Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Eyebright and Susi are AMAZING!!!

kristininn

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Susi - I have to thank you again. You are a guardian angel to Sphynx and Sphynx owners!

As many of you know, Winston has been having a hard time with a very runny eye due to a malformed tear duct, allergies, and irritation from our radiators/dry heat. I finally tried the eyebright wash and it has been a miracle for my much loved pink boy!! After one week of applying cotton balls soaked in the tea x3 daily, Winston's eye has returned to normal and he seems so much happier for it.

I cannot recommend the stuff enough! Here's what I've been using:
Two 430mg capsules of Eyebright Herb dumped in to a glass
1 cup hot water
1/4 teaspoon of salt

I mix all of the above together and let the "tea" steep for 10 minutes. I then wrap two cotton balls in a paper towel and dip them in the mixture. This prevents any of the loose herb from getting on the cotton ball. I wring them out and then hold the cotton balls against Winnie's eyes for as long as he'll tolerate it - generally about a minute. I then wipe his eyelids with the cotton balls. The tea keeps for about 3 days and I microwave it and stir before each use.

If you have a kitty with a runny eye, TRY THIS!!!!! We tried so many other things - drops, ointments, oral antibiotics - trying to find some relief for my boy, and here, thankfully, it was a natural remedy that finally worked.

Thank you so much, Susi, for all the wisdom you share on this forum. You have made such a difference in the lives of me and my boys, and for that I am eternally grateful. Winston, Henry and I all send our love and many clear-eyed blinks of gratitude!!!

Nefertari

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yay! Glad to hear winnie's eyes are better :BigSmile:

Olive60386

Lairian
Oh this makes me so happy! My Zero kitty occasionally has this problem but usually just clears up on its own.....I think maybe Olive might scratch her in the eye! I will write this down! Thank you so very much!

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yay For Winnie I'm so glad he is on the mends and round of applause for Susi!! :BigSmile:

lucylue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm glad his eye is better and I will write this down just in case!!#

susi794

Staff member
Great job! So glad the eyebright is doing what it's supposed to do. You are using the capsules? I use the loose herb and don't add the salt...but that is probably good to do. I think I will add that to tweak my recipe. I can't take credit though....got that recipe from someone who used to be a member a long time ago. But I am always interested in things that work that don't cost me an arm and a leg and don't endanger my cats. So happy this helped Winnie!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I believe this is the original recipe for anyone who needs it - I will make this thread a sticky since this recipe has been used with good results.

THIS SOOTHING AND HEALING EYEWASH
CAN BE USED ON HUMANS AND ANIMALS

Eyebright Eyewash

BOIL ½ CUP PURIFIED WATER
REMOVE FRO M HEAT
ADD ½ TEASPOON EYEBRIGHT LOOSE HERB
LET SIT FOR 10 MINUTES
STRAIN THROUGH FINE CLOTH
COOL

WASH EYES 3 TIMES DAILY
USE 3 – 4 DAYS AFTER SYMPTONS DISAPPEAR

KEEP REFRIDGERATED
SIT OUT FOR 30 – 45 MINUTES TO WARM UP BEFORE USE

AFTER 2 DAYS MAKE A NEW BATCH

CAN BE USED AS AN EYEWASH WITH OTHER MEDICATIONS.
ALWAYS ALOW AT LEAST AN HOUR BETWEEN EYEBRIGHT
AND OTHER EYE MEDICATIONS.

EYEBRIGHT CAN BE PURCHASED IN BULK AT MOST
HEALTH FOOD OR HERB STORES.

TO WASH YOUR PETS EYES SOAK A COTTON BALL
IN EYEWASH AND SQUEEZE OUT OVER PETS EYES.

TO AVOID CONTAMINATION DO NOT PUT THE COTTON
BALL BACK IN TO EYEWASH AFTER USING.

susi794

Staff member
I've been using it on Candy Cane for a long time.....my vet even asked me for the recipe. It really does work.

ilovedirt

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Glad to hear this helped Winnie's eye! I'm going to try this for Vega as well. He's got a runny eye...switching to raw helped a lot but it is still there

susi794

Staff member
@Wyrmskin...follow your gut, but if you decide to wait, try this eye wash. I swear by it.

susi794

Staff member
Maybe...not sure of the strength, but I read the reviews and somebody wrote they used in on their cat with a blocked tear duct and they said it worked great. So not sure. If you try it, please let us know how it goes.