee shirt tonight when I get home, I need something will fit her well while she is going through all of this.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@MelissaAlice : oh that's not such a good thing if she's trying to chew at her spots. I saw some photos her from sphynx who were wearing socks like a t shirt. It fits tight around the body. Maybe that works for Elfie?
Cuddles from Toa and Ross!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You will feel better just getting reassurance from your vet. It does look darker hopefully it is part of the healing/scanning process. Positive vibes keep going your way.

Patti

Back