Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Epic Saga of the Snotty Boogers

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
As some of you members might remember, I have done a couple of posts in the past about Cleopatra SoftPaws suffering from green snotty boogers, sneezing, and choking on the mucus that goes down her throat instead of her nose.

1. Gotcha day, since then she has been exhibiting these symptoms. Within he first week of having her I took her to the vet to have this looked at. Was given doxycycline at half dose because she was 4 months.

2. Doxycycline helped a little but not really. Took her back two weeks later, her dose was doubled and go for 4 weeks.

3. Didn't work so I took her back to the vet. We discussed getting her a scope under anesthetisc but I thought she was too young so I spent a good day trying to collect a good booger sample. Results were pasteurella bacteria. Got given 1 week of small dose of moxycilin, like penecillin, then at second week mark double dose for six weeks.

4. Six weeks later, still sick. Her boogers went clear about week 4 then came back to yellowish. Took back to vet to get scope surgery last week. She is 9 months old.

5. Scope results and biopsy, nothing exciting except really eroded nasal-pharangal membrane and same bacteria pasteurella.

Vet has concluded possible chronic rhinitis and a management plan. Going back on moxycilin and at a week an anti-inflammatory injection. Suggested maybe later something might develop, so another scope in 2 months. I said maybe in a bit longer because I can't afford another 1200 dollars.

Has anyone experienced this rhinitis or this bacteria?? What about nasal erosion??

I just feel so upset for my poor kitty, I know what it is like to live with chronic illness.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh man, I feel for you... I have horrible chronic bacterial sinus infections too. That is a pricey vet bill to have too. Is there a steroid nasal spray or something that they can use to help? And they are sure there is no fungal cause to it?

I assume the vet has talked about other things that may contribute to it, including clay litter, smoke, and dental issues?

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh man, I feel for you... I have horrible chronic bacterial sinus infections too. That is a pricey vet bill to have too. Is there a steroid nasal spray or something that they can use to help? And they are sure there is no fungal cause to it?

I assume the vet has talked about other things that may contribute to it, including clay litter, smoke, and dental issues?
Thanks for your reply, I don't use clay, no one smokes and her teeth are in good condition. I am not sure about nasal spray, I will ask. The injection in a week will be steroids probs so will see if she responds and whether a nasal spray will be effective.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Oh and negative on the fungal. Both lab tests of biopsy and boogers were clear

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm so sorry she is still flinging boogers around, I really hope you'll find something to alleviate the symptoms. This is not fun for anyone, poor baby and poor you :(

pussiette

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
As some of you members might remember, I have done a couple of posts in the past about Cleopatra SoftPaws suffering from green snotty boogers, sneezing, and choking on the mucus that goes down her throat instead of her nose.

1. Gotcha day, since then she has been exhibiting these symptoms. Within he first week of having her I took her to the vet to have this looked at. Was given doxycycline at half dose because she was 4 months.

2. Doxycycline helped a little but not really. Took her back two weeks later, her dose was doubled and go for 4 weeks.

3. Didn't work so I took her back to the vet. We discussed getting her a scope under anesthetisc but I thought she was too young so I spent a good day trying to collect a good booger sample. Results were pasteurella bacteria. Got given 1 week of small dose of moxycilin, like penecillin, then at second week mark double dose for six weeks.

4. Six weeks later, still sick. Her boogers went clear about week 4 then came back to yellowish. Took back to vet to get scope surgery last week. She is 9 months old.

5. Scope results and biopsy, nothing exciting except really eroded nasal-pharangal membrane and same bacteria pasteurella.

Vet has concluded possible chronic rhinitis and a management plan. Going back on moxycilin and at a week an anti-inflammatory injection. Suggested maybe later something might develop, so another scope in 2 months. I said maybe in a bit longer because I can't afford another 1200 dollars.

Has anyone experienced this rhinitis or this bacteria?? What about nasal erosion??

I just feel so upset for my poor kitty, I know what it is like to live with chronic illness.
Sorry about your little one get well kisses is this from cat flu because similar issues including the eyes were seen on some visits to catteries is this complicated uri ? Contagious ? Maybe caught from other kitties?

Retro Kitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:-(
I know someone going through something similar right now. I posted a thread the other day about chronic sneezing hoping someone might think of something she hasn’t tried. If she figures anything out with her baby I’ll let you know!

pussiette

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Had another thought rhinitis is from pollen sometimes or airborne allergens.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sorry about your little one get well kisses is this from cat flu because similar issues including the eyes were seen on some visits to catteries is this complicated uri ? Contagious ? Maybe caught from other kitties?
The thing is, most uri respond to treatment. The pasteurella bacteria is really common, all cats have it. The difference is cleopatra's mucus tissues are really eroded and the pasteurella is way overgrown and making the booger infection.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:-(
I know someone going through something similar right now. I posted a thread the other day about chronic sneezing hoping someone might think of something she hasn’t tried. If she figures anything out with her baby I’ll let you know!
That would be really good

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

May I suggest your vet takes her off of the antibiotics she's been on and put her on Simplicef along with a probiotic. Keep her on it for at least two weeks and be patient. You can also try Tobramycin eye drops which will come down through the nostrils twice a day or any other nasal spray your vet may think is better. The pasteurella will go away with the Simplicef. Two weeks is how long it will take for the pasteurella to go away on this antibiotic. Her symptoms may take at least that long to go away. You can keep her on it longer, just give her probiotics each day.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
May I suggest your vet takes her off of the antibiotics she's been on and put her on Simplicef along with a probiotic. Keep her on it for at least two weeks and be patient. You can also try Tobramycin eye drops which will come down through the nostrils twice a day or any other nasal spray your vet may think is better. The pasteurella will go away with the Simplicef. Two weeks is how long it will take for the pasteurella to go away on this antibiotic. Her symptoms may take at least that long to go away. You can keep her on it longer, just give her probiotics each day.
I have a few questions.
What makes you reccomend Simplicef over the moxycilin ?? They are both types of penecillin based pills.

Why do you reccomend a probiotic, and what type of probiotic?? Humans have all kinds, so is there many types for cats??

As for the tobramycin, would that treat the pasteurella instead??

Have you had experience with these products?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have a few questions.
What makes you reccomend Simplicef over the moxycilin ?? They are both types of penecillin based pills.

Why do you reccomend a probiotic, and what type of probiotic?? Humans have all kinds, so is there many types for cats??

As for the tobramycin, would that treat the pasteurella instead??

Have you had experience with these products?
I experienced the same bacteria and had the mucous cultured through the nasal passage, no anesthesia. Pasteurella was the only bacteria that came back and the Simplicef came back as a highly effective antibiotic to treat this bacteria. Needed to be taken for AT LEAST two weeks, but two weeks would kill the bacteria. You don't have to worry about toys or anything being contaminated by this bacteria.
Simplicef is is a cephalosporin type antibiotic, not a penicillin itself. It is in the same drug class as penicillin, but they are different except if someone is allergic to penicillin, they wouldn't be able to take a cephalosporin type antibiotic.
Fortiflora is the probiotic that I bought while my sphynx was on the antibiotic. I got it from my vet. Antibiotics kill good bacteria in the gut and a probiotic puts back the good bacteria that is needed in the gut. Sphynx have enough stomach issues, a probiotic would certainly be beneficial during antibiotic treatment. It also helps prevent yeast infections in the body. You don't want to treat one problem and cause another.
No, the Tobramycin will not treat the pasteurella. It's what I have in the house and I used it to help with runny eyes, etc.

I think I answered all of your questions. It's late and I can't see straight, so if you have any questions that I haven't addressed, please let me know. :)
It's actually disturbing to me how long your baby has been on antibiotics and still having issues.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I experienced the same bacteria and had the mucous cultured through the nasal passage, no anesthesia. Pasteurella was the only bacteria that came back and the Simplicef came back as a highly effective antibiotic to treat this bacteria. Needed to be taken for AT LEAST two weeks, but two weeks would kill the bacteria. You don't have to worry about toys or anything being contaminated by this bacteria.
Simplicef is is a cephalosporin type antibiotic, not a penicillin itself. It is in the same drug class as penicillin, but they are different except if someone is allergic to penicillin, they wouldn't be able to take a cephalosporin type antibiotic.
Fortiflora is the probiotic that I bought while my sphynx was on the antibiotic. I got it from my vet. Antibiotics kill good bacteria in the gut and a probiotic puts back the good bacteria that is needed in the gut. Sphynx have enough stomach issues, a probiotic would certainly be beneficial during antibiotic treatment. It also helps prevent yeast infections in the body. You don't want to treat one problem and cause another.
No, the Tobramycin will not treat the pasteurella. It's what I have in the house and I used it to help with runny eyes, etc.

I think I answered all of your questions. It's late and I can't see straight, so if you have any questions that I haven't addressed, please let me know. :)
It's actually disturbing to me how long your baby has been on antibiotics and still having issues.
Yes it really disturbs me also how long she has been on them, that's why I got the scope at the vets reccomendation. I will definately bring it up at my next appointment, it's in about a week.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes it really disturbs me also how long she has been on them, that's why I got the scope at the vets reccomendation. I will definately bring it up at my next appointment, it's in about a week.
I wish you luck helping your baby. :) Keep me up-to-date after your vet appt. please.

pussiette

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Good luck xx

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Update: I did not take her back to the vet.
Why???
I am just sick of the stress it must cause her. After her scope her neck glands were really up, so I have just been continuing with the moxycilin. At least it reduces her boogers to the point where she isn't choking on them.

So I did not get her an antiinflammitary injection, and I couldn't ask about Simplicef.

I am attempting the natural route this time, have spent too much on ineffective vet treatments.

I read around on the Internet about chronic rhinitis, one place reccomended saline spray or drops. I got some saline spray Little Noses its for babies. It has been helping to dislodge mucus if it gets thick. Have been putting it up her nose about once a day. She doesn't like it but tolerates it. It has been helping her breathe better.

Today I have just received in the post my second thing, PROBIOTICS!!!! No I didn't get Fortiflora as it isn't very available in Australia. I got Protexin

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Protexin http://www.iahp.com.au/australia/protexin/protexin-soluble
I can't use it while on the moxycilin so I am having a trial,
Protexin and Lysine for a week. I am seeing if it can boost her immunity and health. Then if she starts getting really bad I might have to put her back on the moxycilin. I will see what happens with this, maybe 1 week probiotic then 1week antibiotic. I am trying to build up her system. Then later I think I will ask about Simplicef. But the vet says if it is rhinitis it's going to be chronically coming back anyway. so maybe even Simplicef might not fix it.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wondering the same thing. Was thinking of this last night.