Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Eye infection

Donellajo

Lairian
I have someone that offered me a kitten for $800. Due to her having an eye infection. I’m still trying to get details . And of course I would take her to my vet ASAP if I get her . They said they are putting in eye cream and drops . Has anyone else seen this

Attachments

• EA7D181D-59B6-4264-B573-4B6E6B93B763.jpeg
    EA7D181D-59B6-4264-B573-4B6E6B93B763.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 81

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I have someone that offered me a kitten for $800. Due to her having an eye infection. I’m still trying to get details . And of course I would take her to my vet ASAP if I get her . They said they are putting in eye cream and drops . Has anyone else seen this
That could be Feline herpes or Entropion amongst multiple other types of eye infections out there, Keep in mind it can become VERY costly with medical bills and the cat could lose the eye, it looks pretty bad in the photo. Keep us updated on your decision. :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with @admin it is very chancy. Care will not be covered by insurance because it would be considered a pre-existing condition. Not sure how close you live to the breeder, but is it possible they will let you to take to your own vet for a diagnosis or you go with them to their vet? You pay for the vet visit but at least you would feel better and know the cost/prognosis that lies ahead. Every baby deserves a good home and if it looks like very large bills/surgery many reputable breeders would rather see a baby go to a good home for much less than $800 and leave the care costs to their new owners and forgo themselves having to pay for the care and them having to rehome them.

Donellajo

Lairian
I know . I wish they would take less . I live like 4hrs away would rather use the $800 at vet . They said someone else is looking at her on Sunday.

Donellajo

Lairian
Yeah I told her I would of taken her but would rather spend the $800 on her vet care . Because her corneas even look damaged . I told the lady most likely the other kittens and parents have it and she’s selling others at 1350

Yoda mom

Staff member
I have s kitty thst just went thru a corneal sequestrum - thankful didn't need the $3,000 dollar surgery ! It was costl drops amd medicstion samd we got lucky it was caught in time to avoid surgery - even a possible eye removal I was told -

I personally think there would be no rehoming fee in lieu of the eye care . But that's just my opinion . You could ask for the actually copy of the thr kitties vet chart noted to know what you are considering dealing with

It's a big undertaking kudos to you for reaching out and asking questions

Here are good links
What to expect from a responsible sphynx breeder

How to Detect fraud sphynx cat adoption ads

Back