Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Explorer Kitty?

Rhianne

Lairian
Hey there!
Bit of a rambling question coming- what do you do with your kitty who loves exploring and is dying to branch outdoors?
Kiwi is a big believer that fortune favours the brave and is virtually unstoppable when she's determined to do something. The second the front door opens she bolts out, and although we have a small front garden, it's all too easy for her to be straight out and onto the street. This really concerns me due to cars, other cats and the cold. I'm slowly harness training her but she's really not keen on it and I'm beginning to suspect she'll never take to it, meaning I won't be able to take her out on a harness it warms up a bit and she will be able to enjoy the fun of nature. My question is this- has anyone here got any advice for someone who wants to enrich their baby's life with the great outdoors but doesn't want to force them to wear a harness? Have many people had success with harness training their cat after some teething problems, and now is able to take their cat out? I know it would make Kiwi's life sooo much bigger and better but I'm just terrified she'll get hurt or lost or ill from the cold. Any advice is massively appreciated.
Thanks a bunch! xx

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Harness training can be a slow process. My boy doesn't mind the harness but he doesn't yet walk on the lead he just kinda hangs out haha.

If you guys had a small back yard or something you could look into building or installing a cat run/enclosure so she has a safe and enclosed space she can explore outside without the risk of her getting hurt.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Harness training can take some time. So keep trying as long as she isn't too scared on the leash.
You could buy a stroller to take her for outings so she can enjoy being outside.