Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Enlarged heart.

Toots182

Lairian
Hi everyone. I got the devastating news my baby had a enlarged heart yesterday. I have absolutely no idea what to do. He's not been put on anything yet as the vet was going to phone me back after he had looked some things up.
I'm trying not to freak out but I would just like to know if anyone else has dealt with this before? and could guide me on symptoms of it him getting worse or how long cats have went on to live with this condition?

Thanks everyone.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm very sorry to hear this. It just all depends on the individual cat and how enlarged the heart is and if there are other complications going on.
There are good medications that can help treat and give quality to his life.
Hugs and hope you can find a treatment schedule that will help him out.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm sorry to hear this. I can't help you.
But, I sure can pray something can be done.
Please keep us updated.

Yoda mom

Staff member
(((Hugs))) a lair full of positve vibes for your baby and with early detection can manage a quality of life -
We have seen many kitties with heart stuff live long healthy lives -
All paws crossed for positive updates
Keep us updated often

U

user123

Hi everyone. I got the devastating news my baby had a enlarged heart yesterday. I have absolutely no idea what to do. He's not been put on anything yet as the vet was going to phone me back after he had looked some things up.
I'm trying not to freak out but I would just like to know if anyone else has dealt with this before? and could guide me on symptoms of it him getting worse or how long cats have went on to live with this condition?

Thanks everyone.

I am so sorry to hear of the diagnosis. I lost my Sphynx to what I believe was HCM, but I will never know for sure. I posted a long story all about it all in an Intro thread. She went playful and active one day, to subtly napping more, then refused a meal, lost control of her back legs, let out some horrible sounding gasp noises, and then she was gone. It happened very fast. I did tons of research on cat health and found that this heart condition is hereditary, but also high carb diets and not enough taurine contribute significantly to whether or not the cat will develop the disease at all. I have taken in a new naked one and she is on commercially prepared raw which I spike with L-Lysine and Taurine in the hopes she will never develop any illness. Both of these amino acids are non toxic to cats, so you can't OD them on it. I am big on nutrition, and believe this is a good place to start in slowing down the progression of the disease. I hope this helps.