Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Expecting Baby, Should I rehome my sphynx?

Leah Beckler

Lairian
Hello everyone,
Ive never posted on here before but let me tell you a little bit about my situation.

I have a one year old sphynx cat, I got him last June and it has been a dream of mine for YEARS to own one of these cats. I did all my research and knew what I was getting into. I researched breeders close to me and forked out $1100 for my dream cat. Everything I read said Sphynx cats are hyperactive, playful, affectionate, need pretty high maintenance grooming, and my boy has proven all of these things to be true!
My little boy is the most affectionate, playful little cat I've ever seen. I love him to pieces, but it's been a struggle dealing with some of his less endearing behaviors. In short, he is a handful. He needs constant attention, meows at my door, scratches every piece of soft material that I have, attacks my feet when I walk by, when I sit down or lay down anywhere he wants me to pick him up and reaches for or sits on my chest. He throws anything he can move onto the grown, (the other day he had knocked over our floor lamp in the living room), he will eat anything he finds interesting (edible or otherwise), I can't keep plants anywhere where he can reach them, he jumps up on everything, and he has a really great habit of stepping in his poop and dragging it all over the house about once a month. I love him so much and he is really a sweet boy, he's never been aggressive (except when he is really playful he does bite) he's extremely social and loves everyone he meets.
Anyways all this to say, I am expecting a baby this June. I've been trying to curb some of his bad behaviors before the baby comes, but he's just got such a big personality and I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up with him when the baby comes. He's already shown ALOT of interest in the baby's room and anytime we open the door to the babys room he darts in. I'm not so much concerned about him hurting the baby as I am that his behaviors will get worse as all of my time and attention will be focused on my newborn and not on him. My intuition tells me he really needs another cat to bond with so he won't be so needy for attention from me, but we have a small house and a dog and adding a new cat to the mix along with a new baby is just out of the question. My husband also works very long hours so I am basically taking care of everyone all by myself, and he is not very fond of the cat because of his bad behaviors. The thought has crossed my mind of finding a new home for him, maybe someone who has sphynx already and other cats he can bond with, but another part of me wonders if all of his behaviors are just because of his age and he will calm down in a year or two.
Does anyone out there have any advice for me?? I feel like I'm doing all I can for him but when the baby comes he's going to be in for a shock with the lack of attention and I don't want that to result in more bad behavior and resentment towards him. Any one have experience with sphynx and newborn babys? Any advice would be apprciated!!
Thanks for reading!

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ok I'm for once going to give my opinion the first opinion is just my little pet peeve ... We say we love these babies they become our families yet we say we own them... Do you all really own your family members? Just because I paid money for my boys doesn't mean I own them. Perhaps too if we didn't own them they wouldn't become disposable ...

Now I will be honest I didn't have the heart to read through the whole post cause I'm very sensitive to reasons for rehoming and it hurts too much but I read enough to ask you this one question and I hope it makes you think.

When you new human child shows undesirable behaviour will you be thinking of rehoming him/her as well?? I'm asking you that in hopes to make you think....

I'm not being unsupportive but getting a pet should be for their life we can't say we love them then rehome them cause they have trates we find hard. We should love them the same as they love us without conditions unconditional love I know for humans is very hard but when a little animal loves you they don't sit there thinking they only love you at treat time..

That's my 5 cents worth

Good luck with your decision

TorchicPyro

Lairian
This may sound crazy but...

Maybe you could buy a baby doll that cries from time to time. (i don't know if they sell these anymore haha). Treat the doll as if it were a baby, your own infant. Put it to sleep, feed it, change the diaper (have the smells of baby powder around). Basically get the cat used to the smells of baby lotion, shampoos and used to having the "fake" baby around. Do this in a good routine.
Routine is everything. Especially to felines.
Praise the cat for its good behavior!

I'm sure it'll be a great experience for the humans and the cat! Meow!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone,
Ive never posted on here before but let me tell you a little bit about my situation.

I have a one year old sphynx cat, I got him last June and it has been a dream of mine for YEARS to own one of these cats. I did all my research and knew what I was getting into. I researched breeders close to me and forked out $1100 for my dream cat. Everything I read said Sphynx cats are hyperactive, playful, affectionate, need pretty high maintenance grooming, and my boy has proven all of these things to be true!
My little boy is the most affectionate, playful little cat I've ever seen. I love him to pieces, but it's been a struggle dealing with some of his less endearing behaviors. In short, he is a handful. He needs constant attention, meows at my door, scratches every piece of soft material that I have, attacks my feet when I walk by, when I sit down or lay down anywhere he wants me to pick him up and reaches for or sits on my chest. He throws anything he can move onto the grown, (the other day he had knocked over our floor lamp in the living room), he will eat anything he finds interesting (edible or otherwise), I can't keep plants anywhere where he can reach them, he jumps up on everything, and he has a really great habit of stepping in his poop and dragging it all over the house about once a month. I love him so much and he is really a sweet boy, he's never been aggressive (except when he is really playful he does bite) he's extremely social and loves everyone he meets.
Anyways all this to say, I am expecting a baby this June. I've been trying to curb some of his bad behaviors before the baby comes, but he's just got such a big personality and I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up with him when the baby comes. He's already shown ALOT of interest in the baby's room and anytime we open the door to the babys room he darts in. I'm not so much concerned about him hurting the baby as I am that his behaviors will get worse as all of my time and attention will be focused on my newborn and not on him. My intuition tells me he really needs another cat to bond with so he won't be so needy for attention from me, but we have a small house and a dog and adding a new cat to the mix along with a new baby is just out of the question. My husband also works very long hours so I am basically taking care of everyone all by myself, and he is not very fond of the cat because of his bad behaviors. The thought has crossed my mind of finding a new home for him, maybe someone who has sphynx already and other cats he can bond with, but another part of me wonders if all of his behaviors are just because of his age and he will calm down in a year or two.
Does anyone out there have any advice for me?? I feel like I'm doing all I can for him but when the baby comes he's going to be in for a shock with the lack of attention and I don't want that to result in more bad behavior and resentment towards him. Any one have experience with sphynx and newborn babys? Any advice would be apprciated!!
Thanks for reading!
Sorry to hear of this issue. Is the cat neutered? Also, I don't think another cat will help with your ordeal. In the end you need to make the right decision for everyone, you, your child and the kitty. Good luck in your decision. :)

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I bet you feel overwhelmed right now. You might be surprised how you can incorporate paying attention to your little boy when the baby is here. Might mean breaking out a toy a few times a day while baby is napping. How about buying the battery operated laser toy that you can turn on to keep him busy. Also perhaps when feeding baby, you can invite your little boy to sit next to you for some loving. I think the best route is to include your little boy from the day the baby enters your home. He knows nothing different and will hopefully adapt to the new routine. The occasional poop foot is nothing compared to the amount of diaper changing you are in for...lol.

Patti

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow, you sounds so stressed! Congratulations on the new addition to your family! It will all boil down to the decision you think is best for your family, human and feline, but I bet you'll be able to handle both. Like you're already doing, start to really crack down on the 1-2 behaviours that you really can't stand and work slowly towards correcting the others. You still have time before baby comes to get some of these things in hand. Be really firm and very consistent, every single time. With a newborn, you'll have more time than you think to gradually change your routine for when times get busier, and I bet your kitty will adjust right along with you. Age might calm him a bit as well.
Good luck. This is such an exciting time, try not to stress about things to much!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
First of all: congratulations on the new family member! I don't have childeren, only my two naked boys so I can't really advice you. Just wanted to say: good luck with making the right decision for your sphynx, your child and yourself!

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Your baby is still young and will probably settle and calm down.
Please give him a chance to grow up.
I can' t imagine anything that would separate me from my boy.

Good luck.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Do you play a lot with your baby? Like the da bird? They need to
be worn down. Playing with him at least couple times a day.
House plants are poisonous to sphynx, you need to get rid of them.
You have to cat proof your home, same as you would wit a child.
Sphynx are needy. Is he neutered? Also, being pregnant, you shouldn't
handle litter. Have your husband clean the litter box and litter.

Elaina

Lairian
Living with my partner without my girl would not be an option.

Could you imagine your house empty, just you and the baby when your husbands at work? All those little annoying things gone, no Sphynx cuddles and purrs?! If you picture bliss then I guess you've made your mind up. In my opinion a house doesn't feel like a home without a cat and you must love yours to be debating over this. I'd like to think you owe it to your young sphynx to at least try when the baby is born. If it doesn't work out, at least you explored the option and can find him a loving home.

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Congratulations!! Have you ever watched the program about the cat whisperer? My cat from hell, he has a show on a sphynx that had a few things going on like yourself, you may find it really useful to watch, you can find it on YouTube :) as for my opinion, he is not at risk of harming your little one, and he will be great company to you while your partners working, and just think, when the little ones abit older they can be the best of friends! :) I really think that episode will help you out, but whatever you decide good luck, and I wish you all the best

TanyaMeaw

Lairian
How old is your sphynx? When our Nacho was 6 months to about a year old he was crazy. We had a studio apartment at the time and it was impossible, we literally had to lock him up in a cage every night because he wouldn't let us sleep. He would be running across our faces and knocking everything down all night long. The bathroom wasn't an option because he would scream all night. Cage worked great, he slept in it and didn't try to get out :) After that period he came down, his character changed when he became an adult. He's very chill now although kinda needy, he loves to cuddle. They are like people they go through their wild teenage stage. I would give him a chance...

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I just brought home my new baby girl yesterday to a house with 2 sphynx cats and 3 fur babies. We bought netting, pods, ect to ensure baby girl was protected from the cats. The fur babies could care less, but the sphynx babies are very interested. I let them interact with her under supervision. One of my sphynx is an 8 month old kitten and when the baby cries she runs to her like she wants to help. We let her in the pod and she licked her to comfort her.

I got my first sphynx from a shelter where her previous home surrendered her because they got pregnant. It broke my heart as Emma Leigh was the center of my universe. I knew we would one day would have a human family, but I made a commitment for LIFE to my cats (fur and naked) and through thick and thin, we will make it work. Surrendering should be the absolute last resort. Sphynx cats are very intelligent and amazing cats and I encourage you to look into netting, pods, sccatt dispensers, ect to help protect your human baby. Don't give up on him!

Check out my thread...

http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/a-new-sphynx-lover-is-born.31120/#post-374031

Attachments

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You sound like you may be having similar troubles to me. My guy is nothing like my first sphynx at all. He is even more over the top than what most sphynx are. I just posted asking for help how to manage some of the issues I am having with Odin. I do not believe in rehoming. For me it is not an option, but my step mom keeps encouraging me to do so. I do not have any advice for you except for what I keep telling myself and that is he has got to calm down soon. I sure hope it is true. In the meantime I keep researching trying to find a solution. I realize that it may take a long time. I hope you reach a decision that you are comfortable with and there your little guy will be safe, happy and healthy.

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just brought home my new baby girl yesterday to a house with 2 sphynx cats and 3 fur babies. We bought netting, pods, ect to ensure baby girl was protected from the cats. The fur babies could care less, but the sphynx babies are very interested. I let them interact with her under supervision. One of my sphynx is an 8 month old kitten and when the baby cries she runs to her like she wants to help. We let her in the pod and she licked her to comfort her.

I got my first sphynx from a shelter where her previous home surrendered her because they got pregnant. It broke my heart as Emma Leigh was the center of my universe. I knew we would one day would have a human family, but I made a commitment for LIFE to my cats (fur and naked) and through thick and thin, we will make it work. Surrendering should be the absolute last resort. Sphynx cats are very intelligent and amazing cats and I encourage you to look into netting, pods, sccatt dispensers, ect to help protect your human baby. Don't give up on him!

Check out my thread...

http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/a-new-sphynx-lover-is-born.31120/#post-374031
That pic is beautiful, you can see the concern on her face

TanyaMeaw

Lairian
Oh and i forgot to mention, when our Nacho becomes too hyper we put clothes on him and he immediately calms down, its like magic! Try putting a sweater on him maybe it will help :)

deanna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello! I really understand where you are coming from and the concern you have when the baby comes in. My personal opinion is that if it's not hurting you physically it should will not hurt your baby. They are really smart and do understand how to act around a baby. It's just an instinct. These are things that he can grow out off. Give it time :) I have two children under two years old. Dobby and kira adore them always so gentle when they are around.

Leah Beckler

Lairian
Wow! Thank you so much for all the advice! I definitely am going to see how everything settles when the baby gets here. I am not so concerned about him harming the baby as I am about him getting the love and attention he needs (and also not driving me and my husband nuts!) We are working on correcting some behaviors but he is just so spoiled already the changes are going to be difficult for him to grasp. I guess my biggest concern is wondering if he will ever grow out of these excessively needy behaviors? I know he is still young, and I know that sphynx are more hyperactive than most cats, so I'm just wondering will he always crave constant attention or will he eventually settle down? I feel bad if I can't give him what he needs, but part of me also just wonders if he is just spoiled. We play with Da Bird 2-3 times a day, until he is breathing heavy! I'm working on ignoring him when he is going nuts for my attention (meowing, running underneath my feet, knocking things over) and trying to reward him with play or affection when he is calm and quiet. (Which are rare moments) has this method worked for any other sphynx parents out there?

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think you will find out that he will settle down as he gets older. Cleopatra was absolutely nuts about getting attention when she was younger, and she has settled more as she has gotten older. Could you create an outdoor space for him or a space for him in the house that is his now? We have a screened-in patio, and when the Sphynxes get to be too crazed, we put them out there (weather permitting) for a short time out. When Cleo ate 32 inches of yarn and had to have surgery to remove it, we set up a large dog cage in our small living room. We covered it partially with a quilt and put her bed and some blankets in it (and because she was recovering from surgery, a litter box). She loved it and used it as her private cave. Perhaps your baby would do well if he had a spot where he could go, not always as punishment, but as his private space.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My Lilah (9 months old) had already started to chill being around the baby. She is our spazz kitty since she is still a baby, but she now loves laying with Shelby, licking her, comforting her when she cries. She has become a much more loving cat, it is like they have a parenting instinct that kicks in being around a baby of any form. My boy kitties too (fur babies) are not as wild now that the baby is here, they are more curious.

The offer stands, please feel free to message me 0r reach out once the baby is here and I will give you some great advice. My first piece is that...BUY ONE OF THESE IF YOU CAN....

They are a tad pricey and I found mine on a garage sale Facebook website for 10 bucks and it is amazing. She can do her tummy time, play time on the floor with no worries of the kitties messing with her or accidentally scratching her. Again, they are really gentle around her, but this was such a piece of mind for me you wouldn't believe it. And you can use it outside too if you go camping or want to sometime without worrying about bug bites :D

I have 5 cats, so I know some great tricks. You will be amazed how they adapt!

The MotherShip

Lairian
Hello everyone,

Thanks for reading!
Hi, Congratulations on your upcoming new baby! I understand your concerns and they are extremely valid. First and foremost Babies come first and anyone who does not understand that probably doesn't have children. Stop changing the litter box as of now, your doc should have told you this, hubby will have to do this from here on in. Discuss this with your doctor. Toxoplasmosis is the risk and you have to be aware of it. I have been a breeder for over 40 yrs. The aggressive behaviour you describe many times comes at the hands of two legged 'boys' small ones and big ones. It seems to be a natural for human males to take their hands and play fight with the kitten, rumpling the tummies, cupping their hands over the baby's face and 'wrestling' with him. Getting baby to swat at their hands, etc, seemingly innocent play right? Until you are attacked in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom which is what you say is happening. Here's what I tell my families HANDS ARE NOT TOYS, don't train your kitten to view you as fair prey...they are 'Cats'.
So now you have a year old baby that you must try to correct the behaviour. Get a 'new' plant spray bottle put it on 'stream' and when baby does anything that you are displeased with use it. Sphynx are incredibly smart and he will get 'it' really quickly. The only ones who don't are the ones you have to lock out of the bathroom when you have a bath or they are in there with you :) They will just stand there lapping up the water as you spray it...good game mom. A second kitten will make your life even more complicated and probably not solve anything. To just assume that your kitten will magically settle down I think is overly optimistic and you are due in just a few months and you need to be really proactive on this. I really wish you the best with your current baby and the wonderful baby that will arrive in June! Lauren

Thedollylala

Lairian
I have a 5 day old and this is happening right now. I have 5 cats and I couldn't imagine getting rid of any of them as they are my children as well. Being a pet owner has responsibilities as well as being a parent. You just have to be prepared always and keep your eyes open if your cats get too close or too rowdy around the baby.

Attachments

Thedollylala

Lairian
I have a 5 day old and this is happening right now. I have 5 cats and I couldn't imagine getting rid of any of them as they are my children as well. Being a pet owner has responsibilities as well as being a parent. You just have to be prepared always and keep your eyes open if your cats get too close or too rowdy around the baby. I would have give your cat a chance to see how he does. Boy cats tend to calm down around age 2

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
There are a lot of misconceptions that lead people to think they might need to get rid of their cats when they welcome new little humans to the family. A couple friends of mine had a baby last December, and while their two cats were wary for a couple weeks, they've come to see the baby as a normal fixture. As long as you are calm, kitty will be calm. If you tiptoe around him when the baby comes, he'll wonder what he did wrong. This isn't to say you have to hide your feelings when you're exasperated because baby won't stop crying, but treat the situation as normal, and kitty will adjust. He may also see baby as a FUN addition and adopt the little one as his own. It's been known to happen. Best wishes!

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ok I'm for once going to give my opinion the first opinion is just my little pet peeve ... We say we love these babies they become our families yet we say we own them... Do you all really own your family members? Just because I paid money for my boys doesn't mean I own them. Perhaps too if we didn't own them they wouldn't become disposable ...

Now I will be honest I didn't have the heart to read through the whole post cause I'm very sensitive to reasons for rehoming and it hurts too much but I read enough to ask you this one question and I hope it makes you think.

When you new human child shows undesirable behaviour will you be thinking of rehoming him/her as well?? I'm asking you that in hopes to make you think....

I'm not being unsupportive but getting a pet should be for their life we can't say we love them then rehome them cause they have trates we find hard. We should love them the same as they love us without conditions unconditional love I know for humans is very hard but when a little animal loves you they don't sit there thinking they only love you at treat time..

That's my 5 cents worth

Good luck with your decision
Amazing point made and it hit home thank you for that in put I am sure you helped this lady xx