Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Eye Gunk Cleaning advice

LunatheLunatic

Lairian
Hi all hoping someone has some advice!

So when I got Luna her eye gunk was green/yellow and definitely had signs of URI, so took her to the vets and they treated her for conjecuvitus, but it just kept coming back so after 3 months of different medicine we found she had developed a bacteria Staphylococcus felis in her eyes - after some strong eye drops she's all clear now.

However, her eyes are getting extra brown gunky now and her skin on her face has gone so oily that shes getting spots around them - does anyone have any advice on how I can give them a good clean without irritating her skin and eyes - I use sensitive non fragrant wipes twice a day at the moment.

Attachments

• 20210412_213324.jpg
    20210412_213324.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 26

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bless you. I feel your frustration. I have no advice. My little man also had conjunctivitis and was diagnosed with Clamidia URI. My vet gave me a weeks antibiotic but advised me against doing the full 4week treatment as the side effects of the antibiotics is not worth the risk.
I clean his eyes 2to 3times a day also. He hates it but tolerates it. I find it especially bad after he sleeps . I do use sterilised water as an eye drops to clean it when his eyes look a little inflamed and it tends to help. But the black muck is constant and daily. Strange but when I take home out in the fresh air it clears up.
My vet said dry air will effect it. I have a humidifier on in his room at night and it does help.

I hope you can find an ease to your worries in this post or from other more experienced ladies in the group.

LunatheLunatic

Lairian
Bless you. I feel your frustration. I have no advice. My little man also had conjunctivitis and was diagnosed with Clamidia URI. My vet gave me a weeks antibiotic but advised me against doing the full 4week treatment as the side effects of the antibiotics is not worth the risk.
I clean his eyes 2to 3times a day also. He hates it but tolerates it. I find it especially bad after he sleeps . I do use sterilised water as an eye drops to clean it when his eyes look a little inflamed and it tends to help. But the black muck is constant and daily. Strange but when I take home out in the fresh air it clears up.
My vet said dry air will effect it. I have a humidifier on in his room at night and it does help.

I hope you can find an ease to your worries in this post or from other more experienced ladies in the group.
Hi @Natalie Murphy thank you do much for your advice!
I'm going to try the sterilised water as eye drops to see if that helps when they are looking inflamed

I dont mind cleaning the gunk I just cant seem to ever get the build up on the corner of her eyes out properly and I just dont want to hurt her

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It flairs up from environmental dust and pollen for example and food allergies. I also found it flairs up when they are stressed and run down. Conjunctivitis can wax and wane and we were on multiple courses of conoptal. Using a soft non woven swab and warm water is good to remove goop and also boiling water letting it cool to room temperature with a dash of salt to create saline solution to flush the eyes helps. You may be able to purchase saline drops suitable for animal eyes too by asking the vet. @Natalie Murphy what antibiotics did you get prescribed and what risks did the vet talk about?

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It flairs up from environmental dust and pollen for example and food allergies. I also found it flairs up when they are stressed and run down. Conjunctivitis can wax and wane and we were on multiple courses of conoptal. Using a soft non woven swab and warm water is good to remove goop and also boiling water letting it cool to room temperature with a dash of salt to create saline solution to flush the eyes helps. You may be able to purchase saline drops suitable for animal eyes too by asking the vet. @Natalie Murphy what antibiotics did you get prescribed and what risks did the vet talk about?
I have to honest I do not have a clue. As I speak no Chinese and my vet speaks no English. We use a translator. He took out a medical journal and showed me the the treatment and medication process to deal with it. I translated it then I asked him what would he suggest as I know he too owns cats I went on his personal opinion. I am thinking of going to another vet for a second opinion. I am just waiting for him to be one years old So he is fully developed before That is next month. He has only had 1 flare up since his was diagnosed in October

LunatheLunatic

Lairian
@pussiette, I will try all this before I ask the vets if they have any saline drops.

Luna has been back and forth to the vets (not just eye related issues) so much lately that now the conjunctivitis and bacteria is all clear I want to give her and myself a break from the vets we have basically lived there for the last 3 months it's scary when the 2 different shifts of vets and nurses start to recognize you before you even reach their desk

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
However you want to use it. Q-tip, cotton round or directly in the eye. There should be instructions on the bottle that you can read via the amazon ad.

LunatheLunatic

Lairian
Hi all thank you for all the advice, I've just got back from work and Lunas face was so bad it was like reddish brown wax all over her face

I used cotton pads and cotton buds in warm water to remove and it's got most of the nasty brown stuff even the build up in the corner from her eyes which was much better that the wipes! Her poor face is full of scabs and spots at the moment though so I put a soothing cream subscribed by the vets (for a different rash) and hopefully that will sooth her little face, I also bought these tiny empty spray bottles with pipettes which should be here tomorrow so I can prepare my own saline water and disinfected water (where we are it's full of limescale) and I'm going to try cleaning her eyes for a week and see how we get on.

If not I will try the Vetericyn eye wash and if that's no good I think another visit to vets needs to happen

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Natalie Murphy yes I'd check with another vet because antibiotics usually get taken for the whole course otherwise the bacteria can get resistant. I am interested on what the vet meant.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Natalie Murphy yes I'd check with another vet because antibiotics usually get taken for the whole course otherwise the bacteria can get resistant. I am interested on what the vet meant.
I agree it's very strange because I've always been told to finish all the pills. It is true that you don't want to overdo antibiotics but once you are taking them I have always been told to finish them.

kelsheyyx

Lairian
Hi all hoping someone has some advice!

So when I got Luna her eye gunk was green/yellow and definitely had signs of URI, so took her to the vets and they treated her for conjecuvitus, but it just kept coming back so after 3 months of different medicine we found she had developed a bacteria Staphylococcus felis in her eyes - after some strong eye drops she's all clear now.

However, her eyes are getting extra brown gunky now and her skin on her face has gone so oily that shes getting spots around them - does anyone have any advice on how I can give them a good clean without irritating her skin and eyes - I use sensitive non fragrant wipes twice a day at the moment.
So happy her eyes are better! I find a wet cloth or paper towel does the job just fine.

Back