Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Escaping

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Any ideas or suggestions on how to keep Charlie from constantly escaping outside? He’s out the door before I can even blink, and that’s with me being really careful and watching for him! He’s even taught himself how to open the back porch door, so now I have to latch lock it all the time, which is a huge pain, since you can’t unlock from outside!
I am getting desperate, as I’m so worried for his safety. Do they make shock collars for cats?!?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
You can put coins in a can and shake it hard on your way out/in...this is usually something they don’t like...you need to be consistent. Or you can try spray a can of air (they type though but to clean a keyboard) don’t spray at them, but spray in the it...most hate the hissing noise. They also make a product called SSScat that sprays on it’s own when they get close. You can buy it on Amazon or Chewy.

I am not one for shock collars. If you find what they don’t like, you just need to be consistent. @Kate

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You can also train him to treat in a desired area. Also I’ve seen them trained to get on a perch near the door so they can see outside but won’t escape.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Catzzzmeow , thanks for the suggestions! I was only kidding about the shock collar, I could never do that to my baby .
@Sheldon13 thanks! If there was only me coming and going, it might work, but with a house full of people, I’m not sure we could be consistent.