Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Eye color question

RandE

Lairian
The other day I noticed that Jade's eyes aren't exactly the same color. She is white with green eyes and her dad was an odd-eye. While I know she is not an odd eye, I wondered if the slight variation in color from one to the other was a sign of carrying the gene for odd eye?

I'm a genetics fan. I have a sugar glider breeding program and some of our gliders that carry certain genes display a slightly different coloring than a glider that does not carry the gene. So that got me wondering. I cannot find a whole lot about sphynx genetics online so I thought I was inquire here.

Her right eye is very green but her left eye is gold/green.

Looking straight at her photos it would be the left eye green in the pic and her right eye goldish green.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 421
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 457

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The other day I noticed that Jade's eyes aren't exactly the same color. She is white with green eyes and her dad was an odd-eye. While I know she is not an odd eye, I wondered if the slight variation in color from one to the other was a sign of carrying the gene for odd eye?

I'm a genetics fan. I have a sugar glider breeding program and some of our gliders that carry certain genes display a slightly different coloring than a glider that does not carry the gene. So that got me wondering. I cannot find a whole lot about sphynx genetics online so I thought I was inquire here.

Looking straight at her photos it would be the left eye green in the pic and her right eye goldish green.

Thoughts?

OMG, I wanted to eat up her adorable face right through my computer monitor. LOL
Hmm? I wanted you to send a message to one of our members as I have a feeling she may know how to answer your questions and for the life of me, I cannot think of her member name. :( OMG! I can't even think of the first letter which would have helped me search for it. I'm so sorry. It will come to me and I will get back to you.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well first let me say she is gorgeous! And the second picture you can see the difference much better. Her eyes are stunning! She may just like some humans have a slight variation. My daughter has brown eyes but one is much lighter and changes. Her dad has blue eyes, and light eyes run in my family. Whatever the reason she is a beauty....she has odd eye color her green is very green & gold undertones is very gold. Really nice enjoy!

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I do see a slight difference but know nothing about genetics... I do know she's gorgeous!!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Thoughts?

Maybe ask @Retro Kitty. If anyone knows, I bet it's Retro. :) {That's who I wanted to tell you to contact, but went brain-dead last night!}

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
All three of my boys carry for odd eye (daddy is an odd eye) and there is no difference in their eyes. I have 2 with aqua eyes and 1 with green eyes. It may have more to do with the amount of light that is reflecting off of that particular eye at that time or it could just be a slight variation in the way the color developed (which may have been passed down geneticaly). My green eyed white is a good example off strange color passing through a breed line, he has very light mint green eyes which Ive never seen before but I know of a few others who have kits produced from the same dad and sure enough their eyes are lighter green too! His eyes are so light sometimes they look clear or like they have a blue tint. The only reason I know they are green is 1. when I got him at 12 weeks old they were emerald green and changed over the first few months and 2. When light shines in them you cant see the red you see in a blue eyed cat.

RetroKitty may have a better explanation... She is really good at the genetics! I just dabble :)

RandE

Lairian
Thank you everyone!

Thank you for the responses on the color too! I'll see if I can get some different pictures of it and post them here. Those photos were the only ones I had that she was sitting still and looking at me. lol It's much more pronounced in real life where the one eye looks almost gold with green highlights and the other just looks bright green. It's very pretty and makes her even more unique. :)

NeyaBenz

Lairian
Eye color genetics in humans is thought to be well known, but its still iffy. Its definitely not like the gene cubes they showed us in high school!
Cat eye genetics are much the same, confusing, factored by many things. Even breeding an odd eye to an odd eye does not guarantee even one odd eye (although its probably more likely, especially if the parents are related because they would genetically carry white dominant and white spotting genes). There are a lot of online papers about the subject of eye color and odd eye color in different species.

Interestingly enough many sources say cats eyes under flash with odd eyes will shine green/red respectively, but I've noticed my kittens eyes do this and she's definitely not odd eyed, nor did she come from odd eyed parents (her father was blue with light blue eyes, and her mother cream calico with yellow eyes)

Retro Kitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sorry, I've been stuck in bed with a cold or I would have chimed in sooner. I am no help whatsoever with odd eyes! I worked with leopard geckos for years and was able to find several physical indicators of heterozygous genes for different morphs by proving them out but I've never worked with odd eyed sphynx. I hope that more people working with them will do genetic testing to see if there are certain traits hidden by white that work together to cause the odd eyes. I know in geckos there was a combination of 5 or 6 specific color and pattern traits which had to be present to cause solid red or black eyes. The combo seemed pretty random but was proven through test breeding. Anyway, the slightly unusual eye color certainly could be a het marker. Is this a pet cat or part of a breeding program? I'll be interested to see how it plays out if she has offspring.

Sorry for the ridiculously long rambling post. I blame the fever!

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sorry, I too am of no here on the eye question. But your baby is verrrrrry cute!

All I know is that tKing a genetics class in college lead me to a very vigorous fruit fly breeding program in which I was able to breed an entire hoard of fruit flies with wings! Also known as...ants!

Jen

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Tish the Squish is indeed odd-eyed. One blue, one green on the outside, gold more towards her pupil. Her mother and father are both solid eyed cats, dad has aqua mama has blue but mama is a carrier for the odd eyed gene!!!

NeyaBenz

Lairian
Here are a couple more pictures of the anomoly.
Theres definitely a difference there. Not sure if that is considered odd eye(ie is it only odd eyes if its drastically two different colors? I personally dont know)or just normal variations. But definitely gorgeous eyes. In my own(not expert at all) opinion I'd say she looks odd eyed to me, one green base one yellow base

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Wow! She has very Unique eyes, Almost 2 colors in each eye. I had a Odd-Eyed Sphynx Queen and she had kittens that had slightly different colored eyes but they were not different enough to be considered Odd Eyed kittens. So I would guess that the different coloration in her eyes are caused by the Genetics within her. I also breed Sugar Gliders and know exactly what you mean there too! :) Ive always been into Exotics, I have a Hedgehog Breeding Program as well. Sugies, Hedgies, and Sphynx!

Back