Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Ezio has pillow foot!

lapril

Lairian
Hi all,

I just wanted to report on a condition that Ezio came down with--pillow foot. It's an inflammation of the paw pads that is a result of the accumulation of white blood cells/platelets in the paw pad. He doesn't seem to be in pain. You can see his enlarged paw pad in the pics. I took him to the vet and they drew blood to make sure it wasn't related to diabetes or FIV and thankfully he tested negative. Apparently he does have an infection and he's on meds now. My research has shown that this is a pretty rare affliction. My poor little boo boo. Hopefully his little feet get better soon!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 129

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Awwwww....@yoda mom has been dealing with this as well. Hoping she can give some advice. What meds were prescribed?

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@lapril , Awh Ezio .. Healing vibes sent -
What treatment plan was prescribed?

I am literally in the process of treating my Batman for pillow foot

He was sent home with a prescription of prednisone and doxycycline amd quadritop ointment .
My vet had me apply quadritop and wrap it at home per instructions to leave on for two days and recheck.

I Kept his foot wrap for two days ,then removed wrap , soaked it in water with a few drops of povodine.
I found it easier to put him on all fours on the ground with his foot standing in a bowl .
I also sprayed his foot a few times a day with Vetericyn VF spray

The wound has closed and he is much more active amd happier :)
He is still on doxy antibiotics 2x a day even tough it looks completely healed on the outside .
My vet give me a prescription refillabe for 3 months .

I get it filled at Walmart 14 pills for $32
( tech told me to go to rx discount code which instantly sent me a texted code
To use during check out to save $20 off the prescription .
Just refilled for same price did not need to provide any other codes or info -
1800 pet meds has a liquid available too .

Sending healing vibes and ((hugs)))

Please keep me update often ...
I feel so bad our kitties are going thru this :(

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@lapril My Grayson went through this. I helped @Yoda mom with her Batman that is still on meds for it now.

Ezio will get all better, but you have to be patient. The minimum time to be on Doxy is two months and then see if there is any swelling, puffiness and squishy-ness to the touch (especially compared to the other paw pads at the two month mark). Other antibiotics make it a bit better, but it will keep coming back.

It amazed me how playful my Grayson became while on the Doxy treatment. It showed me how uncomfortable he was before treatment. I have asked Yoda Mom a few times if she has noticed a difference in Batman's playfulness and she most certainly has as well.

I gave Grayson FortiFlora every single day while on the Doxy and it "saved" his very sensitive stomach. I made sure that he ate well enough before giving him the syringe of the Doxy compound, otherwise he threw up.

lapril

Lairian
@lapril , Awh Ezio .. Healing vibes sent -
What treatment plan was prescribed?

I am literally in the process of treating my Batman for pillow foot

He was sent home with a prescription of prednisone and doxycycline amd quadritop ointment .
My vet had me apply quadritop and wrap it at home per instructions to leave on for two days and recheck.

I Kept his foot wrap for two days ,then removed wrap , soaked it in water with a few drops of povodine.
I found it easier to put him on all fours on the ground with his foot standing in a bowl .
I also sprayed his foot a few times a day with Vetericyn VF spray

The wound has closed and he is much more active amd happier :)
He is still on doxy antibiotics 2x a day even tough it looks completely healed on the outside .
My vet give me a prescription refillabe for 3 months .

I get it filled at Walmart 14 pills for $32
( tech told me to go to rx discount code which instantly sent me a texted code
To use during check out to save $20 off the prescription .
Just refilled for same price did not need to provide any other codes or info -
1800 pet meds has a liquid available too .

Sending healing vibes and ((hugs)))

Please keep me update often ...
I feel so bad our kitties are going thru this :(
Poor Batman! My vet prescribed the doxycycline for 2 weeks. We're just finished week 1 of treatment and his paw pads look a little better. I'm going back next week and the vet said he might prescribe the ointment then. Ezio doesn't have any open wounds thankfully. How long has Batman had this?

lapril

Lairian
Yodamom I feel so silly for missing your thread! I went back to read it. I wanted to mention that his doxycycline is pill form, but my vet recommended that I open the capsule and sprinkle the powder over Ezio's food. That's what I've been doing because there's absolutely no way he would tolerate swallowing that pill.

lapril

Lairian
Yea we are returning to the vet after 2 weeks, he said he would prescribe steroids if it's not cleared up by then. I'm concerned! I don't want to go on the steroids. I've heard that they compromise the immune system even more...

Yoda mom

Staff member
@lapril , ((hugs))) we are on month two of 2x a day pills

I actually took him to the vet to rule out pillow foot I suspected
she told me it was an abrasion argh -not-

She obviously changed her mind and concurred with pillow foot amd wants the doxy for a few months.
We only did the prednisone the first week .

Now it's just been doxy 2x a day.
I got a pill dispenser from the vet
We cradle him amd use the pill popper followed by a little plunger of some water .
He was horrible at first - now amazingly good at pill time -

I can't sprinkle in food bcz he refuses all wet food :(

I am trying to educate myself more on pilow foot - this is the first cat I have ever ever had with pillow foot -
everyrhing I read says to continue thr doxy for several months

All paws crossed our babies heal without any reoccurrence-
I check his other paws daily too*

Everthing I have read and been told (thanks @GoldHazel )
Says they need to be on doxy for a few months -
My vet gave me 3 mos worth of refills of doxy
Amd we do not use any more Pred after the first week

I would cast with your vet amd ask if it would be best for Ezio to continue the doxy for at least two months

We will have to keep each other updated often

Last edited:

lapril

Lairian
All of you are so sweet. I love this community:cat:
Ezio has been taking his doxycycline daily for two weeks now. I've continued to open the capsule and pour the powder over his food. No problems eating it. I've been monitoring his paws daily and they've reduced in swelling significantly. It's not completely healed though. We have a vet appointment tomorrow morning (9/18). I'm going to suggest to the vet that Ezio remain on the doxy. I'm concerned he might be reluctant though. When I told my husband about the minimum 2 month treatment, he was shocked. He's a human doc, not a vet, but he said that was an extremely long time to be on something like doxy. I just want boo boo to get better. It still appears as though he's not in pain-- still running around and getting into lots of sphynx trouble. I hope it stays that way. I'll check in tomorrow after the appointment.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@lapril , checking in on Ezio
How was the vet visit?

My Batman is still on doxy for pillow foot - have one more month refill
( total of 3)

My boy runs around jumps etc
I would never know something wrong pillow foot
Unless I palpate his paw pads and it feels like. A partially deflated ball :(
I keep checking for it to firm up

Back