Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Eye infection? Need advice!

kirasmom

Lairian
What used to be the occasional eye booger seems to have increased for our girl recently. I am now cleaning out discharge from her eyes at least twice a day... and initially I thought maybe just allergies were getting to her, but the discharge has gotten less "black" as it dries (which I think is the normal) and more yellow/liquid. It also seems to be in the right in eye in particular.

Attached are some pictures of her eyes earlier today. Do you think we should go see the vet for antibiotics? Or can this be solved by adding L-Lysine to her food (which I read as a recommendation in other places)?

Thank you for any advice!

IMG_6270.JPG
IMG_6268.JPG

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
The color isn’t green/yellowish so doubt an infection. I would give the L-lysine a try. Could just be due to the change in seasons and different allergens.

kirasmom

Lairian
No sneezing or any other changes in behavior (that we've noticed).

I'm going to order some L-lysine and see if that makes any difference. Otherwise, I'll just monitor, and take her in if it gets any more noticeable/changes colors.

Thank you for the help!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Just looks like eye boogers to me. Not bad ones. Wolfgang has seasonal allergies and his eyes run more not that the pollen is high here. So I just get them out as needed.
Try the lysine, it has worked great on some of my sphynx that have passed on

meandmytwo

Lairian
Both my boys get these daily in both eyes. Brown. Sometimes thick, sometimes more watery. I wipe in the morning and sometimes they even return later in the day. Is that considered abnormal? I thought it was a regular thing for all Sphynx.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kirasmom , checking in for updates

Here the the Eyebright eye wash recipe mentioned by @Staceyxxx

Admin quoted in past thread .. I believe this is the original recipe for anyone who needs it - I will make this thread a sticky since this recipe has been used with good results.

THIS SOOTHING AND HEALING EYEWASH
CAN BE USED ON HUMANS AND ANIMALS

Eyebright Eyewash

BOIL ½ CUP PURIFIED WATER
REMOVE FRO M HEAT
ADD ½ TEASPOON EYEBRIGHT LOOSE HERB
LET SIT FOR 10 MINUTES
STRAIN THROUGH FINE CLOTH
COOL

WASH EYES 3 TIMES DAILY
USE 3 – 4 DAYS AFTER SYMPTONS DISAPPEAR

KEEP REFRIDGERATED
SIT OUT FOR 30 – 45 MINUTES TO WARM UP BEFORE USE

AFTER 2 DAYS MAKE A NEW BATCH

CAN BE USED AS AN EYEWASH WITH OTHER MEDICATIONS.
ALWAYS ALOW AT LEAST AN HOUR BETWEEN EYEBRIGHT
AND OTHER EYE MEDICATIONS.

EYEBRIGHT CAN BE PURCHASED IN BULK AT MOST
HEALTH FOOD OR HERB STORES.

TO WASH YOUR PETS EYES SOAK A COTTON BALL
IN EYEWASH AND SQUEEZE OUT OVER PETS EYES.

TO AVOID CONTAMINATION DO NOT PUT THE COTTON
BALL BACK IN TO EYEWASH AFTER USING.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Staceyxxx , to help find links
You can use the top right search "oval bubble" for specific topics

Also the information center and "similar threads" on the bottom of pages is a good method

Here is a link that helps navigate the site
Site News ~ Questions?

Head smooches sent ! Thanks for reminding us all of the Eyebright eyewash :)

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Staceyxxx , to help find links
You can use the top right search "oval bubble" for specific topics

Also the information center and "similar threads" on the bottom of pages is a good method

Here is a link that helps navigate the site
Site News ~ Questions?

Head smooches sent ! Thanks for reminding us all of the Eyebright eyewash :)
Thanks so much

kirasmom

Lairian
Thank you for the helpful advice! I am getting some Eyebright and will try using the wash. Her eye boogers have seemed to go back down in frequency, so I think it was just allergies.... first time Mom here was just nervous and wasn't sure what was allergies and what was potentially something more serious. :happy:

I will be keeping the Eyebright recipe in my back pocket for any future flare ups as well! Thanks again!

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bless, eye bright is good! I was the same, but you get good advice n knowledge from this site, some have so much experience n in time you get more confidence! Xx

Blueyz

Lairian
Hi there, if the discharge persists, please consider taking your baby to a vet. If you see the eye lid drooping, even in the slightest or she starts eating or moving less than usual, take her in immediately. One of my girls, Hunter just had an eye removed. The infection she got went from secretions on day one, to day four, emergency eye removal or she would have died. Give her a hug from me please!

kirasmom

Lairian
Hi there, if the discharge persists, please consider taking your baby to a vet. If you see the eye lid drooping, even in the slightest or she starts eating or moving less than usual, take her in immediately. One of my girls, Hunter just had an eye removed. The infection she got went from secretions on day one, to day four, emergency eye removal or she would have died. Give her a hug from me please!

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that!! But thank goodness you caught it in time. Give her hugs!!

Back