Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Environmental stimulation

Cinderstar95

Lairian
Hello all,
Just a question for you all. What do you do to make your home more entertaining for your sphynx? I am looking for any and all ideas as I have a students budget and a students life, but am also owned by an adorable little girl who stole my heart.
I want to make her life as entertaining as possible, but for the next few months, she must live in my room when I am not home for shes learned the front door means outside and has tried to make several freedom breaks already. I fear my roommate will let her out by accident if she makes a another dash for the great outdoors. Don't worry, I let her have the run of the apartment when I'm home to watch for her safety and for the safety of my rented couch.
I am moving out when my lease is up in a few months to an apartment that is much more cat friendly but until then, my girl is stuck in my room. I've given her plenty of toys, she has a window sill to perch on, several soft blankets to sleep in and my bed to lounge in as well as her new crinkle tunnel and a little cat napping cove. And of course my shower curtain is always present for an assault.
Is there anything anyone else does to keep their baby entertained when they not home?
Thanks all!

kdmotter

Lairian
I use old socks-you know, the ones that lost their mate to the dryer trolls-and stuff them with some catnip. Tie the top and it's great play for hours if she likes the nip. Mine also really loves to have the cheap little mice to bat around. Kittens (unfortunately for all of my cords and wires) are easily amused!

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Do you by chance have an ensuite bathroom in your bedroom?

You could get one of these to hang in the door frame

^ I got one of those for Pete for Christmas and my gosh its so funny to watch him play with! and the best
thing about it is it doesnt require putting holes in your walls or anything, each end has a rubber stopper thing
and you just mount it on each side of the door frame/trim
...The best $5 I spent lately, haha.

If not you could always prop a wand toy like "da bird" up high some where in your room so its hanging so your
kitteh can interact with it.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You could always do one of those climber/scratchers that attaches to the back of a door. Smart move keeping her in the room when you are gone. I would be so paranoid that my roomate would let her out by accident

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Great advice already given. I only wanted to add that your girl probably will sleep the most of the time you're not at home and she's in your room. So I wouldn't worry to much about her being in a small room. Sounds like she has lots of things to play with and if you add some of the things adviced she'll have more then enough to play with at the moments she's awake. She has a wonderful mommy!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
41aZYk7DSOL.jpg

This thing pulls a string all the time.
Don't know if it's any good, or if your cat would like it (Pixie would just stare at it)
I find they sleep most of the day, anyway. And they never play with anything you'd think they'd play with. It's always stuff like cardboard boxes and paper bags lol Ping pong balls, those Kinder Egg things (The bit the toy comes in. Put a treat or a little rock inside so it rattles -- and off they go)
Oh hell, I've just looked up Kinder Surprise Eggs and it appears they are banned in the US! (What a load of nonsense!!)
Well, if anyone wants the inside capsule (which seals up really tight) let me know. I get the eggs sometimes, so I tend to have spare yellow capsules lol.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Silke we have the toy pictured and all have loved it. It has 2 speeds and even on the fastest speed ours get it and pull the whole thing from the door lol. I have to hide it in the closet when not in use. Haven't broken it out with the kitten yet, maybe this weekend.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cinderstar95 "The smart cat climber "around $60) online is great for up and down zoomies amd meet n greet training with treats not to bolt out door
( has built in scratcher material too)
They run to this first thing in the morning and when I come home for kisses n treats
Definitely one of my best "sphynx stuff " purchase
I used the box it came in as a prop to in to put it together on my dining room table
Just be sure to put ends on correctly amd watch the youtube Assembly video
image.jpeg

Ping pong balls , paper bags with edge folded back
Frolicat laser bolt (** but only stays on for 15 minutes but nice to turn on when leaving :))
FroliCat Bolt Interactive Laser Pet Toy - Chewy.com
I also got a few of the cat dancers I put on door knobs or stick out of dresser drawer when I leave.
I like it has a wire instead of string fro when I am not home.
I add a furry rattle mouse to one end
Cat Dancer Original Cat Toy - Chewy.com

Last edited:

aldrachi

Lairian
One of mine REALLY loves a turbo scratcher I got him (one with a cardboard scratch pad in the middle and a ball in a track around it) They're about $12 on Amazon and well worth the money if your cat likes to chase things- he plays with in on his own. The downside is that it's a little noisy if you're a light sleeper (lol).

Even my old cranky man who doesn't like toys likes to use it as a scratcher. Solas was crying DISTRESSED this morning because I had a shirt over it and he couldn't roll the ball. I moved that, and he was playing for a good 15-20 mins.

Cinderstar95

Lairian
Thank you for all your suggestions. I have purchased a few items suggested and they are winners. The doorframe toy is great, she leaps for it and plays until she gets the little bird stuck somewhere and I have to get it for her. She is quite happy.
Thank you all!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Any boxes that come into our home get used as "cat toys" for a while (until I recycle them). They also love the paper packing material. We also have lots of cat trees, a door frame climber and have cleared the top of our cabinets so they can run around up high.

Back