Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Emma Leight Is Heading To The Vet...

MyCatGoesNekkid

Lairian
I don't want anything to ever happen to my little Emma Leigh. She is just such a huge part of our family now. Courtney relies on her when I can't be there. I rely on her for some special attention at times myself. She is very much loved, as is all our felines.

I just don't want to ever see anything bad happen to any kitty. They are so special and bring so much joy (even when we are yelling at them for not using the litter box or for knocking something over), I cannot imagine our lives without all of them.

I'm saying my prayers for my little Emma, and if you are the praying type, please say one for her as well (and Courtney). I have faith that all will be well because Emma is a trooper. Either way, we will giver her nothing short of the best care ever. She is our baby, and will always be one of our babies (can't leave out the fur babies now can I?).

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I don't want anything to ever happen to my little Emma Leigh. She is just such a huge part of our family now. Courtney relies on her when I can't be there. I rely on her for some special attention at times myself. She is very much loved, as is all our felines.

I just don't want to ever see anything bad happen to any kitty. They are so special and bring so much joy (even when we are yelling at them for not using the litter box or for knocking something over), I cannot imagine our lives without all of them.

I'm saying my prayers for my little Emma, and if you are the praying type, please say one for her as well (and Courtney). I have faith that all will be well because Emma is a trooper. Either way, we will giver her nothing short of the best care ever. She is our baby, and will always be one of our babies (can't leave out the fur babies now can I?).
I am so happy to see the support you are giving to your loved ones :) Just knowing you are writing to The Lair has to mean the world to Courtney. We all care so much about each and every baby on here and that extends to the families behind them. I have a good/solid feeling things are going to turn out good. Today was just a lot to absorb...I know heart ache and worry are draining, you guys are handling this well in not rushing to conclusions and are educating yourselves. A murmur can simply be just a murmur like our boy for 10 years. It is so nice to see a "family" on here. Truly I have good vibes and will send positive thoughts your way :)

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm back home from the vet...they examined her tooth and gums and said they didn't see anything swollen but went ahead and gave her some Clavamox Drops 15ml. and Buprenorphone .3mg for pain.

The thing that caught me off guard was that the vet (my normal vet is out) said she heard a heart murmur and that we needed to get a EKG done on her. She said the technician who does them was on site today, so we could get it done, but I wanted to get some more info before jumping into it. They said the cost was 400 for the EKG and I would just leave her there. I asked if I could be present for the test and they said that it would cost 550 if I wanted to be there...that seemed extremely odd to me.

Anyone ever hear of the price jumping up 150 dollars if you are present for an EKG on your pet?

Anyone know of a discounted vet in the Houston area that does EKG testing?

I do like my regular vet a lot and she has never put me in the wrong direction at all and I feel very comfortable with her, but all of a sudden this new vet wants me to drop almost 600 dollars when I came in for a sore tooth :Cry:

I'm at a loss and any advice would be greatly appreciated....
Ok, I have NEVER heard of a vet's price jumping up because you want to be present for a procedure. What is up with that? I don't like this, it angers me. It's all bull!
Did this new vet make sure that nothing was wrong neurologically? I wish that you can see your regular vet. Complain about your visit with this new vet and tell them you are not paying twice to have your baby checked out again by the vet you like.
I hope that nothing is wrong and I hope that she feels better asap. You too, I understand how you were freaking out. I would freak out too.
And I DO LOVE those side-mouth kisses very, very much. Yummy! :Wink2:

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So last night again, in bed with Emma and I notice she has a lump under her left ear (the same side that has been bugging her). The vet didn't even mention this lump at all. I got online and they said it could be an abscess, an infected salava gland, etc. So in about an hour, I will be back on the phone with the vet to discuss. I will be screaming if they expect me to pay another vet visit on something they missed yesterday :Furious:

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Lets hope you found the cause!
I gave her the pain meds this morning and Mark will be giving her the antibiotics when he gets home in a few hours. I'm praying that the meds they gave her are the correct meds to treat what is going on :Sad:

Yesterday she said she didn't feel anything and that they would treat for dential diease becase of her tartar.

I swear, I'm seeing spots I'm so mad right now :Cry:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So last night again, in bed with Emma and I notice she has a lump under her left ear (the same side that has been bugging her). The vet didn't even mention this lump at all. I got online and they said it could be an abscess, an infected salava gland, etc. So in about an hour, I will be back on the phone with the vet to discuss. I will be screaming if they expect me to pay another vet visit on something they missed yesterday :Furious:
Good for you that you will be screaming IF they expect you to pay another vet visit. Stand up for yourself, Girl! If you paid by credit card, I'd backcharge it!

I hope and pray that Emma has nothing more than something simple to fix. Poor baby and poor mommy. I feel for you both.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I gave her the pain meds this morning and Mark will be giving her the antibiotics when he gets home in a few hours. I'm praying that the meds they gave her are the correct meds to treat what is going on :Sad:

Yesterday she said she didn't feel anything and that they would treat for dential diease becase of her tartar.

I swear, I'm seeing spots I'm so mad right now :Cry:
You have every right to be upset. If it is an abscess, I would think the antibiotic can only help! I hope they get you into the vet first thing this morning. You know we will again be looking for updates.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If they like to keep making mistakes, I have no problem going back to our old vet.
I do like Dr. Brown, but she is out so I had to go to this other one. But I agree, we may be heading back to OTAH if they don't make this right.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You have every right to be upset. If it is an abscess, I would think the antibiotic can only help! I hope they get you into the vet first thing this morning. You know we will again be looking for updates.
Thanks so much!

31 more minutes and I will be on the phone with them...

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Got Emma scheduled today at 5pm with her regular vet. Explained everything to the lady on the phone and she said she understood and they would have no issues waiving the visit fee for Emma to come back for a recheck.

I guess when I bursted into tears on the phone, she knew she had to do something. I've never had a cat get me so freaking emotional :Sad:

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh noes! I hope Emma feels better soon and the murmur was just stress related... I think you will feel better after talking to your regular vet about the EKG situation, sounds weird to me.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Got Emma scheduled today at 5pm with her regular vet. Explained everything to the lady on the phone and she said she understood and they would have no issues waiving the visit fee for Emma to come back for a recheck.

I guess when I bursted into tears on the phone, she knew she had to do something. I've never had a cat get me so freaking emotional :Sad:
Oh hang in there. Sending you a big hug. At least she will get in before the weekend, will see her regular vet and the visit is waived! Now you can see what is really happening and feel less stressed.

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Auntie Court, thats a-cause yooz never has a cat like mah beloved Emma Leigh befores!!!!
Please tells her that Tishy and I are wanting her to get well very soon.
I send headbutts and purrs. Tishy sends nose in the ear, hers not too goods at the headbutts yet, and purrs!!!!
We also sends yooz and Uncle Mark and all the fur-herd extra lovings as well.
Ma says to sends yooz hugs but thats a silly hooman thing so those are from ma!
Emma Leigh, yooz being sickies are a royal SUCK!!!!!!
Love frum, Elvy-vira

Nefertari

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor Emma, i hope she feels better soon!
The 150$ is ridiculous, how terrible to charge people to join their pet in scans! They put a bloody price on everything now-a-days :Angry:

I'm glad they didn't charge you for the visit after missing a lump they clearly should of seen!
Will be keeping you and Emma in my thoughts today - Lots of headbutts and purrs from my Trio!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

These are NOT regular cats. I always thought I used to love my hairy cats, but not until I got my first sphynx 13 months ago! Now I have three sphynx boys and I have never known love of a "cat" before the breed came into my life! I love these three boys more than I can explain in words. I'd have to show you my heart for you to know. But wait, you do know, you have Emma! :Wink2:
Try not to be so frazzled. Wait until you go back to the vet and see what she says.
I'm so glad that the vet's office didn't give you a hard time on the phone and said that they would waive the vet fee for today.
If the vet wants to have Emma on an antibiotic, please keep in mind and let your vet know that Clavamox isn't a good choice for a sphynx. One of the medications in Clavamox is Amoxicillin and the sphynx doesn't respond very well to that drug. It won't hurt them, BUT it won't help them very much. It would just take much longer for a sphynx to get better if they really need a good antibiotic.
Zithromycin is the much better choice for things like URI's, but I don't know if that would take care of any other type of infection. That you'd have to ask the vet.

muddpuddles01

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was thinking abscess when we talked the other night. Antibiotics can only help her until you can get her in to be treated! Things will be fine! Glad they waived the fee. Don't let them jerk you around, hon! Hugs!

tkmaune

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
About a year ago is when Orphious got that abcess on his cheek and he had to get surgery. That's a scary thing. I hope that it isn't an abcess for her sake because I know it's painful. Hang in there and give her tons of cuddles. If you notice the bump get a little scab (looks kind of like a bug bite) take her ASAP to the vet. Because if it is an abcess you don't want it to get in her blood stream because it can be deadly. I'm praying for you miss Emma and I only hope for the best for you.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks everyone, 5pm can't get here quick enough - UGH

susi794

Staff member
I just got back from my sister's house asm I had to go to the hospital yesterday with horrific chest pains and got super doped up and sent home with a localized pneumonia behind my heart. I thought I was having a heart attack. Anyway, I stayed with my sister last night because I couldn't take care of myself. I am sorry to hear Emma has to get scanned but glad to hear you have insurance. I love that little girl like crazy and am praying she is going to be ok. The drooling sisn't scare me so much, but hearing there was weakness on one side did when I read that. I"m praying for you, Emma!
Love,
Susi