Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Eye issues after ear treatment..

LisaBrass

Lairian
Hello y’all, hoping someone might have some insight that’ll calm this Mama’s heart.

I recently took my boy, Zion (3yo), into a somewhat new vet for what I thought might be allergies.. he had a watery left eye that wasn’t getting better like it usually would. Vet checked/tested ears and ended up saying his left ear had an infection so it was treated with Osurnia (Otic gel)..

4 hours later after we were home and he woke from a nap his third eyelid was half way over his eye and he seemed painful, swollen/sunken. Also, his pupils aren’t symmetrical.. left isn’t dilated properly. I have never seen his eye like that..Rinsed it and called multiple emergency vets who all gave different answers, but none familiar with Osurnia.
At the time I was worried some might have drained into his eye while sleeping considering he has no fluff to protect or detour it from doing so..

I was able to get him back in to the same vet the next day. Vet assumed it was a herpes flare up caused by the ear infection.. he wasn’t and hasn’t been tested yet, which I’m not sure why now..eyedrops were prescribed for a week. During that week he lost most interest in food and pretty much everything, became completely off balanced and weak. He finally gained an appetite and got some balance back..went back again for a second round of Osurnia.

His eye continued to look the same and next check up I was told his ear infection was cleared and new eye drops prescribed.. went from a steroid to non steroid to try soothing his eye.
Would an oral antibiotic normally be prescribed too for an ear/eye infection??

Since that visit, 4 days ago, his energy and everything seems mostly normal, but these eyedrops don’t seem to be helping either and oddly enough his ear seems to be bothering him now when it hadn’t seemed to phase him prior to the first visit. I did give him about a days break between the switch in drops to see if maybe having his eye handled so much was actually adding to the mess, it didn’t seem to make a difference.

I’ve stressed I had concerns about Osurnia possibly getting in his eye while he slept, they claimed highly unlikely.. even though I had to constantly keep it from running from his ear. They did an eye test with dye to make sure his eye wasn’t scratched and said it looks healthy aside from the swelling and third eyelid/pupil..

When looking up Osurnia side effects there’s been eye damage due to drainage/splatter from shakingand Horners Syndrome was also mentioned.

After looking into it I can’t help but feel Horners Syndrome seems like what could be going on with him..it can be caused by the treatment and or the medication used.
I am planning to call tomorrow to let them know I feel like these drops aren’t making things any better, if anything they seem to irritate him more.

I was just hoping someone might possibly have some thoughts on this. Has any of you dealt with a similar situation? Anyone familiar with Horners Syndrome?
My apologies for the unorganized rant, unable to sleep hoping to find answers for my baby.

9B9CC12B-354D-4181-8538-BFC4F3BA9794.jpeg

Normal..

098773A4-9A86-402D-94AE-BC61228EC5DE.jpeg

Top Two are day of first appointment
Bottom Two are 4 hours after treatment

637C980C-F74A-4CD0-A7B3-A39E4973821A.jpeg

Tonight. Not the best picture of course..

Attachments

• 44EB3E35-6AF1-447C-8DA2-7577E3115A27.jpeg
    44EB3E35-6AF1-447C-8DA2-7577E3115A27.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 13

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That looks to be conjunctivitus.

Have the vet run some tests on the eye and use the special lamp for a diagnostic.

Conoptal has been used with success.

As for a possible drug interaction from the ear drops, document and contact the company by email and telephone, also speak to the vet.

I have had success with Canaural ear drops/

Do let us know how you go.

But if you current vet is not able to help with this especially the eyes, seek immediate veterinary assistance elsewhere asap.

LisaBrass

Lairian
Thank you for your response.

The eyedrops we were given were to treat conjunctivitis and were switched because we saw no improvement over two weeks. The vet said if the new drops don’t help then there’s bloodwork to be done, which now I’m thinking it should’ve been done in the first place and might push for it sooner.

I know the vet did an eye stain and has looked with a light, but not sure with the lamp.

I will definitely be getting in touch with the company and have been communicating with the vet as well, hoping to get him in sooner and considering taking him in for a second opinion.

I appreciate you giving me some ideas for successful medications I can inquire about.
I’m attaching pictures of the two drops we’ve been using incase that helps anyone.

I feel terrible that he seems worse off now after having treatments..Just strange to have him seem so normal then have these issues with his ear/eye appear right after having his ear handled :(

Thanks again for your time!

1st
00A49741-3A88-476D-95A7-85762539E85B.jpeg

2nd (current)
70B5D4CF-3B35-4BE2-9396-4EB83599CBF8.jpeg

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you for sharing information. I can only speak from experience and having positive experiences with the eye ointment and ear drops that I mentioned.

Are those medicines that you were given human grade or Vetinary? They appear complex and sulfates can cause issues.

Have you ceased all medication?

How long did it take for the eye to go bad after the ear treatment?

When are you taking him to hospital? Perhaps he needs to see an ophthalmologists.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LisaBrass hugs n positive vibes. ears, nose , throat all connected as you know. I am sorry I dont have experience with those particular drops with my kitties but did use with my pup.

the eye drops yoda sphynx had were idoxuridine, oflaxacin, and I drop vet gel ( I get i drop vet gel from alliver recommended by ophthalmologist . I also have used terramycin.
I personally would consider not using the osurnia till you can talk with vet and share those pics via email. , and definitely ask vet about discontinuing the osurnia ask a possible reaction?
my vet got me hooked on trizultra with keto to wipe out ears on cotton flat round.
I did learn and wish I did sooner a referral straight to the ophthalmologist. went there, cut to the chase, got proper meds and all healed.

following closely for updates for your baby

Back