Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

eye's oozing! HELP! :(

dustinronald

Lairian
Hi, i am a first time sphynx owner and everything is going great, but at about 6 months my kitten started to have more discharge coming from his eye and it is greater specifically in his right eye. The discharge looks brownish and i have been bathing him more and cleaning his eyes twice a day but it still doesn't help. I am going to take him to the vet but wanted to have some background knowledge before?

Can anybody lead me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated.

Dustin and "Hefner"

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Dustin & Hefner,

Welcome to the Lair. I'm glad you're taking Hefner to the vet; sounds like he might need some antibiotics. There is a very recent thread titled "eye infection?" . If you type that in the search bar above & look under "titles only", it will come up. Sorry, haven't figured out how to link to another thread yet :Dizzy:

Again, welcome! Hope your baby feels better soon!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
It may be infection due to the color you described. Be sure to see the vet ASAP. In the meantime get some Lysine to help boost his immune system. Oh, by the way welcome to the Lair!:ThumbsUp:

Hello and welcome to the Lair! My Gable's left eye gets very runny at times. One time it was due to a URI, for which the vet prescribed oral antibiotics, as well as antibiotic ointment for his eye. I also give him Lysine daily and up the dosage a bit when his eye starts running again. This helps a lot!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
i live in ontario, canada
where can i buy lysine?

Not sure of your store choices there but if you have WalMart it can be found in the vitamin section or any local drug store that sells vitamins should carry it.

p.s
Welcome to the Lair!!!!!! Seeing the vet is the best option just to rule out anything going on.

Last edited:

holly_savage

Banned
i live in ontario, canada
where can i buy lysine?

Hi Dustin, I live in Ontario too!
About the lysine, I get mine in a gel formulation from the vet office. I mix it into their wet food.

It is probably more expenssive this way, but less work. So you decide which suits you better. I have not seen Lysine at our Wal-Mart, but you could also try a Shopper`s Drug Mart or some other pharmacy. Or a Natural Holistic vitamin type store.

holly_savage

Banned
Oh and BTW to all the Lair members, I thought that the reddish brown eye boogers were the normal ones! I thought it was yellow or green you had to worry about...please correct me if I misunderstood.

susi794

Staff member
You're right, Holly. But IMO, excessively tearing or oozing eyes warrants a vet visit just to make sure it's not something you need to worry about.
Welcome, Dustin and Hefner!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Oh and BTW to all the Lair members, I thought that the reddish brown eye boogers were the normal ones! I thought it was yellow or green you had to worry about...please correct me if I misunderstood.

Yes, that's generally correct, but because its from just one eye and she referenced it as discharge, it was a little alarming. I guess I'm saying it would not hurt to see the vet. If it causes concern to an owner. Thanks Holly Savage!

Last edited by a moderator:

jovanna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I read that, for minor infections, it is o.k. to rinse the eye with plain contact lens saline solution and/or administer polysporin eye drops. I'm not sure what the dosage for the latter would be for a cat.

jovanna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I found some information regarding using the polysporin eye drops to treat minor eye infections in cats. The dosage is 1-2 drops twice a day for 5 days.

dustinronald

Lairian
Hello Everyone and thank you very much for you replies and concerns for my lil' Hef.

The unfortunate part is veterinarians do not get to see many sphynx's to know and have experience in dealing with there specific health issues. This is what the vet said the brown/watery discharge could be from:

1. Allergies (pollen etc... interesting thing is that it could be a coincidence but this kind of all started in the spring time).

2. The bottom of Hef's eye lids could be blocking his tear ducts partially causing more discharge which she stated could require surgery (this sounds ridiculous to me).

The vet stated she felt very strongly that this was not an eye infection.

She prescribed Chloramphenicol ointment for his eyes twice a day which is a broad-spectrum antibiotic.

Now that Hef's 10 mths she drilled into me about vaccinations (which is probably there cash cow) so thats another ballgame that i will have to research.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks for the update on Hef. Hopefully his eye will feel better soon.

It is good to remind ourselves that indoor pets can have seasonal allergies. Tree pollen was very high in our area this spring and ragweed is said to be set to dominate the fall. Not to mention dust bunnies can get in their nose and eyes if they like to investigate places that aren't easy to dust or vacuum.

MontyBurns

Lairian
My sphynx has the same condition, I posted a thread too maybe a week ago and the vet also said that it looked like allergies. Hope yours is doing fine. My Mr. Burns has gotten better each day and I wasn't prescribed anything.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It usually helps if you keep them bathed and wipe their face daily. This helps keep pollen and allergens off.:BigSmile:I like that name Hefner - :BigSmile:

dustinronald

Lairian
Hey everyone,

Just to update the Chloramphenicol does not seem to be making an improvement. I am just wondering to all those sphynx owners out there, is it normal to see this brown discharge (almost like a booger). I am going to continue the ointment for 1 week (im sure it wont help)... Maybe i just need to do more frequent eye care?

Back