Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Excited about my new kitten but I need a little reassurance

smarron

Lairian
Hi everyone, I’m Sara and I’m new to the group. I’m getting my first sphynx kitten this week and I’m so excited! The breeder took him in for his health certificate the other day. She told me he got one but the vet said he has a grade 1 heart murmur. He’s 4 months old. She’s offered me the option of another kitten who will be ready to go home at the end of next month. Everything I’ve read says it’s probably not as bad as I think but the negative Nancy in me is saying that this is too much risk. I already feel kind of attached to this baby and I need to make up my mind in another day or two. I just want to hear what others’ experiences/opinions might be. Thank you so much!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome. I know you are between a rock and a hard place. A murmur can be just that a murmur and many kittens grow out of a murmur in the first year. But that being said if you are buying pet insurance should your baby have any heart issues, it will be considered a pre-existing condition and not be covered. I am sure you have read up on HCM. Only 50% with this heart disease exhibit a murmur. The others never even show a sign until it is too late. Only you can make the decision. I do have to say kudos to your breeder for being open and honest.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
What a good and trustable breeder to tell what’s going on and offering you to go with another kitten if you want.

A heart murmur can be just that and the kitten can grow out to be a healthy cat. But he can also develop HCM. Maybe you can make a deal with the breeder about the vet costs when he does?

The kitten needs a home to grow up and people who love him no matter what. Only you know if can offer him this and if you have the financial ability to take care of him if he does develop HCM. Not an easy decision. No matter what you decide, we hope to see a Gotcha Day thread of you!

Natasja

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Kudos for trusting your gut. Time to get excited lol over again. I hated the thought of you worrying before you even got your kitten. The anxiety of every vet visit is hard enough without having to worry if the murmur progresses on visits/scans.

Lynn W

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think you did the right thing, by choosing the other kitten, smarron. It's better to start off with a healthy kitten, if he's your first baby, so you don't worry so much.:) I worry about my kitten and he's as healthy as a horse.:nailbiting:

Back