Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Excessive saliva (HCM symptom?) question..

zinchik

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi guys, sorry for really MIA for a long time, but I really hope do get some help ..

lately Kika starting abruptly wake up from her sleep with loud meowing and rather excessive saliva coming out of her mouth.
Saliva is clear in color , no foaming and no odor. Otherwise she acts , eats and go to the litter box without any changes. At least I am not noticing anything.

She is 4 now (I can't believe really how time flies ! ) -- she was diagnosed with HCM, but very minor and our cardiologist did not advise any medication as long as there now new symptoms.
So now I am wondering, if that excessive saliva (and wake ups) can be one of the symptoms and I should make appointment directly to cardiologist, or should I go to our regular vet?

May be you guys have some experience...

Attachments

• 12138484_10153684498989939_3679693952552238468_o (1).jpg
    12138484_10153684498989939_3679693952552238468_o (1).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 19

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure, but have her teeth been looked at lately? Often dribbling of saliva can be due to tooth issues. I don't recall waking up as a symptom of HCM.

Vets usually say the first thing to look for is a change in breathing rate. They need to be completely at rest and not purring. Start logging the breaths per minute as well as if any labored breathing. I have read 20-30 is pretty normal. But when in doubt give the vet a call and ask for a standard breathing rate so you can monitor.

Patti

zinchik

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
omg.. Patti you are putting me at such easy! Thank you.

I do monitor her breath regularly since we learn she is HCM. Her teeth are not the greatest, but that can be easily checked by her regular vet.
She is not usually dripping saliva though, it just a combination of rather loud meows at wake up and dripping saliva thats worries me. But as long as it not HCM progressing..

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Run the symptoms by your vet when you get her teeth checked. Try to get a video tape of her making the loud meows when waking...couldn't hurt for vet to see this.

Patt

Yoda mom

Staff member
@zinchik , sending well wishes to beautiful Kika -
When she wakes up is it a guttural meow and how long does it last?
Are her extremities cool to the touch or warm during this meowing?
Video tape is a great idea to bring to the vet while you are checking teeth-
My Omar drooled and it was a canine tooth bothering him-

Glad you are Taking her for a vet check -

Please keep us updated - all paws crossed here for Kika
Head kisses from me

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Good to hear from you. Sorry, your baby has, HCM.
I would take her to the Vet and Let him check her over.
Show him the video, if you have one and explain how she
is doing. I wouldn't take any chances. Pray it's nothing serious.
Let us know.

zinchik

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Vet appointment is on tuesday.
I just glad I can go to regular vet and not to cardiologist... we had a few scares before when I run to cardiologist with her :) and I love to avoid it...

zinchik

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Quick update: while trying to videotape I notice that what I thought was excess saliva was indeed mucus coming out of her mouth. Luckily her symptoms we calming down and she has fewer and fewer of "episodes"
Vet suspected infection and told us that she has lost one of her back teeth:( either while fighting with Yorik or just because, although her teeth are not that bad). We are on antibiotics for the next 7 days and if symptoms persist - we will have to sedate her, so he can take check her more in depth

Hopefully it will not be necessary ;)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear not a symptom of HCM at this point. A very high percentage of cats have tooth problems and often they are remedied quickly. Kudos to you for noticing the symptoms and I hope the meds square everything away quickly.

Patti

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@zinchik Feel better vibes sent! Please keep us update and of course extra head smooches from my lil zoo

Hope to see some updated pics too ;)

sweenz

Lairian
Not sure, but have her teeth been looked at lately? Often dribbling of saliva can be due to tooth issues. I don't recall waking up as a symptom of HCM.

Vets usually say the first thing to look for is a change in breathing rate. They need to be completely at rest and not purring. Start logging the breaths per minute as well as if any labored breathing. I have read 20-30 is pretty normal. But when in doubt give the vet a call and ask for a standard breathing rate so you can monitor.

Patti
Hi Patti,

Can I ask you a question. My Mr. Biggs 10 year old rescure is in congestive heart failure. He probably had a heart condition his whole little life. He was with a hoarder when I got him. I would not know the actions of a Sphynx because this is my first one and I love him. I thought he was perfectly fine and than he started to cough. I took him to the heart Dr. he said Mr. Biggs condition is guarded and severe. Since I took him to the Dr. he seems worse. He is retaining some water, moves slower and doesn't or can't jump as much. He is still hungry and comes and looks for me and he of course sleeps with us. He purrs and gives his little love bites. I asked him what to look for in terms of Mr. Biggs getting worse it would be a heart rate of 22 beats or more in 30 seconds time and open mouth breathing. How do I know when the time is right for Mr. Biggs.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@sweenz I am so sorry to hear of this. This is such a hard question to answer because the right time is always so different. I can tell you this though. I had a vet tell me that if you are 100% sure it is time, then you probably waited too long. Meaning cats hide their pain very well and when it starts to show, then they really are hurting more than we thought.. From experience we have always just had that moment when we knew it was time for our babies to be at peace. I can't explain it...it was a look and a feel. The last gift we can truly give these babies is the grace and peace to cross the rainbow bridge to be free of pain. Know that our babies live completely in the minute. They know nothing other than what they going through in the present moment. We as humans tend to forget this and we hope and wish and think tomorrow might be a better day and we tie in the "what if" statement. I am a firm believer you will know in your heart when your baby is tired of fighting. You will know when you fear you are waiting to long and at that moment you will usually see the "look" I am talking about. I get tear eyed just writing this and thinking about it. I know many other members are the same way and we are all here for one another. I hope this has helped a bit even if it is just to let you know you are not alone. Many of us will be glad to be your buddy and extra support system.

Patti

Back