Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

"Ewww it's so ugly"

SLISAPHYNX

Lairian
I have a really tough time when I show pictures of my baby and get the "ewwww, it's so ugly." I know it's silly but it really upsets me or hearts my feelings depending on how I feel about the person saying it. I have never told anyone that they had an ugly pet. There's beauty in everyone of them and they add so much to our lives. It's been 2 months since I've had him but I can't get used to it. When I look at my baby, I wonder where my heart was before he came into my life. I cant stand the comments and it's hard for me cuz he's so cute. He's got dirty face but how can you see ugly in this face?

Attachments

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SLISAPHYNX awhhh hugs
He is adorable!

FWIW , my oldest will be 9 soon ..
Even My own mother to this day says “eewww they are sooooo ugly . not my kinda cat “

Hugs n head smooches ! All of us here get all their cuteness !

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have a really tough time when I show pictures of my baby and get the "ewwww, it's so ugly." I know it's silly but it really upsets me or hearts my feelings depending on how I feel about the person saying it. I have never told anyone that they had an ugly pet. There's beauty in everyone of them and they add so much to our lives. It's been 2 months since I've had him but I can't get used to it. When I look at my baby, I wonder where my heart was before he came into my life. I cant stand the comments and it's hard for me cuz he's so cute. He's got dirty face but how can you see ugly in this face?
I’ll be frank. After the first several times I was patient and informative. Now I’m just ugly back. If they have kids, I retort that their kids are ugly. If not, I try to think of something else important to them that I can ridicule.

It’s not great character, I know. But I’ve had enough! Even if you DO think something is ugly, what gives you the right to put down someone you obviously know I love because I’m TELLING you that. Grr. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beckinboots

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sorry to hear you've had this experience. Some people are just plain rude and have no social filter. If it happened to me I would either walk away from them without saying anything; tell them that if they can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all ; or smile sweetly at them and say something like "thanks so much, right back atcha", depending on who they were and what situation I was in. I hope you you don't get this often because your boy is gorgeous.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
He is so very handsome and cute!

I get a lot of comments like this too. And now I already say it myself when I show pics or people come to visit me "be aware, they are very ugly". Most of the time people are shocked I say so and then say "oh no they're special/beautiful in their own way". It makes me laugh cause I know if I hadn't said they were ugly they would have said it.

Other times "be aware, I think the cats look like me/I look like them, so know what you're saying when you say they're ugly".

A little humour helps.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
We see it over and over. I agree it’s their loss. Some people just don’t see these amazing babies the same way we do and many see cat’s as pets not family members. I just take the high road. BTW your baby is beautiful. I hope you share them more with us.

Shmeeps

Lairian
I have had plenty of people ask what is that and it's a genuine question. After telling them it's a cat I say to them you either instantly fall in love or they totally creep you out. There really isn't any in between. It's true. You'll go to the vet and one person will come up and say OMG what is it, I love it and be all over my babies and another person will give you a wide berth or jump because you scared the crap out of them. It comes with the territory. I was the what is it and I HAVE TO have one person.:D

SLISAPHYNX

Lairian
I’ll be frank. After the first several times I was patient and informative. Now I’m just ugly back. If they have kids, I retort that their kids are ugly. If not, I try to think of something else important to them that I can ridicule.

It’s not great character, I know. But I’ve had enough! Even if you DO think something is ugly, what gives you the right to put down someone you obviously know I love because I’m TELLING you that. Grr. Ugh.

@Sheldon13. That is hilarious. It's usually what I'm thinking in my head but I love that you go ahead and say it.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm with you I cant stand it when someone says that to me.
I try to be nice but sometimes you just aren't in the mood ..or get that one person that just cant seem to let it go and thinks it's funny to go and on about it .. that's when I tend to follow in @Sheldon13 's footsteps! I've insulted peoples children a number of time .. I love the shocked look!!

Staceyxxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
OMG iv had rude people say this, i Used to insult them but now I just laugh as they tend to not have a lot going on in their own lives to say that about someone much loved pet! I tend to think their blind if they can’t see the cutest of our babies! No one will ever know the joy and love of the Sphynx kitty until they have spent time or owned one! {=

gojira14

Lairian
These cats are our children and a family member, ignorant people just don’t get it ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheZu

Lairian
I've been very lucky in that most people are surprised that Missy isn't more ugly! Most people find our Missy beautiful when they really get to see her in action and I get a lot of "Oh, I thought these were supposed to be ugly cats?" . I do think there is something about their movement that really highlights the feline form. Dude is still a kitten with some big ole blue eyes, so he's just always adorable.

Those that think she's ugly tend to have rather ugly personalities themselves and don't like pets in general so I try not to take it personally. The ones that really surprise me are the pet lovers that hate her... I mean, they have pets, you think they'd understand the bond? I'm all for a little gentle teasing, all pets and even humans have their quirky bits, but when it's the downright dismissal I'm shocked. Then there are those that think it's cruel (but also neglect to look at their own pedigree pets).

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Reading all the post about ugly and love made me think of a story about me as a baby.

My mother had a hard time when she gave birth to me. I got stuck and they had to get me out with a thingy I don't know the English word of, like a vacuum cleaner;-). She had to rest right after giving birth so she didn't really see me. My dad did.

When my mom woke up she asked me dad how I looked like. He said....she is UGLY! REALLY UGLY!!.
He truly ment it. But at the same time everybody knew he loved me beyond. I mean, my dad went to a bar ordered to give everyone a drink because he had a daughter. And then walked on the street yelling (in the middle of the night!): I have a daughter. Pure happiness. But still he taught I was ugly!:).

So for me thinking somebody is ugly is not saying you can't love that person or cat. My dad now thinks my cats are very ugly but he loves them a lot.!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Reading all the post about ugly and love made me think of a story about me as a baby.

My mother had a hard time when she gave birth to me. I got stuck and they had to get me out with a thingy I don't know the English word of, like a vacuum cleaner;-). She had to rest right after giving birth so she didn't really see me. My dad did.

When my mom woke up she asked me dad how I looked like. He said....she is UGLY! REALLY UGLY!!.
He truly ment it. But at the same time everybody knew he loved me beyond. I mean, my dad went to a bar ordered to give everyone a drink because he had a daughter. And then walked on the street yelling (in the middle of the night!): I have a daughter. Pure happiness. But still he taught I was ugly!:).

So for me thinking somebody is ugly is not saying you can't love that person or cat. My dad now thinks my cats are very ugly but he loves them a lot.!

Your dad sounds a lot like mine .. LOL

alandsim

Lairian
I just point out that pugs and bulldogs are ugly too by conventional standards but nobody would say it to their owners!

And then I say something about how long I've wanted a cat like Sim and how much I love her, because at the end of the day what people should respect is the significance the cat has to YOU. Obviously the cat won't be offended but it's still rude to say "hey I know you love that thing but it's ugly" when "not for me" would suffice.

Really baffling the way some people behave. I recently have struggled with having people over to our house who shriek, act scared or react in disgust (and really play it up. Alcohol is usually involved) when approached by Sim and I'm like "Please refrain from scaring my cat!?!"

EDITING TO ADD: next time someone says "ewww it's so ugly" to your boy you should say something along the lines of "yea he's great for helping me spot people with bad manners!" LOL

Jeanhill72

Lairian
Obviously it is really rude and it hurts our feelings because we love them so. I usually say "yeah, they are an acquired taste, but if you get to know him, he will change your mind." My daughter and I both have Sphynxies and we have converted many people to Sphynx lovers by introducing our babies to them. As hard as it is, try not to take it personally. If everyone knew how beautiful they truly are, everyone would have one and where's the fun in that?

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
When I taught full-time, I would have pictures of Cleopatra and Marcus on my class screen. At the start of the year, I would have a discussion with all my new students about how everyone is entitled to think what they want about other people and their pets, but you do not have to say everything you think. We discuss how differences are good and how I may not like their pets, but I would never say their pets are ugly. After that, every time a new student entered my class, I didn’t have to say a thing. The kids would educate the new student about differences and the manners expected. My second-, third-, and fourth-year students were actually proud of their “class mascots!”

Outside of school, I have gotten my share of “ugly” comments. We had Cleopatra out in her stroller one day, and a man came up and asked me if she was a Pit Bull!:rolleyes::0:eek: I usually try to educate them, that the catz are wrinkled, but they are cute in their own ways. It helps that Cleo has a very pretty face. People are always amazed at that.

Jeanhill72

Lairian
When I taught full-time, I would have pictures of Cleopatra and Marcus on my class screen. At the start of the year, I would have a discussion with all my new students about how everyone is entitled to think what they want about other people and their pets, but you do not have to say everything you think. We discuss how differences are good and how I may not like their pets, but I would never say their pets are ugly. After that, every time a new student entered my class, I didn’t have to say a thing. The kids would educate the new student about differences and the manners expected. My second-, third-, and fourth-year students were actually proud of their “class mascots!”

Outside of school, I have gotten my share of “ugly” comments. We had Cleopatra out in her stroller one day, and a man came up and asked me if she was a Pit Bull!:rolleyes::0:eek: I usually try to educate them, that the catz are wrinkled, but they are cute in their own ways. It helps that Cleo has a very pretty face. People are always amazed at that.
I was asked if mine was a Chihuahua and I was asked if he was a bat :)

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We had a bat in the house just last week, and I can attest that these cats look nothing like a bat!

Cleo and Markie would not have anything to do with the bat! They hid in our bedroom until the guys got it out of the house. :0

Jeanhill72

Lairian
We had a bat in the house just last week, and I can attest that these cats look nothing like a bat!

Cleo and Markie would not have anything to do with the bat! They hid in our bedroom until the guys got it out of the house. :0
I would have hid with the cats! We used to find bats all time when I was a kid at our family property in the woods. They give me the creeps.