Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Essential Oils & Kittens

I’m looking into taking a more holistic approach to my health & the health of my family by using a variety of essential oils on ourselves as needed.

Is there any harm to applying a few drops of essential oil to ourselves with our kitten(s) around?

What about diffusing essential oils in the house?

Thanks!

I put away all my essential oils when I brought home my Luna. In high concentrations all of those oils are irritating to humans to a certain degree, which is why we dilute them in carrier oils (or water for diffusing). Our kittens are much smaller than we are and can therefore be affected by much smaller amounts than we as adult humans would be. What might not bother us, could potentially poison them.

That being said, I treat my breakouts with a homemade serum made from grapeseed oil, lemon, frankincense, and tea tree. I use it sparingly before bed and am VERY careful not to allow Luna on/near my face when it is on, and absolutely NO face kisses allowed. It works better than anything else I've used, and I'm sure some of those topical medications my doctor has previously prescribed are just as bad for cats if they licked my face =S. I do not diffuse anymore (a friend had hers spill on her cat and burn their skin!), And make sure my oils are locked away well.

Do your research, and best of luck to you! I think there's an intelligent way to use them if that is what you want, but with caution and proper safety in mind!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Duglynukem , hello
Are there particular diffusers and products you recommend that have been proven Cleo kitty proof?

I have a Himalayan salt lamps thst are to be used with caution to0 around kitties who may lick them
I have had no issues with the salt lamps

Looking for a decent diffuser
Thanks in advance

@Duglynukem , hello
Are there particular diffusers and products you recommend that have been proven Cleo kitty proof?

I have a Himalayan salt lamps thst are to be used with caution to0 around kitties who may lick them
I have had no issues with the salt lamps

Looking for a decent diffuser
Thanks in advance
We use Young Living products and my wife recommends the Desert Mist diffuser (It has an intermittent cycle). Young Living has a website for pets products along with cat specific cautions.

Desert Mist Diffuser