Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Elliot has an upper respiratory infection :(

ShadyLaine

Lairian
So two days after having my baby home, he starts sneezing. Now his nose is clogged, and he's on Clavamox. It's been about 4 days since I started treating and while his eyes look better and he no longer sounds like darth vader, he's still a little sneezy and not eating as well as I'd like. He won't touch his wet food, unless I warm it up and water it down, and even then I have to spoon feed him.

Have other members treated URI's with clavamox? Does anyone know how long it'll take for it to resolve the infection? I've had cats with URI's before nad it never took this long, but i've never had a kitten with one.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to eat more on his own? He'll pick at his Orijen kibble, but I have to spoonfeed him watered down, heated up wet food. He's lost a little weight. he was 1.3kg and now he's 1.15kg.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Bella07

Banned
I've fostered young kittens before for the shelter, and when they come to me with URI's, it usually clears up in 1 week, 2 weeks if it is extremely serious. If after 2 weeks the kitten still seems to be sick, I'll take them to the vet.

So, since it's only been 4 days, and he already seems to be showing improvement, then I would relax and give it a few more days. As to the food, I'll usually force feed the kittens if they refuse to eat, for their sake. But, usually they'll be chomping down once they feel better. Elliot should be healthy in no time. Good Luck!

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't have any sick kitten experience, but I hope your baby gets well soon

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My vet used to use Clavamox but she calls it crap now and uses Doxy or Clinda Drops.
I have had sick kittens and the vet gives Doxy now instead of the Clavamox.

ShadyLaine

Lairian
I would agree with the use of Clindamycin, but Tetracyclines can cause bone deformation and tooth discoloration in small kittens... At least that's what it says in my textbooks and what I was taught in Vet Tech school..

Gizzymom

Banned
I'm sorry your new baby is sick... I cannot give you any advice on that, but I hope he / she gets better soon.

When I first got Gizmo as a kitten, he would not eat either (and also got a URI), I fed him nutri-cal for a few days to a week. He loved it... and the high calorie supplement kept him nourished until he was feeling better... Not sure how other people feel about this product, though...

ktate88

Banned
I would agree with the use of Clindamycin, but Tetracyclines can cause bone deformation and tooth discoloration in small kittens... At least that's what it says in my textbooks and what I was taught in Vet Tech school..

Agree and I too would avoid. Niles' deciduous teeth are stained from his mom being treated with doxy while pregnant. :Sad: I'm hoping his adult teeth come in pearly white.

My experience with Niles...
Flew him home on the plane with me from Pennslyvania to Florida Saturday. Started sneezing when we went outside the airport in FL. Started him on Lysine noon Sunday. Added in Wei Qi Booster(chinese immune boooster) Monday PM. Boogers and eye boogers began Monday AM. We didn't vaccinate him for about ~2 weeks as he had 2 swollen groin lymphnodes, then a 3rd popped up on his right flank 5 days after being here. His CBC came back great, and a second FIV/FeLk was also clear-- WHEW!

I kept him on lysine and booster BID for 3 weeks, 1 week post vaccine just to be safe.

He was raspy when purring sometimes, some wet sneezes, and as I describe as "snarffly."

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No one ever told me that about the doxy.
Maybe that is why Wrinkles teeth look stained.

Oh no! I hope he gets better soon! Poor baby! I know when Gable had URI they gave him Clavamox and he was better in no time, but he never had any issues eating.

I know breeder was feeding him raw as well as kibble. Do you think this could be why he is preferring it wet and watered down?

How does he seem otherwise? How is his energy levels all things considered?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wrinkles is only 1 and it is her 2 canine teeth that are discolored.

Gizzymom

Banned
Wrinkles is only 1 and it is her 2 canine teeth that are discolored.

Same with Gizzy (canines get discolored). I didn't wrinkles was such a baby still....I started with Gizmo's teeth cleanings when he was two. I'm not sure if it is true, but I heard that bad teeth is another common thing is sphynxes... like heart problems, digestive problems, and frequent infections...

ShadyLaine

Lairian
Oh - He's playing fine and drinking water, and he loved the wet food before he got sick. Used to wolf it down. Cats don't tend to like food if they can't smell it. Heating it up makes it smell stronger and entices them to eat it when their noses are clogged. Watering it down makes it easier to eat when they're also breathing through their mouth to compensate for the stuffy nose. That's why I heated and watered it down.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My bronxe has a very poor immune system. He suffers from URI's a few times a year. They are always treated by Clavamox. I personally really like the medicine and have always had good results from it.
My Winny got a pretty bad URI from the transition of coming from her old home to our home. The dr believes it was stressed induced. The dr originally perscribed Clindamycin, however, after about 4 days on the medicine i did not like the results. I wouldn't choose to give it to my cats again. Winny lost her voice and didnt seem better off on it.- but that's just my opinion. i don't bred cats or know as much as many people on the site... that's just my opinion as an owner.

I hope Elliot feels better soon.

Oh - He's playing fine and drinking water, and he loved the wet food before he got sick. Used to wolf it down. Cats don't tend to like food if they can't smell it. Heating it up makes it smell stronger and entices them to eat it when their noses are clogged. Watering it down makes it easier to eat when they're also breathing through their mouth to compensate for the stuffy nose. That's why I heated and watered it down.

Glad to hear he is still playing and drinking! And makes sense about the food and smell. Didnt even think about that and trying to eat when he is stuffy!

If I don't put liver powder or Parmesan cheese on Gable 'sraw he wont eat it, beacause it doesnt stink...LOL. Amaryllis will eat it but she will eat just about anything.

Poor little guy. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I've used Clavamox in the past. I noticed small results with 24 hrs and larger results within 4 to 5 days. I hope your kitty is back to his old self in no time!!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've noticed improvements with Clavamox within a day or two and really significant improvements within 4-5 days. I'd recommend continuing as you are and see how it goes for a few more days. Hope Elliot is back to his old self soon.

ShadyLaine

Lairian
I am please to report that Elliot has decided to eat like he's never seen food before. This morning he finally wolfed down half a can of P/D mixed with kibble, and just did so again this evening. I think his nose is clearing up! Thanks everyone, for the support!

Yay Elliot!! I am so glad to hear he is feeling better and eating well!!! I was hoping to read a positive update on him today! Give him a big hug for me!