Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Enlarged Heart (cardiomegaly) can’t stop crying

VinnyBambino

Lairian
So I just got my bambino Vinny on oct 18.. he was born July 1. Since the day I got him I noticed wheezing and so today when I took him to the vet, they did chest x-Ray and found he has an abnormal enlarged heart.. I have attached the photo of the radiology report.. I am devastated I can’t stop crying. They want to send him to a cardiologist for further examination.. has anyone dealt with anything similar? Is this normal in Sphynx cats? I told the breeder she is just as heartbroken as me I’m just waiting for her call right now..

Attachments

• 4D60B7C7-85A8-4765-BBD4-C755356942D9.png
    4D60B7C7-85A8-4765-BBD4-C755356942D9.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 59

Yoda mom

Staff member
@VinnyBambino ((((squeeze hugs)))) we are here for you and Vinny... please let us know how the breeder responds.. not sure what is in your contract or if the breeder would pay for the cardio exam?

sadly many of us have kitties with heart issues... keep in mind many live long lives into double digits. Each kitty is different and follow is often suggested.

Tagging @Catzzzmeow and all who have dealt with heart issues for their support and input.... know we are here for you... I know personally the initial shock is heartbreaking to be told.
I took a deep breath and followed my vets instructions and medications if necessary... I am glad you reached out to the breeder.
Do you know if the sire and dam were HCM scanned?

I am not personally familiar with Bambino specific heart issues . we do have several sphynx and bambino mums n dads that certainly will chime in...

please please know we are here for you ... gentle head smooches to Vinny... I know he has stolen your heart and you love him dearly.

following closely for updates (((((hugs)))))))) n head smooches...

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am so sorry. Heart issues have become more common in the breed and even reputable breeders are not immune these days as they seek to expand bloodlines and avoid inbreeding. Your baby is very young to have these issues...hoping your breeder continues to support you....know we will always be here for you as well. I know it is overwhelming. Your contract will hopefully help and know all we can do is just love them...that is all they care about and know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lunaclaire

Lairian
Sending you so much care. It’s the most painful thing to hear — the worst day for me. I am thinking of you both. An echo will reveal more and many medications are very helpful for this. Take good care and enjoy the sweet moments.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear about Vinny's health issue. Hope the breeder will support you so you can both ensure Vinny gets the health care he needs.
Sending lots of positive vibes.

VinnyBambino

Lairian
Thank you everyone for all your love and support. It was shattering news to hear, but since I have digested and the breeder and I are working together. I went into the vet today to get a breakdown of what she thinks and she said she 90% thinks it’s HCM and the heart rate and breathing are triple what they should be, and the cat she saw in front of her yesterday was not a comfortable cat and needs to be on a lot of medication or euthanized. I broke down. I called the breeder and told her the info and she said she wants me to bring Vinny to her and she will do everything on her end to get him the care he needs, and she will in turn give me a 9 month old female kitten named Lily that she was planning on using for breeding (she has had plenty of heart scans she is very healthy and she is her whole heart and world)..

So that is what I’ve decided to do.. I can’t continue to get attached to Vinny just to have him ripped away from me. I’m so heartbroken

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@VinnyBambino I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this. I pray that your breeder will be able to give Vinny the best care and make the right decisions for your sweet boy. I know it must've been extremely hard to make the decision to bring him back.

However, I'm very excited to meet your new baby Lily. When do you get to meet her/bring her home?

It seems like you have a great breeder. I hope she keeps you posted on Vinny while in her care.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am so happy you are finding your way through such a difficult time. Your breeder is trying to help do right by your heart and above all the kitten. Lily will help heal your heart and you might just feel a different name is in order for her that calls to you and helps you start a new chapter. Hugs are sent to you and know we’re are here for you. Oh and keep sharing...the beat goes on is what I always say. @VinnyBambino

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
Goodness that is just awful news. I’m sorry. Did the breeder say if she was going to keep him and give him treatment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That is so sad, I am sorry. Thank goodness you have a good breeder who is trying to make things right with you and take care of the difficult road ahead for Vinny. I hope sweet Lily can help you heal.

Yoda mom

Staff member
((((((hugs))))))) for your heartfelt decision to do right by Vinny... that is true unconditional love to do right by him.

thank you to the breeder doing right by you and sweet Vinny...

Lily most certainly is a special girl ....

Back