Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

eye concern?

ameliabalcom

Lairian
hi! ive noticed my sphynx is especially squinty? she gets eye boogies and all that but her eyes are closed alottt i mean she opens them when she’s rlly doing something but for the most part it seems shed rather keep her eyes shut i asked the woman i got her from about it to see if she was on any eye drops and she said she wasnt on any but shed link me to a cream i could use as a precautionary measure on occasion called zoetis terramycin ophthlamic ointment but she doesnt think she needs it she also said “She also squints because she’s very bare. She doesn’t have any fuzz around her eyes to keep dust out and everything else. That’s also why she may have more discharge than usual. So how I do it is I just hold her and calm her down a little, and with a wet cloth just open her eyelids a little to where I see the brown discharge and wipe it gently. “just chrious how everyones babies eyes are

Attachments

ameliabalcom

Lairian
picks of her closed/open squinty eyes for example

Attachments

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mine keeps hers closed a lot too. I just wipe away the gunk a couple of times a day. Do they look infected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
I am familar with Terramycin - my girl came with some to keep on hand . Good stuff .
True they have no eyelashes to keep gunk out - same with ear hair .

Is your baby squinting more since you got her ? Any yellow or green gunk which can be signs of infection ... or is it the usually brown gel like gunk we see in Sphynx?
Any sneezing ?

do you use scented litter or scented baby wipes ? Some kitties are Senstive to products , candles, air fresheners , laundry detergent , dryer sheets .

You can get a vet wellness check for peace of mind and mention her little snorting little sounds too

Head smooches sent to Norma ! Soo stinkin cute!

Last edited:

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Is norma a donskoy Sphynx? Cause genetically they do have much more slanted/squinty eyes than the Canadian Sphynx.
If you wanted getting a wellness check could give you the piece of mind to see if she is ok and you could ask about the cream there. But if she doesn't seem bothered and the eye goop isnt a weird colour (brown is normal for Sphynx) then I wouldn't be too concerned.

ameliabalcom

Lairian
wait yes! she sneezes alot , should I use the ointment? it came in the mail today? if she has some gunk and is sneezing does that mean somethings wrong ?

ameliabalcom

Lairian
hi! yes shes a donskoy and super, duper, naked lol her gunk ranges from light clearish yellowish when its forming to brown when its dry and she doesnt seem bothered at all im just nuts lol

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
hi! yes shes a donskoy and super, duper, naked lol her gunk ranges from light clearish yellowish when its forming to brown when its dry and she doesnt seem bothered at all im just nuts lol
Then I would say she does seem squinty but it could be her donskoy genes and also that she is so young still and growing. The gunk sounds like a normal colour to me so I wouldn't be too worried especially if she is eating normally :) but a wellness check is always a good idea.

Izidora

Lairian
You could have her checked just to be sure but since she is a donskoy, squinting is just how their eyes are. I had the same concern with my boy when he was young and he's not even a 100% donskoy, he's a cross between donskoy and canadian sphynx yet his yet his eyes and looks go more towards a donskoy. Will attach pics below.
We've been to the vet lots of times and didn't find out anything, mostly due to the fact that people (here) don't know about donskoy...so they said it's entropion, or that his eyes are dry, we used lots of artificial tears, creams, one ophtalmologist even suggested that the glands that are supposed to moisture the eye are clogged or are simply not developed well :-/ When he grew up, his eyes became more open, he is still squinty but not like before so I leave it be and everything is fine.
You could check if it's entropion (when eyelids turn inwards and irritate eye) cause I hear it's a common problem in donskoy breed.

Attachments

ameliabalcom

Lairian
thankyou!! whatever it is is bothers me more than her haha ill get her to the vet this week she prob just nears some artificial tear type thing / is fine

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Next vet trip, you can ask your vet if it might be entropion. We have seen some members have this issue with their naked babies. You can type the word in the search bubble and look around a bit. Some have actually had surgery to correct it if it is.

Here is some info on it. How to Diagnose and Treat Entropion in Cats: 11 Steps

Yoda mom

Staff member
Head smooches to cutie Norma! Keep us updated !

ameliabalcom

Lairian
hi! i was thinking entropion but shes a donskoy so shes really naked and really squinty ... BUT her eyes water sometimes like shell look up at me an theres a little tear on her cheek and she does little sneezes sometimes so maybe she has like a little cold ? idk shes going to the vet this week but in the meantime i cant help but stress her eyelids dont look “rolled in” tho she looks like shes got big eyes and adequate amount of lid lolol

Yoda mom

Staff member
Glad you have a vet appointment for peace of mind
Always best to vet check and make sure a cold , URI isn't brewing .

Following closely for updates
Head smooches sent

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes like Yoda moment said it's very common for kittens to catch a cold or a URI when they first come home from the stress etc. Orpheus got one and had a round of antibiotics when he first came home.