Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Euthanization of over 350 animals at York (Toronto) OSPCA due to ringworm outbreak

York Region OSPCA has today begun to euthanize over 350 dogs, cats, puppies, kittens rabbits and other creatures due to ringworm outbreak. They are stating that this is the easiest way to contain the ringworm. I am in tears. They were posting pictures of the animals on the news. Rather than use a simple shampoo to get rid of the fungal infection these precious animals are being killed, whether they have it or not. Then the facility will be disinfected. Volunteers have offered to help treat anaimals and do whatever it takes but the OSPCA moved on their decision. Six workers got it. Are they being euthanized too? A sad demonstration of how some humans place no value on the lives of animals who look to us for their welfare, care and love. I am appalled, outraged, sick and devistated.

Euthanization has begun at OSPCA - Canada - Canoe.ca

gizmo6370

Banned
Re: Euthanization of over 350 animals at York (Toronto) OSPCA due to ringworm outbrea

:Cry: :Cry:

Bella07

Banned
Re: Euthanization of over 350 animals at York (Toronto) OSPCA due to ringworm outbrea

That is so sad.....I can't even read the article....too heartbreaking....If only I could save all of the animals in the world, I would sure try....

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

:Cry::Cry: OMG!! Those poor babies!!! They should get some volunteers to help them fight it!!! So sad!!!:Cry::Cry:

ckutkuhn7

Banned

Someone needs to get some protests started and open their eyes. That is insane!:Sweat::Cry::Cry:

holly_savage

Banned

Now before any of you read this, I just hope you don't think any worse of me or my opinions...I grew up on a working farm, that although we would never harm an animal or allow it to suffer unnecessarily, there are times when euthanizing is the best, and yes, I will admit it, least expensive of the options. I believe that it is a personal decision that only the pet owner / lover can make.

This story is a tragedy for certain, but from what I have been reading, some of these animals may be too far gone for treatment. I agree that there has to be some that can be saved...but apart from an oral treatment it also involves a topical treatment (dip) at least twice a week for between 3 and 8 weeks!

From Wikipedia...(look it up, this is only the treatment portion)
Treatment in pets requires both systemic oral treatment with most of the same drugs used in humans Terbinafine, Fluconazole, or Itraconazole, plus topical "dip" therapy.
Because of longer hair shafts in pets, the area of infection and possibly all longer hair of the pet must be clipped to decrease the load of fungal spores clinging to the pet's hair. However, close shaving is usually not done because nicking the skin facilitates further skin infection.
Twice-weekly bathing of the pet with diluted lime sulfur dip solution is effective at eradicating fungal spores. This must continue for 3 to 8 weeks. [18]
Washing of household hard surfaces with 1:10 household hypochlorite bleach solution is effective in killing spores.
Pet hair must be rigorously removed from all household surfaces, and then the vacuum cleaner bag (and often the vacuum cleaner itself) discarded when this has been done repeatedly. Removal of all hair is important since spores may survive 12 months or even as long as two years on hair clinging to surfaces.[19]
[edit]...

Can you imagine the manpower and resources required to treat 350 animals for 8 weeks!:Dizzy::Dizzy: That translates to giving a 'dip' to over 100 animals per day (5600 +dips in 8 weeks) , plus disinfecting between dips...I don't know what shelter is able to manage this.

Not to mention the whole shelter would have to be sanitized before they did otherwise there is no point...where do all these animals go in the meantime? I think in the long run it will be better for a good portion of these animals. The animals cannot even be placed in foster care with any other animals This is such a highly contagious fungus.

I know that growing up on the farm ringworm was a huge fear...one outbreak in your livestock (we had purebred beef cattle, but it could be any livestock) could potentially break you forever! I contracted it when I was in high school...not from the animals, probably from the ground / garden, and it was mandatory for the doctor to report it to the Local Health Unit, and they in turn had to report it to my school. I had to stay home from school for over a week! Had to have a doctor's note to be allowed back!

So this is my view on this story...and please feel free to rebutt...I will admit, that obviously someone missed the diagnosis somewhere along the line to allow his into the shelter, but what done is done and they have to deal with it now. I would not want to be in their shoes for anything in the world.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

So sad!!:Cry::Cry:

Holly,

Aling with the dips, I was informed there is also a round of oral medication that must be given to treat as well. It is actually quite a potentially expensive and difficult "problem" to teat. It was my understanding it was a medicated shampoo that was used to treat and that was all it took. That was not correct.

Now I won't say that I am still not comepletely heartbroken over this but some things were put into prospective. These kinds if things make me so emotional. Sometimes the media only tells one side of things.

Anyhow I am still upset and sick over this but at least I understand a bit more as to why it was being done.

holly_savage

Banned

And I am in total agreement that it is heartbreaking, to think of all those potential awesome pets that would have made their new families so happy, it is truly a sad story...if only there weren't such an abundance of unwanted/abandoned/misunderstood pets out there...truly an affirmation that pet ownership should not be taken lightly, and people really need to stop and think about all of the positives and negatives associated with that cute puppy or kitten (or bird, lizzard, bunny etc...)

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

:Cry::Cry::Cry: So sad!! Thanks Holy for putting it in to perspective, I can see how truly difficult it must be and I'm sure all those that work there are heart broken too, most people who work in shelters are people like us, nuts about animals, and I reckon they must be upset too...:Cry::Cry:

RIP poor babies!

X

As it had been said, if there weren't so many animals being surrendered to animal shelter, abandonded or left unaltered to have "unwanted" litters, then there wouldn't be these issues in the first place. Still sad but sometimes my emotions get the best of me. I would never make a good vet or social worker.

ckutkuhn7

Banned

Thanks for the info Holly. Its too bad there isn't a easier way to solve the issue.

RIP lil babies!

holly_savage

Banned

Some good news on this front folks (not much, but some)...

CBC News - Toronto - No mass euthanasia at animal shelter: OSPCA

As per usual, the info reported to the public by the media is not the whole story...just one person / groups version.

Still sad for those that had to die, but hopefully this event will serve to teach other shelters the dangers of not following protocols, and the importance of keeping "on top" of things.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Thanks for posting this! It is sad for those that have died but at least, hopefully, they can save the majority AND, like you said, learn from this and make it so nothig like this happens again.

X