Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Eye goo and winking

tessblack

Banned
Yesterday Tux's eye just started getting these yellow boogies in the corner and was winking a bit. It is still happening but nothing really bad. What could it be? Is it something I should get checked? Just a bit concerned about it because he usually has clean eyes with no boogies at all.

Thanks

tess

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know, eye goop always scares me. I keep antibiotic eye gel on hand and always have it checked by the vet.

Shauntay

Banned
I actually went with Mistah to the vet today because one of his eyes got very red and swollen, he is on an antibiotic cream. Firsttime Mistah has ever been ill a day in his life, I was pretty upset over it. With the ointment being only administered three times so far I already see an improvement. Mistah just had conjunctivitis, but eye issues can also be a sign of something more serious like herpes, chlamydia or FIP. Good luck with your baby!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I was under the impression that sphynx eye goo should be dark in color, black, brownish red or brown. If its yellow or white or puss-like then its bad bad bad. Snuffie usually needs the corner of her eyes wiped once a day and its normally black to brown in color. When she gets winky then I know there is a flare on its way.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You should have it vet checked. White, yellow or green means white blood cells that have died, which means infection. It could be no big deal, just some antibiotic eye ointment is needed, or steroid ointment may be needed. Only a vet can decide whether steriods or antibiotics are needed and they need to rule out a scratch on the eyeball as well.....
Yes Sphynx eye boogers are usually clear, pink, reddish brown, brown or black.
Hope he gets better soon!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
You should have it vet checked. White, yellow or green means white blood cells that have died, which means infection. It could be no big deal, just some antibiotic eye ointment is needed, or steroid ointment may be needed. Only a vet can decide whether steriods or antibiotics are needed and they need to rule out a scratch on the eyeball as well.....
Yes Sphynx eye boogers are usually clear, pink, reddish brown, brown or black.
Hope he gets better soon!!

Thanks for the info on the gooey colors! I learned something new today. :ThumbsUp:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Snuffie and Christina- my kitties get this too. It is also gray/black/brownish... so def darker in color. and we clean it out at least once a day.
As for any other colors, we haven't gotten that. But we have had "Conjunctivitus" which is basically any irritation to the eye from pink eye-allergies. With my kitties, it's been associated with Upper Respitory Infections. In our case, they gave us a little clear gel to put in kitty's eye every 12 hours. works very well and quick!
If the eye looks irritated, take kitty in asap! Good Luck to your kitty!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes Tess, a vet visit should be done if not clear in a day or two or any other symtoms arrive, runny nose, vomiting etc. Hope Tux is feeling better soon!

tessblack

Banned
Thanks guys. It has not come back since yesterday morning and there is no other symptoms so I am going to keep an eye on it. If it comes back and stays around then I am going to take him in.

Thanks for the help.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mo gets regular eye boogies that are usualy clear/pink but never yellow. Hope it clears up soon, let us know.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Thanks guys. It has not come back since yesterday morning and there is no other symptoms so I am going to keep an eye on it. If it comes back and stays around then I am going to take him in.

Thanks for the help.

Good! Glad he is feeling better! I hope it stays away for good.

holly_savage

Banned
Wow folks, now I learned something new today too! I just assumed all eye boogeys were bad...Hibou's one eye has been crusting up, but it is only in the corner and wet it's pinkish/clear and when it dries its a darker brown black...so this is 'normal' for the Sphynx breed?

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Wow folks, now I learned something new today too! I just assumed all eye boogeys were bad...Hibou's one eye has been crusting up, but it is only in the corner and wet it's pinkish/clear and when it dries its a darker brown black...so this is 'normal' for the Sphynx breed?

Its normal in my house.:BigSmile: If its something that has just started happening tho you might still wanna get her checked out by the vet. Snuffie's eyes have always done it.

J

Jinxlover

Blueberrries eyes do it to, it's normal for Sphynx. I was told It's cuz they have no eyelashes to keep all the crud out.

lpotter

Lairian
A home remedy that often soothes an irritated eye on humans and cats is to make a cup of tea, let it cool, then dip a cotton ball or similar into the tea and wipe the eye gently with the tea soaked cotton ball. Do this a few times/day. If the irritation persist or worsens, of course, see/consult your vet.

susi794

Staff member
A home remedy that often soothes an irritated eye on humans and cats is to make a cup of tea, let it cool, then dip a cotton ball or similar into the tea and wipe the eye gently with the tea soaked cotton ball. Do this a few times/day. If the irritation persist or worsens, of course, see/consult your vet.
Thanks, Laurie! I'll be adding that one to my bag of tricks. Love your avatar--Domino is so handsome! How are Luna and the babies?

Back